Samsung HL-R4667W external speaker hookup?

Username: Hirado

Fort Myers Beach, Florida USA

Post Number: 1
Can you hookup external speakers to this DLP unit without going through an amplifier? I've installed it in my old wood NEC 48" projection tv cabinet (old guts removed) & would like to use it's old stereo speakers. I put RCA plugs on the wire ends, plugged them into the audio-out but get no output. Samsungs FAQ database say's YES, the owners manual say's NO without an amplifier. Samsungs techs are unsure. I would appreciate some creative help.

Username: Old_tv_man

Post Number: 1
You sure can I just did mine last week. Raise the tv up about 2 inches with blocks. This allows the lower front panel (which needs to be removed) to freely float in the air. Remove the 4 screws that hold the panel from the rear, then the remaining attachments for the panel are just push in snaps. Remove cover, remove center electrical parts or tie up with tape,locate speakers, drill hole in bottom side of cabinet near speakers. I used some old audio cables I had around with RCA female connectors on one end. Run leads thru drilled holes and solder to speakers. You may leave the old ones connected or not. Works great

Username: Hirado

Fort Myers Beach, Florida USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks Bill...This seems logical to me. My old NEC had connecters on it's back that I used to hook up four small bookshelf spkrs. I'd like to extend the DLP's internal speaker leads to a back panel so I could have options on externals. Any danger with overloading the internal amplifier? Will this void the warranty?

Username: Old_tv_man

Post Number: 2
Jay,
I don't think there is any problem with overloading the amp. They are 15w per channel.
I don't have a scematic to verify the speaker load but feel confident there will be no problem.
I do this to every tv I have ever had and had no problems.
As to voiding the warranty, Anything you do to an in warranty unit would allow the mfg. to void the warrenty if they wished. As the rare instance the Samsung would fail during the Warr period is miminal I don't give it much thought.
However I usually try to make the modification so that it can be returned back to stock easily in case it does need service. The wires to the speakers will terminate on the main chassis board but I didn't bother to trace them out and just went directly to the speakers, (the easier way.)

Bill
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us