Help w/ new system. THX/1080p/7.1 - Why bother??

Username: Jeff10d

Post Number: 7
Hey all,
I'm getting this new system soon. Problems:
- Why get a 1080p/THX/7.1 receiver? Do i need a THX DVD player also?? Are there 1080p/THX/7.1 encoded sat/cable/HD Tuner signals? or on DVDs?
I haven't found a 1080p HD tuner. I found a 1080p DVD player, but this is just upconverting, right? Do DVDs even come in a 1080p quality? Also, there isn't 7.1 surround for DVD players unless you get a HD DVD player or blue ray? It seems a 1080p HDTV is a waste, as well as a THX receiver and 7.1 speakers.

- What HD signal is sent by cable and satellite? 720p? is THX in the stream? 7.1?
- Normal, over-the-air, HD tuner signal? 720p?
- DVDs - THX/720p/7.1 ??
- DVD players - Have to get a HD DVD player THX/7.1/1080p?

Any help appreciated!! Luv this place!!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
My current thoughts for a system:
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

- Westinghouse LVM-42w2 42" HDTV-ready 1080p LCD monitor w/ ServiceNet 3Yr Service

- Sanus VMPL250b VisionMount Low Profile Wall Mount (1.25" from wall) - for 30" to 50" Flat Panel Plasma & LCD TVs

- Samsung DVD-HD960 with selectable 720p/1080i/1080p output via HDMI

- Onkyo TX-SR803-B 105 Watts per Channel x7, Built-in Dolby Digital, DTS, AM/FM Tuner,

THX, HDMI, Home Theater Receiver

- JBL SCS-300.7 SCS Series Complete 8-Piece Home Cinema Speaker System

- HUMAX HFA100 HDTV Tuner with HDMI Digital Output ( HFA100 ) (HFA100)

- Terk Technologies HDTVi VHF/UHF HDTV Indoor Antenna

- Monster PowerCenter HTS 1000 MKII

Any ideas for what I should do different?

Username: Ninjamurf

San Diego , Ca USA

Post Number: 6
Jeff, a couple of things that might make it a bit clearer (although I'm sure better answers are sure to follow from others.)

As I understand it, THX is merely a "certification" process and doesn't add anything magical to the equipment. If you are a manufacturer and you think your "system" has what it takes you can go to George Lucas and let his group run tests. If they pass you are allowed to put THX on your reciever or what have you. (Is this the same with Dolby or are their actual techinical specs that need to be met?) Anyway, from what I understand you can have a kick butt reciever but if the manufacturer said, "bah, I don't need Lucas to tell me it's good," then it won't have THX on the side, but it will still be a kick butt reciever.

As for HD signals sent via cable or satellite, it depends on the actual broadcast channel. Fox, for example, will broadcast it's football games in 720p. Another station may broadcast in 1080i. The cable company or satellite provider merely passes this signal along.

DVD's are 480p. We won't see 720p/1080i/1080p DVD's until BlueRay and HDDVD (I think a couple have been released already?) As for 7.1 I don't think any DVD's are currently mixed with 7.1 yet. A good reciever, however, can sort of "upscale" a 5.1 or 6.1 audio feed to 7.1 by mixing the "surround" channels (again, as I understand it...anyone else, anyone, anyone, Bueller?) I'm sure that 7.1 mixes are in our near future, however, so it's always nice to be "ready" with that sweet reciever.

Hope this helps.

Bronze Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 52
Perfectly explained Mike. I might add that the Toshiba HD-DVD player is supposed to be at Dealers for retail sale tomorrow. Blu Ray player by Samsung is scheduled to be available May 23rd. Titles for both should be available in an ever increasing supply as time goes on. You can go to Amazon and pull up a list of the "On Order" discs for both formats today.

On a note of interest the Toshiba was ready to ship on March 28th but was intentionally delayed due to no titles being available until tomorrow.

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us