Component Cables Necessary??

Anonymous

I have a 52" crt. I just bought a new DVD Home Theater system. This one now has component video outs on it. (my last one was a MAJOR POS) The TV has component ins.

I am obviously going to hook it up with the component cables, but....

What is the physical difference between component and rca cables? I know what they are meant for. One being only video the other being audio and video. But can I use rca cables in place of component cables? As far as I know, the only difference is the color of the jack.

Please help. I have some awesome rca cables around the house and don't want them to go to waste.

Anonymous

I believe that the RCA cables are going to go to waste!!! There is no reason to use RCA cables, if both of the components that you are going to hook up have Component Jacks. The picture difference is dramatic. When you use the RCA jacks, the color spectrum is transmitted all together. But when you use the Component jacks, the spectrum is split into three categories. The benefit is a better looking picture overall. You should hook up all of the connections... RCA cables, S video Cable, and the component cables then switch the tv inputs while watching a DVD. You will see such a difference between all the cables. You should also not use RCA cables in place of Component Cables. RCA cables are not made for the specific video transmission that Component cables are. RCA cables are for more generic applications,(vcr, tape players, and cd players). Hope this helps.

Anonymous

For what it's worth, I borrowed component cables from my brother, then used my expensive 3 monster rca cables in place of component cables on my crt from dvd player and the picture still looked great. I could not tell the difference. (Using just the yellow rca on composite jacks did make the picture quality a whole lot worse). I would borrow some component cables and do this test. You may save your awesome rca cables!

RobW
Unregistered guest
for anonymous #2: I think he means use the RCA cables plugged into the COMPONENT jacks, as you started touching at the end of your post.

A good component cable set will have a thicker, better quality wire inside, and is likely to be shielded for better transmission of the signal.
But if it's a short run, with few other cables near it, and your picture looks good to you, SAVE ON!

Username: Kjrseattle

Alpine, UT

Post Number: 5
Component cables ahve a 75 ohm impedance standard (like antenna cables) due to the much higher frequencis carried by component video than by audio or composite video. Get the component cables.

Shiroko
Unregistered guest
I have the same question...

I have a RCA cable which reads 75 OHM on the Video one. Does this mean it can use as a low quality Component cable? Or should I use my S-Video instead?

kevin h.
Unregistered guest
i believe anonymous #2 means using 3 rca cables plugged into component jacks. i did what was said, using 3 monster rca's in place of component cables. i could not tell a difference on my sony kv32hs500. however, it is a short run and i am not a videophile so i can get away with it. if you are videophile, than use component since they are better as stated by above posts.

kevin h.
Unregistered guest
i believe anonymous #2 means using 3 rca cables plugged into component jacks. i did what was said, using 3 monster rca's in place of component cables. i could not tell a difference on my sony kv32hs500. however, it is a short run and i am not a videophile so i can get away with it. if you are videophile, than use component since they are better as stated by above posts.

Unregistered guest
Why bother even trying unshielded composite RCA cables for component video? Shielded component video cables are available at a very inexpensive price and offer the proper impedance. Furthermore , the red and white RCA plugs on a composite video cable are for sound (left & right channel) and do not have the proper impedance or shielding. Usually only the video (yellow plug) has the proper 75 ohm impedance. If you need inexpensive, quality cables, try http://www.showmecables.com

Bronze Member
Username: Jbagel2

Orem, UT USA

Post Number: 22
the thing about trying to use rca cables for you component inputs is that the audio section of you rca's will not last as long, you will begin to notice fading in the blue and red and the picture will start to develop lines, we are talking down the road, but it doesn't take to long, a month mabey the reason is that the rca's (audio side) are not designed to handle the 714 millivolts that the component cables handle. so they in escence, melt slowly, and gain impedence, which slowly gets rid of the red and the blue and you will start to see very small diagonal line move across the screen very slowly. It's just better in the long run, to get component.

Username: Trollfinger

Post Number: 1
To put this on the other foot. I purchaced some component cables that ended up being too short to reach my projector and had to buy longer ones. I now want to move my subs to a location that require longer cables and the unused component cables would be the ideal length. Does anyone know if using component cables for audio apps would be a bad idea?

Bronze Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 21
"If you need inexpensive, quality cables, try http://www.showmecables.com"

If you need the best, quality cables, try http://www.bettercables.com :-)

Username: Milcol

Post Number: 2
I am going to have a HDTV box installed by RCN,they do not supply cables and say i need to have AV/Cables and 2 rca connectors been thinking of monster cables,would like any pros and cons about quality and such due to the cost.
Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 71
"...would like any pros and cons about quality and such due to the cost..."

Well, if you don't mind some rhetoric, my personal feeling is, a lot of this wiring hype is just that. There is nothing wrong with Monster cables, but I think their size and cost are a bit excessive; dittos for their name. But, that's all part of the fun!

In all the years I've been doing this AV stuff, I can truthfully say, the only time I've ever detected a noticeable difference in 'wiring' is in the 'vinyl' days. Specifically, phono cartridge output was so small, that it made a big difference what kind of wires you ran from the turntable to your pre-amp. Other than that... bah... humbug...

Let me tell you where I'm at...

Using my stereo system as an example, I'm running a $1,000 Harman/Kardon 'amp'. Harman/Kardon isn't the best, but it's right up there with Denon and so forth - head 'n' shoulders above Pioneer, Sony, Yamaha, yada, yada, yada. And, I have Klipshorn 'corner horn' speakers - $5000+/pr. last time I checked - 'nuff said?

You know what I use for speaker cable? Zip cord! LoL! Extension cord wiring - $.07/ft at Home Depot, or whatever.

I'm not suggesting you need to go to Radio Shack and buy $3.99 AV/Cables, but if you shop the web, you'll find all sorts of nice cables for pennies on the retail dollar.

Having said that, most ppl are impatient when it comes to wiring, and they just wanna get it over with. That's what places like Circuit City, Best Buy, et al. are banking on. So, they all carry a small line of over-priced, high-profit cables - usually Monster cable or Monster cable knock-offs.

Monster cables, so called, offers great name recognition, they are an easy sell, and afford a 300% markup, so why not? You know?

If you don't mind getting 'bent over' at the checkout counter, go for it. You could do a lot worse! :-)

Dave Q
Unregistered guest
another good place is http://www.cablestogo.com/ .. check them out, good customer service and decent prices with quality cables.

i have to agree with the whole monster cable deal. you are paying for the fancy packaging, advertising, and the ability to pick them up at your local best buy. these places online have the same exact thing you're getting with monster, just it comes from a warehouse and has no pretty pictures on the box that you will throw away anyways..

just to continue on this discussion, does anyone have any comments on comparisons between component and DVI or should this be discussed on a totally different thread?

-dave

Believer
Unregistered guest
Component delivers a superior converted signal, provided you don't use crap for cables. If you find that your receiver converts digital to analog well, and your set displays analog well, then component will be great for you with most input signals including HD. That said....
DVI is all digital, thus no conversion at the receiver or the set. It's pure digital, 1's and 0's. HD viewing at it's best! DVI won't improve signals other than HD, though it will pass the analog converted signal along to the set with varied results. DVI was meant for HD. Component cables and analog conversion for anything else.

As for cables, well, everybody has their own story to tell. I've seen the Monster cut open. It's impressive! Unlike any gold and silver shielded cable I've ever seen. Let's face it...it's about moving electrons down a wire with low resistance and no other signals interfering with it. Gold and silver are best. Stranded conductor and double braided shielding is best. You get what you pay for. Name aside, just make sure your getting what you pay for.

I've recently witnessed a lightning strike first hand. It blew the siding off the house and entered the attic, traveled the electrical and phone wiring throughout the house looking for ground. It blew out all phones, a Honeywell Central Air system, two treadmills, two computers, a server, a monitor, a printer, and a cable modem. However, the projection tv, all video and audio components, and the sat box were saved by an HTX2000 Monster Surge Protector and Monster cables. I'm not with Wendys, (Monster) , but I did stay at a Holiday in Express last night.

Unregistered guest
Hey guys & gals here's some a/v cables that won't break the bank and have similar specs to M500's; http://www.cablewholesale.com/index.php
From all the posts about the superiority of component vs composite can someone tell me this;Can components be used in a composite hook up?Any advantage/disadvantage.

Paul Stevens P
Unregistered guest
I purchased a set of Component Cables (Philips $20 @ Wal-Mart) and at separate times hooked a Sony and a Panasonic DVD player to a new Toshiba 27AF44 television. I did not notice any perceptible difference between the composite connection and the component on either DVD unit as I quickly scanned from one video feed to the next, keeping both the composite and component connected to the DVD and TV at the same time. Any explanations as to why?

Art Vandelay
Unregistered guest
What is the benefit to gold plated vs. regular component? The price difference is $30. Are the gold that much better?

Stendall
Unregistered guest
Component cables help the picture on displays that have poor quality comb filters. You may not notice a difference if your set has a good quality one.
In theory, gold plated is better by making a better connection losing less signal. In practice I have used ultra cheap cables and could not tell the difference. Some videophiles claim they see better pictures with more expensive cables.

Anonymous

TO ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS, COMPONENT CABLES WILL ALWAYS BE BETTER THAN COMPOSITE. IT IS AS SIMPLE AS AN ANALOGY OF WATER THROUGH A HOSE. IF YOU CONNECT ONE HOSE TO THE SPOUT (YOUR COMPOSITE CONNECTION) AND TURN IT FULL BLAST AND TRY TO RUN THE MAX AMOUNT OF WATER POSSIBLE THE WATER COMES OUT SPURTY, UNCONTROLLED, AND DOESNT LOOK GOOD. YOU HOOK UP THREE HOSES TO THE SAME SPOUT (YOUR COMPONENT HOOK UP) THEN THE WATER HAS INDIVIDUALIZED PATHWAYS AND COMES IN THREE SEPERATE LINES BEING MORE PERSICE, BETTER CONTROLLED, AND ALL AROUND BETTER QUALITY AND CONSISTANCY. AND BETWEEN DVI AND COMPONENT, IT IS CLOSE BUT IT STILL HAS TO BE DVI AS THE WINNER. I MEAN COME ON IT IS DIGITAL. IT IS SOMEWHAT TO THE BASIS OF THE FASTEST HUMAN HANDWRITER TO A COMPUTER IN BASIC INFORMATION SENDING. WITH THE DVI YOU HAVE YOUR GOOD OLD ONES AND ZEROES THAT MOVE DATA AND SOURCE AT SUCH A FASTER AND MORE CONTROLLED RATE THAT IT IS HANDS DOWN BETTER. DONT GHET ME WRONG COMPONENT IS GREAT IT IS JUST THAT DVI I BETTER.

GLEE DIDDY
Unregistered guest
IF ANY ONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT AUDIO OR VIDEO PLEASE ASK. I AM VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE AND I FOUND THAT THROUGH QUESTIONS AND FEEDBACK I FIND THAT NOT ONLY DO I HELP PEOPLE LEARN THINGS BUT ALSO IN HE PROCESS I LEARN HOTHANDSDIDDY@HOTMAIL.COM

Username: B00gieman

Post Number: 1
I just bought a new flat screen 27inch wega and when putting up the volume when watching cable i hear a high pitch sound, its annoying, I do not have digital cable but when i play dvd's I do not hear it. I believe this started to happen after I split the cable for my cable modem and the tv. Any suggestion? Ive been told to use gold tip connections.

Bronze Member
Username: Jbagel2

Orem, UT USA

Post Number: 58
i would try a brodband/cable drop amp(signal booster) they are not super cheap but they do a wonderful job. Motorolla make a really nice one i think circuit city has one that is $49 after rebate. try it it should do a great gob and give you really nice pic quality boost. try it between your splitter and you tv if it works well try it before the spliter and see if it still works on cleaning up your tv pic and sound..... if it does it will help the cable modem as well if it is before the spliter. (p.s. if it doesn't, circuit city will take just about anything back before 30 days)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us