Bronze Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Post Number: 12
Google is your friend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC

xvxvxvx

Username: Crestapre

Post Number: 5
Scoob, nice link but a bit technical on some parts esp QAM.

It says that ATSC tunes OTA signals into the HD relm.
Does it tune (modulate) the digital signals via cable input?

When I connect Comcast direct to my HDTV cable input not the OTA input am I using ATSC or NTSC tuning? it looks like I am getting HD via this setup.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
"It says that ATSC tunes OTA signals into the HD relm.
Does it tune (modulate) the digital signals via cable input? "

No that is done by a QAM tuner.

"When I connect Comcast direct to my HDTV cable input not the OTA input am I using ATSC or NTSC tuning? it looks like I am getting HD via this setup."

If it is HD then neither, as above it would be the internal QAM tuner in your display. If not really HD then it would be the NTSC tuner but it will never be the ATSC tuner via a cable connection.

xvxvxvx

Username: Crestapre

Post Number: 6
Could the NTSC tuner produce picture that rivels HD via a cable connection on a HD channel?
I wouldn't think so.

I can't really tell the difference when switching inputs between the HDMI from STB and straight cable connection on HD channel.

The TV is a Samsung DLP HLR-5067W it mentions ATSC/NTSC tuner and Digital Cable Ready Tuner but nothing about QAM.
http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/DLPTV/HLR5067WAXXAA.asp

Comcast is installing a CC this weekend. I can't wait to see what this will do!

Scoob, Thanks for your help with this.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
"Could the NTSC tuner produce picture that rivels HD via a cable connection on a HD channel?
I wouldn't think so. "

No and not to be mean but many people on these forums can't tell the difference in the first place. :-)

"Comcast is installing a CC this weekend. I can't wait to see what this will do! "

It shouldn't do anything differently other than remvove your ability to view Tv Guide data, eliminate any pay per view and on demand movie capability but allow the viewing of any currently scrambled HD channels you are willing to pay for.

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us