50" XBR1 or 58" HP 5880N?

Username: Ramsjapan

Post Number: 1
Through a lot of research, I am down to two sets. The 50" XBR1 and the HP 5880N. The price difference is $28.11. Everyone I talk to says the Sony is the better way to go, but I think the HP has more options and better internal technology. Are the HP's a reliable set? Or, should I go with ol reliable Sony? Please help.

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 268
Well its Sony has always been a big name in TV's.Basically sells itself. As far as internals the Sony has a better setup with the sort of mix between DLP and LCD features. The HP is a nice set in a since that it has the 1080p inputs.So if ever availible your already set.1080p is still probably far off,and also most people wont even be able to tell the differnce.As far as color they havent really reviewed the contrast on the HP.The Sony is 13,330:1.Sony on the other hand 2 will have the clarity to much eeing it has the actual pixel count to prove it where the HP kind of cheats to achieve the 1920x1080 resolution using wobulation. My opick would be that Sony is a better set,but the HP will get you further dopwn the road if 1080p come around.

Post Number: 2
Thank you for the info. I thought the Sony's contrast was 10,000:1, maybe I looked at the wrong thing. I do know the HP has a contrast of 12,000:1, but I think the thing I am most concerned with is the fact that there is only 1 HDMI input on the Sony. If I have an HD signal and a HD DVD, I am going to have to leave one cable hanging. I haven't looked into a HD switch, will cross that bridge when I get there. Thanks again for the info.

Silver Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 269
Correction the Sony has 2 HDMI inputs.Both 50 and 60 XBR1 have 2 HDMI inputs. The 50XBR1 was stated by Sony to have a 10,000:1 contrast but home theater magazine actually measured it.The meter gave them 13,330:1.

Username: Johnd7

Post Number: 5
The Sony has two HDMI but I think only one of the two accepts audio over the HDMI as I recall reading.

Bronze Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 89
Sony is the top dog here. The HPs' video proccessing is not as good as the sony, HP has a problem with the color green. The sony 50XBR1 has the best picture I have seen. If your worried about the 1080P input wait for the second generation of 1080P TVs to come out, most will accept 1080P native.

Post Number: 3
I think ya'll have made up my mind. I will go with the SONY!!!

Post Number: 6
Where are you getting the Sony and how much? I got mine from Butterflyphoto.com for 3158.00 shipped with a 3 year in home Extended warranty and a 3 year bulb replacement warranty up to 3 bulbs. I did a lot a looking, and I doubt that can be beat with tax, shipping and the extended warranty plus 3 bulbs.

Silver Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 270
D Snyder,both HDMI inputs on the XBR's handle audio and video.

Post Number: 7
From the Sony site...

"HDMI Connection Input(s): 2 (Rear: 1 with Audio Inputs, 1 without Audio Inputs"

That is from the Sony site...mabye I phrased incorrectly but this is what I meant.

Silver Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 271
Yeah its for if you go DVI to HDMI.Thats why there is a set of RCA jacks next to the input.There to hook sound in since DVI nor DVI-HDMI gives you audio.

Bronze Member
Username: Ryanr

Post Number: 13
Brian Pool from TapeWorks Texas will get you the 50' XBR1 with 3 yr warranty/ bulb (2 bulbs) shipped for $3020. I just bought mine and it's spectacular!! Email brianpool@tapeworkstexas.com for more info. He's a great guy and helped me so much. He spent over 2 months answering my questions. Tell him Ryan in Roselle sent you ;-)

Bronze Member
Username: Ryanr

Post Number: 14
Sorry... email is wrong. This is the right one: tapeworksbrian@sbcglobal.net

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Unfortunately Brian told me he had to charge Ca. sales tax so there was no way he could get me the best price with the warranty. The sales tax thing may depend on where you live I guess.

Post Number: 4
I got mine from Electro discounts for 3100. It comes with the 3yr in home warranty and bulb are included. They also threw in an HDMI cable and some monster A/V surge protector. The shipping did take 7 days, but it was worth the wait.

Username: Rbgiantsfan

Hi. I am about to pull the trigger on a rear projection TV and I still don't know what to buy and could use some opinions. I am looking at the 50" Sony xbr (LcoS) and the 52" Mitsubishi 52627 (DLP)? Does one brand or technology beat the other?

Hey Ron, I just went through the same delima. I ended up getting the Sony XBR1. If I am not mistaken, I think the Mitsu 52628 is the set that is more comparable to the Sony XBR1. You might want to check out the 58" HP. I gave up the 8 extra inches and opted for the reliability. I'm not bad mouthing the HP, but they are fairly new in the television dept. In most of the reviews I've seen, the 60" Sony XBR1 was always #1 and the HP #2. Now, I bought the 50" Sony for $28.00 less than I could have got the 58" HP. Don't know if it was the right move or not, but I am very happy with the Sony. If you need the website to either, let me know. Don't order directly through their site, all stores lowered their price significantly by calling them. Hope this helps bra.

Username: Jbe

Vancouver, BC Canada

Hey Mitch I bought the HP on sale at Best buy for $2900.00 thats $1500 off its normal price. This was new in the box not a demo model and I could not be happier. I had sony stuff before and it always starts off nice but usually breaks down Sony is not the quality it use to be. Both my sony 43inch tv and VCR broke after 2yrs use. The HP is great right out of the box no fussing with colors etc. unlike my old panasonic 47 which was worse than the sony. I have my computer connected to it as well and I surf the web on this huge 58inch screen. Hp has some issues that they are resolving in a maintenance upgrade that they send you and you just plug it into the Tv's usb port and the software in the Tv is upgraded how great is that. The only issue I know of is no sound on the HDMI from a Toshiba DVD with HDMI. But the Tv has a dvi connection with a sound port so that is an easy work around until the software upgrade arrives. HP also has the best and really quick replys to any questions at their web site.

Username: Ju1cyfru1t

Just to clarify on what D Snyder wrote, and a question to current SXRD owners. When Sony says that they have 2 HDMI ports, one with audio, they are refering to the fact that one of the ports has the RCA audio IN ADDITION TO the HDMI audio (so that you can connect it to your surround sound). All HDMI supports 8 channel audio. For more info about HDMI read this article: http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/specsformats/HDMIinterfaceguide.php

SXRD owners... please correct me if I'm wrong about the RCA audio jacks with the HDMI.

Silver Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 302
Read my post above.Thats the reason for it.There is a audio output but its not the one with the HDMI.HDMI does carry multi channel audio but there is no way to go to the set and run digital out of the set from say a set top box.Also digital audio cannot be achieved by Analog audio from RCA(red and white)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us