New guy w/ questions, HDMI vs Component

Username: Brwn234

Post Number: 1
HI, I'm new to this forum but I did use it when doing research on the TV I just purchased. I have a Sony Wega HD DLP. I just purchased DirectTV with HD and absolutely love it. I hooked the DirectTV receiver up to the only HDMI input I have on my TV. I also have an Up-conversioin Samsung DVD player. Because I only have 1 HDMI input, should I hook the DVD player up with Component cables or should I look into buying an HDMI switcher? Which cable provides the best picture quality? Also when buying cables for both HDMI or Component what should I be looking for? Should I really buy the most expensive cable I can afford? Will this make a big differnce in picture quality? Any other suggestions you have regarding to cables or connections would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Silver Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 117
A Sony Wega HD DLP? Never heard of that, you probably have rear projection LCD.

I have the Sony 50A10 and I have the Directv running from the Tivo box to the TV via HDMI. I have a Denon DVD player hooked up with component cables to the TV and digital optical to my Pioneer Elite A/V Receiver. Make sure you get component cables (red, blue and green) as opposed to composite (red, yellow and white). It will make a difference. Buy decent cables, but don't waste money on Monster cables.

I also have my DVD hooked up to my receiver via analog wires to listen to high resolution music. This takes six wires from the DVD to the receiver. Could not play SACD w/o this hookup. Talk about good sound? WOW

The reason for using the HDMI from Directv to TV is because I often listen to TV w/o going through the receiver, but never listed to DVD w/o the receiver and HDMI carries both video and audio while component only carries video. I also have a digital optical audio from Directv to receiver for listening to TV through the receiver. Like for sports, music or TV movies.

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 181
Short answer. The Upconvert function will only work through the HDMI cable. If you use component you can only go 480p.The difference is appeciable especially on those larger screens. I would consider going to component from your DirecTV reciever and putting the HDMI to your DVD player and see how you like the picture quality on the DirecTV that way before investing in an HDMI switcher.

Bronze Member
Username: Croozer

Rockford, IL United States

Post Number: 38
1. You will not see a difference betweeen component and HDMI so far as video is concerned.
2. HDMI can handle audio and video whereas the component is only video.
3. For long runs (15' or longer) component cables work better.

Username: Bert59

Jacksonville , Florida USA

Post Number: 1
I have a JVC HD-ILA 56" (56G886) with a picture distortion problem. Difficult to explain, it appears as digital noise, maybe pixiling, along with color errors. On solid color back ground such as the ocean or sky there seems to be a concentric halo effect. The distortion is more pronounced during DVD ( Panasonic S-77) play back Thanx for input
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us