Mitsubishi Projection TV and Mitsubishi dvd player

Username: C1803b

Jacksonville, Florida USA

Post Number: 1
This question concerns the Mitisubishi WT-46805, (year 2000) 46" projection TV and a Misitubishi DVD DD-6000 series DVD player, (year 2000). Connection instructions (both manuals)recommend the Progressive scan (480p)connection. Although this connection clearly gives the best picture possible from the dvd player, it disables the capability to choose any of the three formats ("Standard", "Expand" or "Zoom")and shows only the Expanded version and widescreen. When I press the Format button on the remote to adjust the dvd widescreen picture with a zoom mode instead of the expanded- (Horizontal stretch) mode a text appears on the screen- "Format-480p". there must be a way to be able to adjust that picture with the aforementioned connections but I cannot remeber how! Would appreciate any advice. Thanks Charlie

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 789
From the archives of "Secrets of Home Theater High Fidelity":

Q. "I have researched the Toshiba TW40x81 and the Mitsubishi WT46805 TVs and have not come up with a strong motive to choose one over the other. I know that you guys like the Toshiba but what makes you pick that one over the Mitsubishi? For the record, the rest of my peripherals are all Pioneer. Does this have any bearing on my choice?"

A. "Our choice of the Toshiba is because it has better gray scale tracking from black to white. When we measure the gray scale tracking, we are using a DVD like Avia and looking at the window test patterns. They are measured in IRE. We measure 30 IRE up to 100 IRE. We are looking for each measurement to be 6500 ± 250 degrees K. On the Mitsubishis, we have found them to be over 7,000 degrees (> 250) in the 50-70 IRE range. The Toshibas do a much better job.

Also, the Toshibas will let you change aspect ratios on progressive sources. Mitsubishi and Pioneer lock you into FULL mode. If you try and watch a 4:3 DVD (Pan & Scan) or a non-anamorphic DVD with a progressive DVD player, the image will be stretched out."

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us