Hitachi 50VS810 Calibrating Question

Username: Wahhutch9

Post Number: 8
Hey everyone... I've had the 50VS810 since September and am just now getting around to adjusting the settings!

I have AVIA and tried to use that, but I was so confused and finally gave up.

Just wondering if everyone could post their settings they have adjusted to so I can get an idea of where I should be at with mine.

Thanks in advance!

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 262
Easiest way to adjust a TV is with a calibration disc.Settings differ from type and size of the set.Also depending on the lighting in the room is also how it will look.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 781
Hey drummer, Roy already has a calibration disc. He's having trouble using it.

Having used both AVIA and Digital Video Essentials, I've concluded that AVIA is the best for audio setup and DVE is the better video setup disc. I made major progress in setting up my Hitachi 50V500 by using the colorbar screen while calibrating through the three provided tint windows. I also got great results with the TV's "Color Management" menu. The DVE color bar screen looks like this:

Upload

Looks pretty simple here, but when you look through the color filters and follow instructions it's kind of amazing. This was the breakthrough in color adjustment for me.

Blacks still suck, but that is just the nature of the LCD beast.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 782
BTW Roy, I'd be glad to post my settings, but we're not talking about the same model and as drummer says my settings may not work that well in your room.

Post Number: 9
Thanks guys. I have the Avia, and when I went through step by step and performed the tests on the Sharpness, Color, Tint, etc. I was having a difficult time.

When I get home I will take to see what I ended up using as my settings (after using AVIA), but they just don't seem right to me. I believe my color was set somewhere up around 85... which didn't seem right to me.

I came across the settings other 50VS810 users used, and adjusted my settings to match theirs... but the color and quality doesn't look near as nice as the factory settings I had been using.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 785
Roy,
Try this........
Go into your Color Management menu and set:
Magenta......43%
Red.............46%
Yellow.........50%
Green..........56%
Cyan...........50%
Blue............50%

Then set your main color control to something between 16% and 28%.

These settings may not be the best for you. The thing is, your eyes have to be the final judge, so set your controls accordingly.

Post Number: 10
Thanks John. I will try those out tonight.

What would you suggest for sharpness, etc.?

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 790
Roy, you are very welcome. I hope my experience can add to your enjoyment--as long as you realize that my TV is not the quite the same as yours. One difference that I know of is the screen is darker on yours, presumably to help in the black and darker colors. There are maybe other differences that could affect settings. Anyway, here are my settings and welcome to them.

• Contrast............85%
• Brightness.........46% This is very much a compromise setting........51% to 46% works.
• Color.................23%
• Tint...................center
• Sharpness..........0% I have no idea why there's a sharpness control on this TV.
• Color Temp.........Standard Lately I have been using Medium to good effect. Your choice.
• Black Enhancement...Off--I think you are better off knocking the Brightness down a notch or two rather than setting BE to Low
• Contrast Mode....Normal

There it is. These settings are obviously not set in stone. Cheers
:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks John... I'll try those out... here is what I had it changed to after using Avia:

Contrast - 73
Brightness - 53
Color - 53
Tint - Center
Sharpnedd - 30
Color Temp - High
Black Enhance - Off
Contrast Mode - Normal
Color Mgmt... gain... yellow 45, green 40, blue 60
Color Decode... red 55, green 40, color 53
Noice reduction - OFF

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 794
That "53" color level seems way high to me. Ditto the "high" on color temp. I so far have left my color decode at 50/50 (the color number is the same as your color setting in the main menu).

But again, these are different models with different sets of eyes looking at them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Thanks John... I used your settings and tweaked a little bit from there.. it looked a little weird at first... but I am getting used to it.. I will wait a couple days and see if I like it or not, and then go from there. I really appreciate all of your help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us