Dying for NEW TVs!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 177
Man, I'm so BORED with the old tvs!! Tons of last years models have already started to discontinue out and new models should start appearing in the coming weeks (I hope!!!) I'm absolutely dying to see some new TVs!!! When new models start hitting Best Buy it's going to be like Christmas for me! I'm betting new toshibas will hit first, nearly their entire model line is already deleted discontinued and out of stock. Samsung will follow soon thereafter based on remaining stock. A buddy of mine is kind of interested in my Samsung and if the new one with the LED lamp system is not too big a hop in price I might actually sell mine from last year and buy one.

Anyone else geekd out for new TVs?

Username: Bambam

Post Number: 4
I'm kinda pumped about the SED and OLED based tv's, and the LED based RPTV's coming out. But take that with a grain of salt. I just bought, I beleive to be the last Panasonic 34wx15 tube tv in a box on the west coast last Saturday. But I have a plan. In the next 2-3 years the technology will hopfully be worked out and the prices will be reasonable. I will then purchase a 42-50 incher and then demote my tried true and tested 34 inch tube tv to bedroom duties.

Username: Onlookerdelay

Rock Hill, SC USA

Post Number: 10
I'm excited about the SED and OLED technologies as well, although I don't think the SED will be in the grasp of the average consumer until 2008. The LED rear projection is something I'm going to have to see to be able to put in perspective.

The early CES reports had the Akai 46" LED RP hitting the market in March at an MSRP of $1,800, yet a February Chicago Tribune report has the same set listed at $2,300. Has Akai changed their price structure that drastically in one month, or is the Tribune report in error? It also says the set is due for a May release. There hasn't been a peep out of any of the online vendors about it yet, so the May release date may be more accurate.

I was marginally interested in taking a chance on an Akai at $1,800 (or whatever that would have meant in street price), but at $2,300??? No thanks.

Right now I still have the most optimism for JVC's 2006 720p series (the XXG787). They'll feature the optical iris found in the 2005 1080p models, plus an MSRP of $1,000 less than last year. If they've improved the bulb reliability, this just may be the route I go.

Username: Bambam

Post Number: 5
If they haven't improved the reliability of your light bulb in your living room lamp after 100 years, trust me, the lamp based RPTV's are not going to get any better. That is why led based DLP and LCD RPTV's are the future. And there will be a day that anybody with a still functioning lamp based DLP or LCD RPTV will be SOL finding that all too precious $300 lamp.

Bronze Member

Rock Hill, SC USA

Post Number: 11
You make a good point bambambigalo, but maybe the bulb itself isn't where the chance for improvement of bulb life lies. JVC needs to look at what some of the other manufacturers are doing to get markedly longer bulb life, on average. Sony is a good example. Their SXRD series are the Sony version of LCoS technology, yet their bulb life receives far fewer complaints than JVC's. Perhaps there's something that could be done in reducing the wattage of these bulbs or a redesign of the ballast?

Bronze Member

Rock Hill, SC USA

Post Number: 17
Still not a peep from JVC about their 720p D-ILA's due for release in March. I haven't gotten a response from their contact e-mail address about the release either. I guess they're too busy responding to calls for replacement bulbs ;-)

Username: Msummers80

Woodbridge, VA

Post Number: 6
I'm feeling the same thing here. I started looking in November, but the technology just wasn't there. I have some money geared for a nice TV which wont be there for a good number more years (baby on the way). I want the purchase to last, and need some technology I can count on. Or at least recklessly jump into without doubts from other peoples problems I read about. It's had me considering plasma and lcd at this point as well. I don't want to buy a new bulb every 1-2 years.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us