How many HDMI connections do I need???

Username: Shaki

HOUSTON, TX USA

Post Number: 1
Folks, I am almost sold on the Panasonic 50" HD TV. The only thing that keeps me from taking the plunge is the fact that it has only one (1) HDMI connection. The way I see it, I would need one for the cablebox and the other for the DVD upconvert player. Now I know that this TV is cablecard compatible but since the cablecard does not work for two way traffic yet, I think I will use the old fashioned cablebox so that I can have access to pay per view, etc. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 765
Shaki, see
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=3&post=628177#POST628177

HOUSTON, TX USA

Post Number: 2
John, thanks for your post. You mention that the switch is $150 - $300 but at the site it sells for about $30. Also, do you know if th eresolution is effected by connections through this device. Thanks.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 766
Shaki, logic might dictate that the passive (non-powered) switchers should work, especially with short runs. Then there's the more expensive low voltage switchers. Why the difference? OK, some have remote controls, but that doesn't explain the cost-gap completely.

Then there's the issue of HDCP compatibility and how it interfaces with the incoming HDMI signal. In addition, there are complaints from people who have no problem with direct HDMI hookups, yet when a switcher (expensive or not) is introduced, have issues with performance.

Maybe someone on this forum can help more than I, but all I can say for now, the HDMI interface cable looks good on paper, but there seems to be the possibility of compatibility problems in the short term with certain current equipment.

DCT6208 Guy
Unregistered guest
Our local cable co uses a Motorolla DCT6208
set top HDTV box. Our Sony TV has only HDMI ins/componentins, but unfortunately, the cable box only has DVI and component outs.

I'm guessing a DVI to HDMI cable would be in order here? Do they make those?

If so, how would I get 5.1 digital sound from the cable box to our TV since theres no HDMI out? Optical or coax audio out into the TV or Receiver?

Thanks!

HOUSTON, TX USA

Post Number: 4
John et. al.,

Now I am wondering if I would not be better off with a decent HDTV that offered (2) HDMI connectors? I am looking at the (not plasma) Sony 60-in KDS-R60XBR1 (a huge 60" giant screen). It is supposed to be a fairly good set. I found a price tag of $3040 on mysimon.com. Does anyone have any experience with this TV - Good or bad? Please do let me know before I pull the trigger.

Thanks for your responses.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 777
Shaki,
Aside from some similar sized and much more expensive plasmas, the Sony SXRD is the TV to buy right now. It's gotten tons of great reviews. A friend just bought the 50" and I am green with envy. He lives outside of town with no cable and is picking up the HD channels here with a simple UHF loop antenna.

Do not be tempted to go smaller than 60" however. You will regret it.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 778
Guy,
"I'm guessing a DVI to HDMI cable would be in order here? Do they make those?"

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id=1023103 &p_id=2404&seq=1&format=2

"Optical or coax audio out into the TV or Receiver?"

Yes.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 779
Guy,
I should add that it makes no sense to feed digital audio to the TV. That signal should go to the AV receiver.

HOUSTON, TX USA

Post Number: 5
Hi John, just to clarify, the KDS-R60XBR1 is a SXRD. Maybe I misunderstood you. I looked for SXRD TV's on the SONY site and this same model popped up. Now I am really getting warm, fuzzy feeling about this TV. However, I read some reviews and one of the posters mentioned that within 2 years, he had replaced 3 bulbs @$150 each. Now that can get a bit expensive. I wonder if a novice like me can replace these bulbs. Otherwise that's another issue to worry about. I have some really good Sony speakers and plan on buying the Yamaha HTR-5850 to go with the TV. Then I think I will be in heaven. I wish the two-way cable card technology was already in place though.

DCT6208 Guy
Unregistered guest
Thanks.

Cable Co is now saying they're offering a new dual PVR from Motorolla(DCT6412 Phase 3) that actually has HDMI outs. Would I be able to run coax or optical to the rec. for audio AND HDMI to the TV since our 6.1 receiver has no HDMI ins? These connections are all new to me.

Or is ir better to use a DVI to the TV and optical/cox to the rec. and go with the 6208?

Thx again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us