Signal strength versus picture quality on HDTV

Unregistered guest
Hi,
I'm sure that this question demonstates my ignorance on the subject but...
I have been reading posts here about how cable splitters reduce signal strength. That makes perfect sense to me. What I'm unsure about is whether that reduced signal strength translates into a worse picture. I didn't really see that in the posts I read. I got one answer from the tech at Comcast ("yes it noticeably reduces picture quality) I spoke with, and the opposite one from a Samsung tech's e-mail ("No. It doesn't"). I'm at a loss. The only reason I added the splitter was to take advantage of my HDTV's picture in picture function. If I am going to be defeating the purpose of getting the HDTV, I will remove the splitter and do without. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Chris

Josh Bridges
Unregistered guest
On average, the cable coming into the house can be split 4 times without affecting picture quality. The Samsung tech is correct in your situation. You will not notice any difference in picture quality using a splitter for PIP.

chrislunker
Unregistered guest
Thanks Josh

chrislunker
Unregistered guest
Thanks Josh

fx
Unregistered guest
Allow me to elaborate, when splitting an HD signal you will either have a digital data transfer or you won't, nothing in between. The only time your digital signal could become degraded due to a splitter is if it is of too narrow a bandwidth to properly carry the data.

On analog channels you may have degradation such as snow for one example. Stating that a 4 way splitter is OK but a 5 way is is much too simple and depends initially on the signal strength entering your home in the first place.

xvxvxvx

One more thing for the OP of this thread, you are not going to be able to have two HD PIP's on your screen. I know of no display that will accept dual HD inputs and also allow them to be displayed PIP.

chrislunker
Unregistered guest
thanks for the info FX

While reading the instruction manual for my new tv (go figure) I realized that I didn't need a second input to get picture in picture. I get my PIP and regular picture from the same HDMI feed from the cable box.
It is still nice to know though that I can use a splitter if I want to run another television somewhere though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us