Lcos confusion

Username: Woowoowooty

Post Number: 6
After doing lots of research I thought I had decided on the JVC 52 inch lcos television. I finally found a store that had the tv in stock, and I went to look at it. I was disappointed in the picture. I am not sure if I was standing too close to it, or what, but I watched a dlp tv right next to it, and it actually looked better. I have read the reviews on the JVC, and it is supposed to have such an awesome picture, but I am having second thoughts. I know the Sony lcos televisions are unbelievable, but are out of my price range. I am so concerned because this is a MAJOR purchase for me and I want to make sure I buy the best television for the money. I want a 50 to 56 inch television for around $2000 to $2500. Any suggestions??

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 255
The JVC is not a bad set for the price since most of the kinks have been worked out since last year.Hard to gauge the actual PQ of alot of sets in the store cause things are jacked up so much.Also out of the box settings differ so much from normal settings its crazy.Manufacturers set the TV's for bright lights in retail stores and not homes. JVC D-ILA is really not that much better than Sony's standard 3 chip LCD projo. Better value cause you get the free matching stand with it.Although the Sony sets are quite sweet kinda pricey but well worth it.

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 256
Oh yeah JVC has better blacks and overall color.Where the Sony has better clarity and holds movement alot better than the JVc.Movement is prolly the biggest downfall for the JVC.JVC 52 and 56 have same resolution.Where Sony bumps the resolution to 1366x768 on there 55inch.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 390
Sound and Vision did a review of the JCV-ILA in a recent issue. I think it was January 2006. They go into quite a bit of detail regarding concerns about color rendition and other critical aspects of pcture quality. The Sony LCoS is much better actually but the realism to me doesnt equal the better plasmas. However, the Sony is crisp with great clarity and quite bright. Viewing angles are excellent. Skin tone realism and accuracy is where the set lags a bit BUT I am pretty picky too. Why dont you read up on the JVC ILA review I mentioned and see what you think?

Anonymous

marc sherman

can you explain why you would prefer plasma which only has 1366x768 compare to the sony&jvc which has 1920x1080p. trying to understand your reasoning.

Silver Member

Post Number: 391
Anon- please register and I will adress your question. I do not post info to anonymous unregistered posters.

Bronze Member
Username: Chico

Post Number: 16
marc sherman

please answer anon- question, also want to know why you came to that conclusion.

Silver Member

Post Number: 402
Chico- Each technology has its place depending on a number of factors, including ambient light, seating distance from display, and type of content ( sports/dvds etc). SO its not about what I personally prefer; its about communication of facts;

1. There is a thread now at avsforum.com that has identical images displayed on three technologies side by side; SED/Plasma/ and LCD. Its quite revealing and right in line with what I saw at CES.

2. Resolution question; about 1920 x 1080 vs a lesser number of pixels. Firstly, resolution is only one of many factors that affect pciture quality. The humna eye has limits as to what it can detect. We are much more sensistive to contrast ratio ( black levels) than to reolution as distance increases from a display. Up close, you get screen door effect sooner with an 840 x 480 display sooner than 1366 x 768 for instance; but at 10 feet there is no difference in discernible quality based on the fixed pixel numbers. Also, there are problems with 1920 x 1080 displays right now for many reasons;

1. There is no 1920 x 1080 content. Its only avaialable on hard drive loop material. SAt/Cable "hd" is not HD. Its at 1240 x 1080 per the companies limited bandwidth. And DVDs are standard def. So you get all kinds of both upscaling and downscaling before the 1920 x 1080 display displays anything.

When hi def DVDs become available, this could change, but unfortunately the current 1920 x 1080 displays do not have the correct HDMI v1.3 chipset which is going to lead to other problems.

With regards to plasma vs LCos; there are 1920 x 1080 plasmas now made by Pioneer and Panasonic; I saw the at CES; very quickly the standard plasma size will move from 42 inches to 55/58/ and 65. This will happen over the course of 2006 and into 2007. Below 50 inches, 1920 x 1080 vs 1366 x 768 plasmas = no difference in PQ; the only difference is the ability to sit closer to the set ( you get no screen door all the way down to 3 or 4 feet with 1920 x 1080).

Plasma vs LCos; I like the Sony LCos and reommend them to folks. The clarity is incredible and the color is very very good for Sony. But the sets are very bright ( If you turn down you lose shadow detail). The Plasma technology offers more realism in skin tones than the Sony LCos; this includes all three of the majpr plasma brands; Panasonic, Pioneer, and Hitachi.

The black levels obtainable by Plasma still arent reached by the alternatives, except for SED which is awesome but not yet available.

I watched a movie on a Mitsubishe 1920 x 1080 display( rear projection--fairle new) last Friday. It looked terrible. This wasnt all the sets fault by any means. But it wasnt a good scene ( the movie was interesting however).

Thats it for now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
marc sherman

Thanks for the info.
Another question, i have a sceptre 37" lcd monitor that is 1080p it is connected to my computor thru hdmi at the monitor and dvi connector at the pc end. I have the video setting at 1920x1080 w/ a 128mb ATI video-card. I have a dvd disc that is a Microsoft WMV(hi-def)movie "the living sea" it is labelled 1080p. Am I really watching 1080p?

Silver Member

Post Number: 403
The answer is actually yes. But your situation is very unusual. Most folks dont have that set up and have no idea what a WMF hidef dvd disc even is. There are few.

In fact, that particular title, the living sea, is one of the most commonly used DVD titles to demonstrate true HD video signal.

My only comment is that some LCD monitors have color accuracy issues but yours is one of the better ones. You obviously know what you are doing.

But I am guessing your dvd looks fantastic.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
marc sherman

Thanks for the info.
Actually I learned alot by reading from these types of forums, from guys like yourself.
Thanks again.

Username: Tool1818

Post Number: 1
Marc,
Can you link to the avsforum page with the SED/Plasma/LCD comparison?
Thanks,
Matt

Silver Member

Post Number: 458
I dont know the exact link offhand. It was about 2 months ago. You could use the advance search function at avsforum and plug in SED and set for titles only in the plasma/LCD forum and see which threads come up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us