Reception in non HD Channels

Sean C
Unregistered guest
Hello All - I'm new to the forum and I've been researching buying a new plasma and joining the HDTV world. My concern is how the reception will be on the channels that are not in HD.

I currently have a 6 year old Sony Wega with DirecTV DVR service. I was thinking of getting a Panny 50PX50OU and converting to the DirecTV HD DVR. Through DTV, I can get locals, ESPN, HBO, and a few others in HD but I also watch a lot of Comedy Central, A&E, Bio, Travel Channel, etc - not to mention the 6 other HBOs, 3 Encores, 2 Bravos - that will not be in HD. Will these channels actually come in worse than what I currently have? I would hate to make the financial commitment and hassle of upgrading only to be upset with 60% of my viewing. I am trying to learn about all of this but I'm still an average Joe when it comes to this stuff. Any advice would be appreciated. Marc - I'd love to hear from you. Thanks

tho
Unregistered guest
Brand name TV seems to offer much better SD picture. I have both a Panasonic (43") and a Olevia Syntax LCD (26"). The difference of quality in SD picture is quite obvious toward the Panasonic, but in HD or DVD movies, they are not noticable. The syntax actually offers more features at a much lower price.

pagol
Unregistered guest
I have a Panasonic 42PX500U. HD channels look great but the SD channels looks much worse than what I used to have. Now, pretty much I am watching 10-12 HD channels even though I have the whole package.

tho
Unregistered guest
SD broadcasts look much better in CRT for sure, particularly at close range. Rainy and Fuzzy is what we get for SD on HDTV. I only compared among HDTV, not against CRT.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us