Are there DL and RAM disc HDD Recorders out yet?

Username: Rantr13

Post Number: 4
I am waiting for the DVD Recorder home units where you can feed RAM disc contents back into the hard drive (like the Panasonic DMR E85 units do) and record the chosen hard drive contents on a DVD R-DL disc. Have such units come out yet and if not is there any word that they will be coming out any time soon?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2333
No DL recorders that I know of. Most players won't play the discs and blanks are far more expensive than single layer. Why bother with DL?

Post Number: 5
How do you know players won't play the discs?

The word is that the DVDs you buy at the store are already double layered discs. That is why they are able to hold more than a 2 hour movie.

And the prices af the discs area already dropping to about $3 per disc.

Holding twice the content that would be $1.75 twice.

And as they become more popular, they will undoutedlty drop even more.

fx
Unregistered guest
Randy, Randy, Randy, if you already think you know all the answers why post the question? Most players will play DL discs, most recprders will not play them well at all, no standalone recorders currently on the market will record a DL disc. A 4.7 GB single layer disc can hold up to 8 hours of data, it has nothing to do with the number of layers and everything to do with bit rate and compression. Considering you can purchase high quality SL blanks for 25 cents apiece why is $1.75 each such a great deal.

In the future you should simply listen to David Massey, he never offers bad advice nor incorrect information. For that matter neither do I although I don't tolerate smart aleck trolls as well as he does so I don't mind putting them in their place. Consider yourself placed!!

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 6
<randy,>

Okay, FX, you seemed very confused.
My question was:

"Have such (DL recorder) units come out yet and if not is there any word that they will be coming out any time soon?"

He answered the question then said:
"Most players won't play the discs and blanks are far more expensive than single layer. Why bother with DL?"

In which I corrected him on---as did you with your comment of "Most players will play DL discs, most recprders will not".

So,FX, it looks like you need to pay closer attention to what is being said and asked.

<in>

Your comment of, "Most players will play DL discs" contradicts his comment of, "Most players won't play the discs."

Then with those comments contradicting each other, you go on to say:

"For that matter neither do I although I don't tolerate smart aleck trolls as well as he does so I don't mind putting them in their place. Consider yourself placed!!"

I'm sorry, I did not realize someone I would be dealing with someone who thinks he's God.

I came here simply to find out information, not to be mis-judged. I offered no smart ellic remarks to him whatsoever. If you think I did, perhaps you need to copy and paste them so they an become fact rather than speculated accusations.

Lastly, all the information you offered, is not new and commonly known.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2358
Players play dual layer pressed discs, it's burned DL discs they have problems with. According to Amazon the new Sony recorder does DL discs. I've read the new Sony recorders are Samtrash, I can't confirm or deny that, it's just what I've read elsewhere.

Post Number: 7
David, someone (apparently afraid to post on this message board, thanks to FX) emailed me and told me that Pioneer launched the first home unit DVD Recorder to record in the DVD R-DL mode and read DVD-RAM discs but that he does not know whether the units were ever a success or not. (I do not seem to find them being sold anywhere on ebay.)

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11567

Gold Member

Post Number: 2359
New products are generally released in Japan a year or two before they hit the U.S. market. If they were released in May and June, they have a bad habit of not releasing stuff when they say they are going to, they probably won't be released here for a few months at least.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us