HDTV tuner qq

Bronze Member
Username: Tsl90

Edmond, OK United States

Post Number: 51
Most of this part of the forum seems to be pros-and cons of cable vs dish. I've read a lot of posts here and talked to my local cable and satellite companies but a lot of the info I get is conflicting. Hoping someone who isn't looking to make money off me gave give me some straight answers.

I live in central OK. It's either cox cable or SBC/ATT/Dish network. I have a 3yr old Mits 55511 (rear projection) HDTV with a built in tuner. As I understand things my built in tuner is a waste. I have to have a set top box regardless of whether I go with cable or get a satellite. Does that sound correct?

Also I have a new Sony XBR 26" LCD. It also has a (presumably worthless) HD tuner. It has the slot for a cable card, which I'm told will work with digital cable (I'll lose a few interactive options) without a set top box. The satellite guy told me I would still need a box for that TV. Does that sound correct?

Thanks in advance for the help. I really enjoyed putting my "home theater" together, and was looking forward to the HDTV part of my upgrade. The more I learn about this the more frustrating it is.

TL

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 728
I live in central OK. It's either cox cable or SBC/ATT/Dish network. I have a 3yr old Mits 55511 (rear projection) HDTV with a built in tuner. As I understand things my built in tuner is a waste. I have to have a set top box regardless of whether I go with cable or get a satellite. Does that sound correct?

Yes.

Also I have a new Sony XBR 26" LCD. It also has a (presumably worthless) HD tuner. It has the slot for a cable card, which I'm told will work with digital cable (I'll lose a few interactive options) without a set top box. The satellite guy told me I would still need a box for that TV. Does that sound correct?

Yes.

As I understand things my built in tuner is a waste.
Also I have a new Sony XBR 26" LCD. It also has a (presumably worthless) HD tuner.

TPL, since you live just outside Oklahoma City those HD tuners are not worthless. All the transmision towers appear to be less than 12 miles from your town. As long as your TVs are above ground level and there are no other obstructions to reception, you should be able to pick up the HD broadcasts. An ordinary VHF/UHF "rabbit ear" antenna may be all you need. Use this link. Click "choose an antenna", put in your zipcode (and address if you want more specific analysis).

You may want cable/sat for the other channels they offer, but free HD reception seems to be within your grasp. Considering the relatively cheap cost of a simple indoor antenna it is worth a try.

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

BTW, are you sure that 3yr old Mits has an ATSC (HD) tuner?

Bronze Member

Edmond, OK United States

Post Number: 52
John

Thanks a lot for the help.

I am aware I can get OTA HDTV and that is part of my plan as well. Actually what got me motivated to upgrade my cable or go satellite was when I set up the Sony it occasionally will pick up the local stations even without ANY antenna. I'm really about 5mi from the broadcast points. HD looks awesome.

I'm positive my Mits has an HD tuner. One of the reasons I sprang for that was hoping I could get by without a box someday. Seems like that is a long way off (for everything but OTA).

As I see it there's no easy way to find out if cable or satellite will give me more of what I want. If ESPN or Fox sports is showing a game what are the odds it's in HD? Seems like satellite has more HD programming, but if the game I'm watching on satellite is in HD, chances are it will be in HD on digital cable also - correct?

I am going to bundle high speed internet service so I've got to sort that part out too.

Thanks again for the input.

TL

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 731
TL,
Yes if a channel happens to be broadcasting HD on cable, it will be in HD on the satellite. More and more programming from all channels will be in hi-def. The reason I'm suggesting an old-fashioned antenna is that there's reason to believe that HD is (possibly) better that way than the compressed signal the comes in via cable/sat.

Frankly, this whole cable/sat debate assumes all the cable companies around the country are equal in cost and quality. There's bound to be some differences. Likewise the two satellite providers. Bottom line, how many know how good or bad Cox is and how does it's performance compare to the sat choices? You have to make the best decision based on what you can find out but ultimately you have to trust it's the satisfactory one.

Bronze Member

Edmond, OK United States

Post Number: 53
Sounds like it would be worth my while to talk to some locals who have Satellite and Digital Cable. I'm more into this than most people I know so that may be a bit of a challange. I'll probably try the guys at the store where I bought my receiver and speakers.

At any rate - I do appreciate the info.

Thanks again

TL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us