Which new vcr Panasonic PW 4524, 4535, or Toshiba W522CG??

Username: Ellis

Canada

Post Number: 4
Since vcr's are a dying breed and we want to get a spare one for the other tv we are looking at either of the above models that are $79 cdn which is fine for us as we like to have something we have used and have the manual as compared to a used model that we have no knowledge of.
We have surfed the net and found that the Panasonic models listed above seem to have consistent remarks regarding the Rewind and how it eventually because of its speed eventually grinds to a hault. And according to owners it has this outrageous loud grinding sound when rewinding when you start using it.
There have been many comments about the issue. Also there were comments re: tracking issues as well.
The Toshiba on the other hand has comments about the fact that the timer on the front does not show in seconds only hours and minutes when you record and until you get used to it the user wonders if it is recording. The other comment on Toshiba was that you have to click on the 2 Record buttons simultaneously when you power off to record a program that you have set to auto record, that the machine does not record automatically as the older models did.
And BTW we also did look at the Sony and came across tracking issue problems with their unit. We encountered that problem with our older model Sony which is in the family room.
I know for the $, people probably say why complain?
I guess the fact is that there is not a whole lot of vcr's out there to choose from and so that is why we want to get one now and we don't like combo vcr's and dvd players.
We have been down that road before with combo electronics and been without one while the other is getting fixed.
I'd appreciate comments. (forgot, how long would these newer models last? We understand that the heads are made of a different substance???
Thankyou.
BTW. my other post in here regarding the Mitsubishi VCR.....the head is needing replacement very soon as the quality of the "ep" is getting worse and we depended on this to record some of the Olympics, so we are back to TDK media in the "sp" mode.
Brand new heads of course are $150+.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2308
New heads are around $35 or so. Mitsubishi beats the crap out of Panasonic or Toshiba.

Username: Ellis

Canada

Post Number: 6
The service tech here in B.C told me that it would be $150 for the head and he would just take a couple of minutes to put it in.
I have already paid him $80 to clean it and fix a switch that he said was in the vcr that prevented it from recording. He told me that it was a common issue with this vcr Mitsubishi HS-U57.
Before it stopped recording (BTW it would playback) it also had a whine on rewind so we gathered there was an issue there.
The tech said that the machine was in bad need of cleaning and lubrication and then he mentioned a "belt" but never said anything about that when the unit was picked up.
The unit was cleaned last July, we never use the amateur cleaners in the stores.

Since getting the above cleaning done, the recording in EP mode is exceptionally bad and that is with TDK media. I talked to the Tech and he said the VCR needs a new head. I told him that it was fine in EP mode until it quit recording.
Would its ceasing to record damage the Head???? The Tech indicates that he wants to find a used head for the vcr and install that and save me $ since we have paid $60 last summer for cleaning and now his $60. (it seems to me that he would get more business if we get a used head put in) Also BTW when I picked up the unit he said to be careful in handling the machine as there was fresh oil in it and not to be tilting it around when packing it into the house. I always keep the vcr level as best I can when moving it anyway. How much oil is used to lubricate the unit? So much that it will run around it and spill out?
Comments? Thankyou

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2314
The only part that should be oiled is the capstan motor, which requires a drop or less.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us