Mitsubishi hs-u57C & connection to Toshiba tv 27af44??

Username: Ellis

Canada

Post Number: 2
I have a connection problem. I have a coax from the wall into the single port of a 2 cable splitter.
One coax goes to the spare tv and reception is fine.
The other coax we are trying to connect to our vcr. The coax goes into the IN on the vcr and the OUT of the vcr goes to the tv. We have the RCA cables from the OUT of the vcr to the Video 1 of the tv.
We simply want to be able to use the tv remote to access Video 1 to watch the vcr, just as we are able to watch the dvd via the tv remotes option of "progressive scan."
After these hookups and the vcr set to ch 3 we are not able to access the Menu to set up the vcr.
On the back of the vcr, is a switch for ch 3, 4, and Off/AV.
We have tried each setting on the switch and all that comes through is the channel on the vcr. Which would be like a tuner channel.
We were able to get this channel set up memorizing the channels without the RCA cables connected and only the coax connection. We can watch the vcr by using the vcr remote and using the tv/vcr button with the vcr set to ch 3 on the back switch and the tv set to channel 3, however that is not what we want to do. The neighbor was over and does amateur video and has some knowledge of connections, however we read and reread the manuals and could not get Video 1 to work.
We tried the button VCR on the vcr remote and still no change. We also tried selecting "input" on the vcr remote and get the external L1, L2 and then the channel options. The latter being the tuner and the L1 and L2 not allowing the Menu program of "memorizing the channels" because of course these are external settings.
We have unhooked the coax on the vcr to the IN on the tv and just left the RCA cables connected and still no change.
I simply want to be able to watch the vcr via the Video 1 on the Tv remote.
Can an experienced member comment.
Thankyou
PS I apologize for the post inquiring about a lost post. I did not realize in this forum that there are 2 areas that have to be entered in order to have your topic posted. I thought that the preview/post message was all that had to be selected and so this is my second run at trying to explain my dilemma.
I really hope that someone can help!!
Regards

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2301
Set the TV on video 1.

Canada

Post Number: 3
After more fiddling around with connections my neighbour and I found the Input on the remote was not working and we manually changed the setting to "L1" on the front of the VCR and now the Video 1 on the TV remote will work.
Now that we have done this I am wondering about setting programs to record will they work with the vcr left on L1 or will I have to keep going back to "channels" on the input to do OTR? and set the channel and then be able to watch another channel while it OTR's the unwatched channel?
I haven't time to check this at the moment as I have to go to work.
Perhaps a member can enlighten me about "L1" and its limitations if I want to use the RCA connectors and Video 1 on my TV remote.
I apologize if this seems to be a mundane question, however I guess these older mitsubishi
HS-U57 (C) were likely not made in the era of these tv sets with video 1, 2 etc.?????
Am I better off to stick with vcr/tv and channel 3?
I just liked the idea of using the tv remote with video 1, however now I am concerned about what I might have to change in order to record.
The better half does not like to have to make changes to record. I have to write it on a paper if i am not in.
I look forward to comments, thankyou.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2309
Line inputs/outputs are always better than RF inputs/outputs. If you are recording cable, the VCR should be on tuner, unless you are using a box connected with RCAs. The VCR doesn't have to be on line to watch through the RCA outputs, the TV does.

Canada

Post Number: 5
Thx for the reply, there is something that I have not got correct here.
I can't get the Video 1 on the tv to work unless the vcr is on L1.
When I change the input to "channels" from L1 which to me is the tuner channel, right?
Then I go to what is Video 1 and my tuner channel is on?
My connections again are as follows:

coax from wall > single in on dual splitter

one of the 2 splitters goes to the spare tv and the cable is fine

the second coax out of the splitter > "in" on the vcr and the "out" coax > "in" on the tv.

the RCA cables "out" on the vcr left, right audio and video > "Video 1" in on the TV.

On the back of the VCR is the setting for the channel 3,4,and "off/AV".

The manual says "setting up vcr using a tv with audio and video inputs.
"If you connected a TV with audio and video inputs, you will never need to use the vcr/tv button or set the VIDEO CHANNEL switch. (I am typing this the way it is in the manual BTW)
1. Turn TV on
2. Switch TV input to EXT 1 mode when viewing the signal from VCR
3. Look at the back panel of the VCR and set the VIDEO CHANNEL switch to OFF/AV
4. Turn on the VCR with Power button on remote control.
5. If you wish to view the signal from your tv swith the tv's input back.

I have tried watching the video through the input without the L1 and I get the last channel that I watched on tv when I am on "Video 1" and I try clicking on Play on the vcr and the channel continues to be on in a snowy image.
I then click on Stop on the VCR which as I mentioned is a Mitsubishi and the tv a Toshiba and the tv shuts off as well as the vcr.
I use separate remotes and they are the ones that came with the units that I purchased as new.
I have tried unhooking the coax from the VCR and get no signal on the tv.
I hope that this additional information may help in me trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.
I should say that while I was out I left the L1 setting on the VCR and it did record an hour program that I set up when I had the vcr set up on vcr/tv and set on channel 3 otherwise i could not access the menu.
Please help, thankyou.
Is my vcr too old to operate with Video 1 on the tv??
It was an expensive hi fi Mitsubishi with a lot of extras.
This is the first time set up on this TV which is a basic 27 inch Toshiba.

Canada

Post Number: 9
Spellbound by the replies!!!!

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 13
Hi, i really would appreciate it if i could get an opinion on my above connections and why i am having a problem getting the vcr to work with my TV remote on Video 1.
As mentioned it will only work, recording if I have my vcr set as Line 1. If it is on channels I have to set the vcr on channel 3 and I really only want to use the tv remote.
I would appreciate it very much if someone could tell me what could possibly be wrong with the above connections.
Thanking you in advance.
I simply wonder if the vcr is old???
However it does not make much sense that this would be an issue.
Regards

Gold Member

Post Number: 2321
I don't get how you can record anything on line 1 on the VCR without having anything connected to it. Are you sure you don't have the inputs/outputs backwards?

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 15
We are going to try new cables and put the vcr back to ch 3 and see what happens when we try to tape.
Its the only thing that the neighbour who does amateur video can think of.
All the connections have been checked and we have the OUT of the vcr to the IN of the tv.
Not much else to do and see if we can get the vcr to record and then playback in video 1 off the tv remote.
Regards
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us