No video, broken audio, slow DVR response, what does it all mean?

TimJ
Unregistered guest
CP: TWC Houston
DVR: Sony DVR-HDD250
CC: Motorola

Seem to have half the channels but missing a lot. Have already been through the ringer to get this far. What I was wondering is whether we can deduce anything from the symptoms.

The missing channels aren't really missing, they just aren't getting through properly. The screen is black, but the audio is there all broken up, like in pulses. Coupled with this the DVR is mysteriously sluggish to respond to the remote.

My guess is this: the cable signal is not clean, and the missing channels are probably all digital ones. The DVR's CPU is maxed out in a futile attempt at error correction on the digital stream, making the DVR slow to respond to other interrupts.

I am looking for an explanation like this so that I can avoid the dreary conversation with TWC Houston about how it's all Sony's fault bla bla bla

Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 675
Do you have any other TWC supplied equipment in your house? Any digital or HD STB's? There is a high likelyhood that there is something in the QAM that could be breaking up your digital pictures, but if you have a digital or HD STB in your house and you're not seeing the same problem on it as you are on your DVR, I'd recommend you at least call Sony and report the problem and see if they can escalate your report to an engineer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us