Any recommendations on 42" Plasma

Unregistered guest
Looking for some good recommendations for 42" plasma that won't break my wallet, but will also provide excellent viewing quality....maybe $1800-$2500 range. Will be used for movies / TV viewing, not gaming. Currently looking at Phillips, Samsung and Panasonic. This would me my first plasma purchase, so any imput is appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 362
Please register and I will respond to your request.

Username: Jeanpierre06

Post Number: 1
OK, I think we're good now. Thanks for the offer for info........

Username: Watchnu

Post Number: 1
blank screen, Philips 37PF9936137
is repair possible without taking out loan.
pwr on, sound good, help!
defective inverter?
bad lamp?
controller board?
any input will be helpful

Silver Member

Post Number: 363
OK--to the OP- I would recommend the Panasonic PWD8uy. This is an extended definition plasma. It displays high definition signal very well as well. It can be had for 1500 online at numerous retailers such as visualapex.com; ty authority etc. Current DVDs are 480p and its a 850x480 display so its a perfect match with minimal up or down conversion or scaling. So its essentially the best for DVDs and better than an HD for SD cable sastellite signal. It will not be as good as a HD 1366 x 768 panel for 720P HD content such as HD channels over cable or satellite ( although those signals are not true HD themselves. An ED plasma by Panasonic will actually due a better job with a 1080i signal as well IN SOME INSTANCES. This is becuase a 1366 x 768 display will sometimes throw away half of the 1080i signal and and create a 540P signal which is then upscaled to 720P. Not too good. Eventually the standard will be 1920 x 1080 for everything but that day is far away ( years for all content and hardware to be up to spec and avaialable). I prop a panasonic ED becuase they have the best internal scalers in the business.

Phillips doesnt make good plasmas as their color accuracy isnt great. They tend to look a bit washed out. Samsung actually is HEAVY into LCDs right now and will give Sharp a run for their money this year or the next. Excellent LCD technology. QA of plasma manufacturing has been behind panasonic. Nobody wants a problem with their plasma. Believe me. Panasonic Commerical plasma monitor online for 1500 bucks and no sales tax. Use the extra to buy some nice speakers or something.

Silver Member

Post Number: 364
Panasonic 42PWD8UY is the full model number.

Username: Jeanpierre06

Post Number: 2
Sherman - thanks a ton for the input. I will look into that model and do some research.

Username: Randywalters

El Segundo, California USA

Post Number: 4
If you don't need a tuner, Costco usually has the TH-42PM50U ED monitor which is virtually the same as the TH-42PD50U but without a tuner. It's priced lower than the low end of your budget.

Username: Mdw64

Post Number: 8
i'm am a proud owner of the Panasonic TH-42PD50U i got mine at best buy for 1899.00 before the superbowl an we LOVE IT !!we just have basic cable and i still can't believe how clear the picture is with just regular cable.hope this helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us