Off Air HDTV Antenna connection to HD Cable Box

Username: Ugadog98

Post Number: 1
Is it possible to connect an off air HD Antenna to a cable company provided HD Tuner? I have the Scientific Atlanta model 8000HD through Adelphia. I am receiving the HD package via the cable company, but they do not offer ABC in HD yet, even though it is available off air. My TV is HD Ready, but does not have a built in HD Tuner. My goal is to attach the off air HD antenna to the Cable company HD Box to act as the tuner so I can receive the Super Bowl in HD....!!!! Any help anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.

Post Number: 2
One other thing, I assume the best way to do this would be to just buy a set top HD Tuner and Off Air antenna combo, but I was trying to save the money on the additional tuner if I could just use the HD Cable Tuner. Thanks again!

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 665
Sanjay,
Your HD cable box will not and can not act as an off air tuner--for any channel, not just HD channels. It is just not the way it works. Your cable box only knows how to deal with the incoming cable signal, not anything it sees if an antenna is put on its main input.

I used to have the same problem: no HD ABC or Fox on my cable, and no built-in HD tuner. I found some refurbished Samsung tuners online, but the other problem is my HDTV is below ground level, so an above ground antenna installation would almost certainly necessary. Then, as if by miracle, my cable company struck a deal with the bandit who owns the local ABC and Fox affiliates (Sinclair Broadcasting). We now have HD on those channels! Not surprisingly, my cable bill just went up by almost 6 bucks a month.

Still, OTA HD reception is a good idea. It is said the picture is better over the air because there is no compression of the video signal like there is on cable....

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 666
Sanjay,
Take a look at this link. The Samsung is a second generation HD tuner with good user feedback, except for its rather slow channel changing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00064L1AI

Post Number: 3
John - Thank you VERY much for your quick reply... I will check out the Samsung tuner you linked. Best Regards!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us