Archive through January 05, 2006

Username: Bauernopower

Post Number: 1
Looks like I have joined club. April 23rd purchased hd52z585. screen got a little darker, next day soft pop. and no reception. Can anyone be specific about contact information. I travel for a living so I need to get part ordered quickly. Any word on class action?

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 342
Contact info is in your manual..

It can also be found at (gasp!) www.jvc.com

PS: If you don't have the manual.. it can be downloaded from jvc.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 343
BTW: On the class action... or getting a class action, getting JVC to honor the rated run time of the lamps.. and take care of "problems such as light engines"...

Unless you guys start posting detailed info... We early adopters of the D-ILA sets will be bearing the cost of replacement lamps, and or light engines.

FYI: For those that have an extended warranty and think they are "covered"... at some point IF the numbers are great enough that the insurance companies are losing money big time on this sets the EW warranty companies will find a way to exclude your warranty claim...

It would behoove everyone to post detailed info.. so JVC will have to honor the rated run time.. take care of "issues" such as defective light engines beyond the 1 year point... (I think eveyone would agree that the light engine should last longer than 1 year?, right? Or are you guys "ok" with "buying" a new light engine.. at what $1,500 retail?)

POST DETAILED INFO ON YOUR SET(s)...

NOTE: Without serial numbers,/ and or serial number range, etc... Without"detailed info" your info is UNVERIFIABLE and is meaningless. SEE below:

(Note not all sections may apply to you:-)

2: Serial number of your set
3: Date of mfg
4: Date of purchase
5: Note symptoms in DETAIL
6: Note hours run each day,
6a:Note estimated TOTAL amount of run time.
7: Note amount time set say on once it is powered up. (In other words your not turning OFF and back on every time a commercial comes on.)
8: Note if set in plugged into a UPS -to not only FILTER incoming power, but to PROTECT set from BROWN-OUT conditions (low voltage)
9: Please note any differences between the old, and new lamp. D-ila lamps should be a Toshiba mfg'd TS-CL110U or TS-CL110Uaa.
10: Note part numbers of replaced parts.

Posting details like the above not only will "help" JVC address the problem(s)... but it will make it ALLOT harder for them to "wiggle" out of ANY claims, and/or lawsuits that may come about if these issues are NOT fixed. It will also "help" in cases in which someone is officially beyond the 1 year warranty, and repairs are needed.. To prove that there is some kind of design flaw that would warrant a recall OR replacement of the set with a updated model.

Detailed info will go a long ways towards getting JVC, the vendors of the parts to HONOR the RATED run time of the components /parts.

Username: Gnat

JVC HD-52Z575
Manufactured on August 2004
Ser # 139876098AA
Purchased on September 2004
replacement lamp #1 TS-CL110U ser.# 10086176
Initial lamp burned out after 6 months
Runs average of 6 hours per day.
Run time since I purchased is about 2500 hours and now the SECOND lamp has burned out! The first lamp lasted about 6 months and was replaced under warranty and now 6 months later the lamp just quit. I noticed yesterday there was a significant darkening of the picture and after getting on line here I knew I was doomed. This is not right. So in 13 months and 2500 hours...TWO lamps. So I figure 1200 hours per lamp!! My only hope is I live in a small town and am a good customer of the local dealer. I guess I will find out what he can do.

Anonymous

A previous poster on this thread says that JVC will replace your lamp in or out of warranty!

Silver Member

Post Number: 344
RE: A previous poster on this thread says that JVC will replace your lamp in or out of warranty!

Anonymous,

Keep in mind what is said here is "hearsay" in a court of law.,,, It carries zero weight if say I was to call JVC and say someone else said xyz about a particular issue.

Until we get something in WRITING from JVC... such posts may or may not be honored.

In other words if I call JVC a year and two months from now, they may not be doing as you describe.

BTW: Who posted that info you are refering to? (look right above the posters name, there is a little yellow square, right click, select copy shortcut)

One last thing... on what is posted here, and the comment about what being said here is hearsay... having no legal weight.... Anyone can log on here and post info... Heck you can even post under differant user names here.. or post as "Anonymous"...

I can bet you there are "shills" here that work for various companies... Some having a vested interest in one brand over another.. posting postive, or negative.. depending on example how much stock they own in xyz company. For example someone who owned /worked for Sony, could, may bad mouth JVC for example.. Trying to drive down the competing companies sales by spreading "rumors", or just plain false, or damaging info..

That's why I've posted that people who are having problems post "detailed" info, with serial numbers, or serial number ranges at least to back up, prove, provide info to JVC and to the "world" that there may be a design flaw (or flaws) in these sets that may warrant a recall.

Light engines aren't "cheap"... and I expect a light engine to last well beyond the initial 1 year warranty. If by the number of posts here there appears that there is a problem I expect it to be taken care of even if the set is offically beyond that 1 year warranty. (ditto on the lamp)

I feel that at a rated average run time of 6,000 hours the lamp should be good for several years for most people...and the light engine should have a "lifetime, Or at least a 5 year warranty on it.

Username: Jderry78

Post Number: 6
Recieved my new lamp yesterday from Fed-Ex it said TS-CL110U on the box.

Bronze Member
Username: Likegrouch

Post Number: 16
How to know you are doomed - i.e. Bulb is dying
1. The picture looks very dim
2. The screen gets dark and you start playing with settings knowing very well that you did not change any of the settings
3. A few more hours/days later - the bulb will pop and then your blue light at the front will start blinking fast

bwu
Unregistered guest
HOLY !@#$^%
No wonder I can't find a bulb!

HD52Z575
Dec 2004
Purchased One week before Superbowl
Protected by Monster 1100

Approx 3 months after purchase, bulb blew (May-ish).
TV had run 4-5 hours per day max.
Took JVC over 2 months to get it repaired (simple bulb swap, no ballast change).
Replacement Bulb TS-CL11OU S# 11087658

Bulb blew again 1 week before Florida\Georgia game. :-(
(end of Oct)
Still down as of 12-13-05...again approaching 2 months of downtime.

Every other day I call my designated JVC repair shop for my "your bulb is coming today" pep talk. (I don't think it's their fault btw; they appear to be trying their best)
Ballast is set to be replaced with bulb this time.

My JVC TV has now been out of action entirely for over 1/3 of its warranty.

I'm seeing a big fat lawsuit in the very near future.

Username: Dleblanc

Gatineau, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2
Here are some more detail on my previous post:

1: JVC HD-61Z886
2: Serial number: 08080523
3: Date of mfg: March 2005
4: Date of purchase: Mid-July 2005
5: Note symptoms in DETAIL:
Image seemed to be getting darker for a few days until it got very dark. The next day the TV would no longer turn on (Nov 30). The bulb blew but I never heard it since I wasn't present and my roommate says he didn't hear anything. Tech showed up on Dec 1st 2005 to see what the problems was...

6: Note hours run each day: approximetaly 6 to 8 hours
6a:Note estimated TOTAL amount of run time: approximetaly 600 to 800 hours
7: Note amount time set say on once it is powered up: Once it was on, it usually stayed ON.
8: Note if set in plugged into a UPS: all my equipment (TV inlcuded) is connected to a Monster Home Theatre PowerCenter HTS 2000 MKII with Clean Power Stage 2 v.2.0
9: Please note any differences between the old, and new lamp: I wasn't here when the tech showed up and he left with the old lamp. I called them and the bulb, fan and other parts were to be replaced. They said some part are on back order. I guess I'm not the only one with the problem in my region...
10: Note part numbers of replaced parts: none done yet, details to come

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
bwu,

Start dealing with JVC directly instead of your local repair shop.

BTW, big fat lawsuit will cost you far more than replacing the unit and everyone knows it and is a huge waste of time. Contact JVC with your problem well documented (i.e. log of calls, receipts, etc.) and ask them to extend your factory warranty as a gesture of good faith. My experiences with JVC's staff in the Wayne, NJ office has been exemplary. They are responsive and reasonable (provided you're reasonable as well). Watch out...you rattle the sabre and they might just call your bluff. Remember the old addage, you draw more flies with honey than vinegar.

Unregistered guest
I would like to know if I have a potential lamp / bulb burnout in the making. I just bought the JVC HD-52G886 on 11/30/05. Everything was great, picture was vibrant. Last night while watching tv the color started to fade and now it's grey. I checked all my inputs and nothing is loose. Any ideas?

Silver Member

Post Number: 354
tvshopper

While I would agree largely that lawsuits are not the best option... If the numbers warrant it... and people are having to replace light engines and such at say the year and 1/2 mark... and are going thru multiple lamps.... Some type of suit may need to be filed.

On the COST /Time aspect of a lawsuit... If we get "lucky" and say a few LAWYERS themselves get "burned" on the JVC D-ILA's.... I would assume they would be more than "happy" to contact, "help" persons who have posted in this thread about some type of class action suit in which everyone who is affected is compensated.

I'm sure there ARE some LAWYERS that have purchased a D-ILA based set and are having "problems".

While I agree about catching more files with honey.. That does not work in all cases.

Regardless about your or I's personal feelings on how to get a mfg to stand behind their product I encourge EVERYONE to post DETAILED INFO.

The more people we have posting DETAILED info, the harder it would be for any mfg, or supplier to deny there IS some type of problem.

I expect a light engine to last well beyond the 1 year warranty... Really the light engine should have a "lifetime" or at least a 5 year warranty seeing how it has no moving parts... and the chips are made from non-organic materials that supposedly don't degrade over time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 355
bwu

You need to be dealing with JVC directy instead of the local repair shop.

I "think" there is some kind of law that states that if something cannot be repaired in 30? days that the mfg has to provide a replacement product.

I would think it would be cheaper to ship out a ballast and a lamp, and pay for a service call that replace the set itself.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Greay colors in my opinion is not a bulb problem - you probably have a connection issue and interference in your setup - if th epicture is dim and not too bright that is a sign of a bulb about to die

Brian Murphy
Unregistered guest
Thanks, owner. I'll go home and check the wires again. What concerns me is the picture has been fine for two weeks and I have not adjusted any of the settings. I'm not sure why all of a sudden this would just happen.

LLCS
Unregistered guest
Hi everyone. Thank you for creating this forum so i know I am not alone. I purchased my HD70G886 on September 29, 2005 and enjoyed very high quality viewing up to the moment the screen went blank yesterday December 14th, after an estimated 290 hours of use. My first call to the warranty service number resulted in an appointment over a week from today. During my online search to find a bulb I stumbled upon this site and followed the recommendation to call JVC direct. I am please to report that the Agent I sopke to was very helpful and promptly arranged to have a replacement Lamp Kit (TS-CL110U) sent out immediately Via Fedex. I will report later when it arrives and hopefully that is the only problem. Until then I will not cancel the pending service visit.

Regards to all,

Louis
Miami Fl.
Model:HD70G886
MFG. Datd: April 2005
First used: October 5th 2005
Failure Date: December 14th, 2005
Appox. Time used: 290hrs

bwu
Unregistered guest
all inquiring,

I did call JVC.
At one point I had JVC and BestBuy on the same call.

JVC then opened up a service call with a local TV repair shop.

I can't replace the ballast myself according to all parties I talked to.

If it was easy as replacing the bulb, I'd simply call JVC and ask for one.

Since the bulb was replaced, and subsequently lasted less than 400 hours...I'm going to try something other than just throwing more bulbs at it.

And yes, if JVC doesn't add 4 months (going on 5) to my warranty, I will be suing them.
As I stated before (was my post deleted?... I guess I forgot to hit post after previewing) I have no intention of slaying the giant.
I intend on burying the giant in paperwork and as well as making the giant go over phone logs and recordings and then giving depositions on those as well. I only have to keep a JVC lawyer cranking 6-7 billable hours (maybe less) to nullify their profit on my transaction with them.

I really thought I researched my TV purchase thoroughly. Hopefully I will be redeemed with the ballast swap.

Happy Holidays!

Silver Member

Post Number: 356
bwu

Make sure they check the fans.

Username: Gnat

I wanted to follow up on my earlier post. Give an A+ to my local JVC dealer! When I called he was unaware of a problem and said he had a new bulb there I could just come pick up ( tv is 6 weeks out of warranty ) and also had a used emergency bulb if I ever needed. Wow am I glad I paid a few extra bucks to shop locally. By the way he did say he had noticed whenever he called JVC about bulbs they never asked any questions. I will let you know any info he passes on.

Jeff Ray

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Gnat,
It is great to see your good local experience, but once the flood of failed bulbs hits - they won't be nice anymore - simple economics!
When I called JVC they were "unaware" of the problem but sent the bulb without questions - seems like a "hush hush" operation there.
Send em bulbs - keep em happy.
Lets see how JVC reacts when people come up past their warranty - how many bulbs will they send?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
I wonder if JVC uses any "Brand Monitoring" service that watches the web for bad remarks about their products/brand. If they did, this post is number one on google (you'd be blind not to see it !)
Google for JVC lamp/bulb problems and any of the following words life, blew, dead - this post is numero uno!
Proactively addressing brand issues is the hallmark of great companies, seems like JVC does not care or they think they have no brand or both !
The ostrich method of keeping your head in the sand and pretending that there is no problem is not a good strategy to protect your brand.

Happy Holidays

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
bwu,

Have fun. I've dealt with people like you in my own business before. I just tell my attorneys to go into delay mode and wait out the money flow (yours). I suspect that JVC can do the same. I suggest that you drop the vindictive, litigous attitude and work toward an amicable solution.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Why does JVC not include a small display on "Hours of lamp used" - most projectors have it. Who better to keep track of the time used bu the TV !!
That would help them and us keep track of bulb like.
My guess is is you wanna play hush hush and have anything to hide, you don;t want to disclose that information!

Username: Gmerchant11

Olathe, KS USA

Bought my JVC HD D-ILA TV appox 4 months ago... the first bulb blew at 1 month; just lost the second one today. My selling dealer has been good and gave me one off a floor model (the 2nd bulb that went) but I'm terrified of the thought of owning a TV that will eat a $200 bulb every other month or worse! It's otherwise a great TV,but I really don't want it anymore! What would you do?

Anonymous

I would stop blaming the tv!
I would allow JVC to work through this issue.
I would not have accepted a floor model.

Silver Member

Post Number: 357
Anonymous,

Are you the same Anonymous that posted right above this post?

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=540262#POST540262

PS: Unless you are a owner of a JVC D-ILA set, please don't post in this thread. (If you ARE a owner... then by all means post DETALED info... as noted in the below link.)

To Gary Merchant, (and Everyone else)... unless you want to bear the cost of future lamps, light engine replacements, etc "POST DETAILED" info.
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=538876#POST538876

On the lamp... Anonymous is right about one thing... You can't blame the TV for the second lamp that blew... since it was after all out of a display model... Then on the other hand IF the dealer that gave you the lamp out of the display model runs their sets about 8 hours a day, AND powers down the sets PROPERLY at the end of the day... the lamp out of the display model should have lasted longer than 3 months.) PROPERLY=Means turning the set off via the remote or via the switch on the set itself, the set going thru the proper cool down.) Some dealers just turn off a main breaker at the end of the day..

On the comment made by Anonymous about not blaming the tv... there seems to be a high percentage of people that have had to replace the lamp several times... There have been many posts about BAD light engines as well.

While I agree that JVC should be allowed to work thru these issues... I would like to see something in writing from JVC saying they ARE aware of these problems... and will "make it right" for us "OWNERS" of the affected sets.

If you find something to that effect, Please feel free to post again in this thread... Even if you are NOT a owner of one of the affected sets :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 358
Gary Merchant,

On that lamp from the dealer... Nice of him to front you a lamp... But what you should have done is:

A: Call JVC and report the issue... Get them to ship you a lamp...

OR

B: Call JVC and arrange a service call. Telling them that you have read posts about there may be potential problems with the ballast, that is (or may be) causing lamps to go out prematurely, and are concerned about getting the ballast replaced, along with the lamp.

What I would have done is to call JVC to report the issue.... getting the lamp from my dealer to get me back up and "running", if there was going to be a BIG time frame on getting a replacement lamp AND/OR getting the ballast and lamp replaced at the same time.

Upon getting the set repaired AND/OR getting a replacement lamp from JVC directly.. I would return the "loaner" lamp to the dealer that was nice enough to lend me a lamp during the period of down time.

It's great the dealer was nice enough to do what he did... but it screws up everything so far as JVC goes.....

By getting the lamp directly from the dealer..... How is JVC going to know there IS a problem... That you had a problem, that the set you got, made on a Friday, with parts from batch number 2630216-2004 did experience a failure of some type?

How is JVC going to address these problems without such info? To address the problem(s) they need to know what sets are affected... when they were made, Who assembled that particular set, and from what batch number the parts came from.

It might be as simple as the person who are assembling the affected sets is throwing the lamps around.... Being very rough with them....Slamming the pallet(s) to the ground every chance he gets.... Could be the dude doing so would like one of these Tv's but can't afford one... and throws the stuff around.

It could also be caused by some idiot doing the same thing somewhere in the shipment chain.... (slamming pallets around, I.E.... being too rough ) (I've seen that happen)

Bronze Member
Username: Kid89

columbus, Ohio

Post Number: 14
Back-up bulb arrived today...came from california...TS-CL11OU..S#17081405....the bulb appears to be ok, however, calif. to ohio is a long truck drive...It looks like it is a re-conditioned unit, they used small noninsulated butt-splices{soldered} at the bulb...hopefully it did'nt get bounced around too much, or freeze and thaw too many times...but, its only a back-up bulb.....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Gary,
I agree with wana69 - give JVC a call and report the bad bulb regardless - 2 minutes of your time - or gimme you information and I will do it for you in the spirit of the holidays ;-) (just kiddin). I love to talk to JVC reps in my free time !!!
Maybe we should post the reps names here - so many of us have talked to so many of them - know who to avoid and who to thank !

Username: Wes_harley02

New to this forum but it has helped me solve the HDMI output issue I have had since I bought the TV 3 mo ago. JVC blamed Time Warner and vice-versa. Turned out to be the HDCP software needed to be reset. Anyway, My bulb went out last week. JVC was quick to send me a new one. I first called the local service center but they told me to call JVC since they got an email from the factory about this issue. My buld actually popped. Used around 5 hrs/day for ~3 mo.

Username: Wes_harley02

Post Number: 3
i will post details later.

chris n
Unregistered guest
FYI
Thanks for the info on "artifacts and rainbows". More unhappy people since I last posted! I see by the last post JVC might actually be taking some responsibility. Good sign. I think I will wait to see if they resolve the lamp/balast/light engine issue before I consider buying one. Too many similar posts for 3K. Also, it seems odd that looking over the posts, there is a disparity of responses from jvc costumer service, ie; one had to wait a month, versus one less than a week for a lamp. Even though I own jvc products, I never had a need to contact them for anything, so I'm puzzled as to why such a "reputeable" company does not have a stronger service base. Perhaps they are afraid to admit to these defects as it would "open a floodgate" of consumer complaints.[ don't forget that profit margin!] I for one, would respect them for stepping up to the plate, and make me even more inclined to buy from them. The longer this post goes on, [ one would think] the more it hurts their rep. Maybe they don't care.

Silver Member

Post Number: 359
RE: disparity of responses from JVC costumer service, ie; one had to wait a month, versus one less than a week for a lamp.

Chris N,

The reason for the above is because of shortages in the parts. If say for example they projected for every 1,000 lamp OR light engine going bad... and they got a bad batch from their supplier (Or there was some unseen engineering defect) that caused higher that normal failures at say every 100th set they would not have enough replacement parts on hand.... Hence the "wait"

Keep in mind that these models ARE "new".. and they are going to be problems... This is true on any product, from any mfg. Ditto on the service that may be needed... Until something is in production for a while the service people really don't know all the in's and outs' of what may be causing a problem (If the problem is on the "weird" side.x)

PS: Keep in mind also at any time a mfg may get a bad batch of parts that may affect a large number of consumers, until they they receive reports from the field.

AND/OR happen to run across threads, or posts in which customers are reporting problems.

REMEMBER EVERYONE, unless YOU want to bear the cost of replacement lamps and /or light engines.... POST DETAILED INFO.

Silver Member

Post Number: 361
RE: REMEMBER EVERYONE, unless YOU want to bear the cost of replacement lamps and /or light engines.... POST DETAILED INFO.

Just to remind those who have a Extended Warranty, and think it's not worth the time to make a detailed post, to post detailed info. Thinking that they are "covered"...

At some point if the numbers warrant it (High failure rates = i.e. Claims) most if not all insurance companies will find a "way" to exclude your claim ... (either by a re-write of the policy, or some loop hole)

Silver Member

Post Number: 362
RE: REMEMBER EVERYONE, unless YOU want to bear the cost of replacement lamps and /or light engines.... POST DETAILED INFO.

Just to remind those who have a Extended Warranty, and think it's not worth the time to make a detailed post, to post detailed info. Thinking that they are "covered"...

At some point if the numbers warrant it (High failure rates = i.e. Claims) most if not all insurance companies will find a "way" to exclude your claim ... (either by a re-write of the policy, or some loop hole

Another thought, if say a company had a high amount of claims, they may go bankrupt... Them not being there when it is time for YOU to file your claim :-( :-( :-(

Username: Jmi070

PA

I too have the bulb issue. Bought mine Sept 30 05, not even 90 days and it went dim and then dead. I'm very careful about cycling the tv, when its on, its on for awhile. Normal usage 5 to 7 hours 7 days a week.

I called JVC and they gave me the "Manager" will call you in 48 hours to arange a new bulb. That is lousy. I called back the next day, and they said that the bulbs were back ordered and they did not have a timeframe for delivery.

Also in speaking to JVC I asked both technicians in the extended warrently they sell on their website covers the bulb and they both said yes. Anyone buy it?

model HD56G786, serial #13065xxx, bought at best buy. I have a very good surge protector.

I also had the problem with the hdmi failing to work. I think the comcast technician may have screwed it up when he put the cable card in. Anyway thanks to this forum I was able to run the diagnostic procedure and get it back.

On another note my neighbor bought a mitsubishi DLP tv, it took 3 deliverys before he got a working model.

j westdlp
Unregistered guest
I purchased an HD70G886 in May of 05. Blub blew end of August 05 after about 500 hours of use. Screen started getting dark, bulb popped two days later. I called JVC and they said they would ship a replacement bulb. (bulbs on back order) It took over a month for a replacement bulb. JVC rep said he wasn't aware of any issues with bulb life. Installed the replacement bulb in the end of Sept 05. Just this morning, I turned on the set and got power and LED flashing simultaneously. I unplugged the TV and let it sit for about 30 minutes, plugged back in and turned it on. Same issue so I removed and re-installed the bulb. (it doesn't look blown like the first one) Still have the power/LED indicator. Here's an update: Just now talking to a JVC rep. They are shipping me a new bulb today. (two day shipping) She agreed it is a bad bulb. This bulb only lasted about 350 hours. The JVC rep just told me that some of the DLP sets are having issues with bulb life (they are aware) I asked if JCV is considering extending the warrenty period on the bulbs beyond the standard one year and the answer was no.

Here's the first 6 digits of the TV ser # 080809.

I expect I'll lose another bulb in the next 300 to 600 hours of use and will then have them send me another replacement.

strider209
Unregistered guest
JVC HD-61Z575
Mfg. date summer 04 (july or august i think)
Purchased late september 2004
Unit on average of 5 hours a day.

Not sure when the bulbs blew but I am on number FOUR. 1st one went dim and next day I heard the lamp pop. The second one just went dead (no pop and I can't see any damage on the lamp) When I got my third they also came and switched out one of the boards. JVC CSR said they would give me another lamp if it blows out again though they said it wouldn't. This third one blew today and they are sending me my fourth lamp. I complained that I should get a replacement unit (TV not just the bulb) since I've only owned the TV for 15 months and I'm going on my fourth bulb. CSR said I would have to talk with the service dept. but they are closed until Tuesday because of Christmas. Anyway I still think this TV has great picture quality but I'm not willing to have a TV that blows the lamp 3 times in 1 year!

ChuckWoodaby
Unregistered guest
My bulb just went out for the fifth time since September of '04 last night. This one at least lasted 4 months and 3 weeks. I'll have more info later when I can actually get someone from JVC to help.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
These lamp issues are mind-boggling. My Z585 had the same bulb for a year and it was fine (6 - 8 hours a day average use). That TV was replaced with a G886 and that bulb is still going strong (knock on wood) after three months of HEAVY use (i.e. 8 hours a day). I wonder what is causing the rash of failures.

PA

Update: got tired of JVC giving the bulb back order speal so i bought a bulb from a local electronics parts store. They had 23 in stock. I do think the best advice with projection tv's is to keep a spare.

The new bulb was a TS-CL11OUaa.

JVC for Sale!
Unregistered guest
It's obvious that these Toshiba lamps are an inferior design. I won't purchase another projection television that uses it. Eventually, owners will be on their own and the price of these failing lamps isn't dropping. The cost will be intolerable. Would you hold your breath or bet your dollars that a fix will come any time soon?

Username: Gmerchant11

Olathe, KS USA

To assist the effort of everyone having bulb problems, here are the particulars on my HD-ILA TV: Sn#11060153AA purchased 9/15/2005 model #HD-52G886 manufactured June 2005

Annonymous suggested i "work" with JVC... after leaving two unanswered messages on their automated phone system, i finally got thru to someone (no one called back) who told me the bulbs were on backorder so could only give me an ASAP delivery timeframe.. and of course they insisted no one else has reported any unusual bulb failure problems. I also called two authorized JVC repair stations in my area and while BOTH were very kind and helpful, neither had any bulbs inasmuch as they had used up their supply, the last bulb being placed in a tv just like mine that same day... my luck! I was assured they (JVC)would ship by 2 day airfreight, but ONLY after the bulbs were available. I thought perhaps Best Buy might have bulbs, but one of their helpful blue shirt sales people said no; would have to go thru Best Buy parts... and besides, bulbs are considered "consumables" and aren't even covered by their extended warranty, contrary to what i've been told by others. Didn't matter because I didn't buy it there anyway... Went back to my local mom & pop store where I bought my JVC and they offered me full credit for my TV purchased 90 days prior; I ended up with a 50" LG plasma; it cost me about a grand more, but hey, that's only about 4 bulbs, right? That's assuming I can even GET a bulb! I'm sorry I had to pay more, but JVC's poor customer service coupled with this forum made me feel I would be ill advised not to take up my dealers offer for full credit toward another TV. I still feel the JVC HD-ILA is an awesome set and gets the best pic of all DLP type units, but whether it's bad bulbs or a bad component within the set itself, I wasn't comfortable. Letting JVC "work thru this" is not something a reasonable person would do because JVC obviously isn't working thru it; I'm afraid they're just "getting passed it"; in otherwords, getting passed the warranty period on all these sets. Throwing back-ordered bulbs at customers is not acceptable to someone who made a $2,500 purchase! I posted my specifics above to add credence to the problems my fellow JVC owners who are wrestling with this are having and I wish all the best of luck to resolve this situation.

PetersonLA
Unregistered guest
" I still feel the JVC HD-ILA is an awesome set and gets the best pic of all DLP type units"

JVC isn't DLP. The JVC D-ILA is LCOS.
DLP has better quality and reliability.
Good luck with that plasma!

Username: Serenaz1

Unfortunately, I joined the dead lamp club on Christmas night. Came home, turned on the TV and got the two flashing lights. After finding this discussion, I remembered thinking the screen looked dark a couple of days ago. This set hasn't been used much, was installed late Sept. and only used a few times a week up until 3 weeks ago. Since then, it's had maybe 6 hours a day at the most.

The unit is an HD-52G786, s/n 11081198, don't know manufacture date.

I've placed a call to a JVC repair shop, hope they can fix it quickly...ugh.

strider209
Unregistered guest
JVC customer service is bad... I've been on hold for over an hour with them. They said they shipped me a replacement bulb for Saturday delivery and I haven't received yet. Once I do get a hold of someone I am going to demand a replacement/repair.

strider209
Unregistered guest
OK I finally got a hold of someone after hours of being on hold. My lamp was shipped today, they claim my order disn't ship until now due to the holidays and they were having problems with their system. The won't replace the TV because they said the lamp is the issue and that the TV isn't defective. They did tell me that becuase of my history of bad lamps that they will continue to send me replacement lamps if the lamp has a short life.

Silver Member

Post Number: 373
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=551871#POST551871

JVC HD-61Z575
Mfg. date summer 04 (july or august i think)
Purchased late september 2004
Unit on average of 5 hours a day.

Not sure when the bulbs blew but I am on number FOUR. 1st one went dim and next day I heard the lamp pop. The second one just went dead (no pop and I can't see any damage on the lamp) When I got my third they also came and switched out one of the boards.

strider209, You need to set up a service call, (maybe with another shop) have them check the ballast, the cooling fans, etc. Something is amiss,.... Do you live in an area with c r a p p y power?

BTW: Which "board" did they replace? The ballast?

Muleskinner
Unregistered guest
JVC HD-ILA (HD-52G886) - Manuf Date June 2005

Lamp (TS-CL100U) Blew after approx. 1500-2000 hours on December 23,2005. Purchase/Delivery July 28, 2005.

Average usage 10 hours a day w/cycle on/off 2 times a day.

MonsterPower HTS3500MKII, No batery back-up. Turn set off during lighting/storms (same as with computers).

Called JVC Customer Service Saturday, December 24th. After hesitating to ship (a no cost to me) replacement lamp (still under warranty), the CS representative gave me an incident # and said they (JVC) would ship the lamp FedX 2nd day. Orginally, the service rep told me I could not get a no cost replacement under warranty without going through my retailer/repair service. JVC CS said that the repair service had to verify the broken lamp and order it for me.

I had just gotten off the phone with my retailer/customer service rep who had already told me that since I knew that it was the lamp, I needed to order from JVC direct. I told this to the JVC CS and was then told they would send me one.

Haven't seen it yet. Will keep you posted.

p.s. this is the first instance with a blown bulb.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Since JVC reps have not "heard" of this problem (surprise ! or are we all stupid ?) - how about every person who calls them send them the URL for this thread ? - Here it is guys.
I promise to make them write it down on my next call, which I am sure will be in the next month.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/176314.html

strider209
Unregistered guest
It was the ballast that was switched out. I haven't had anyone check my unit except for the time they switched the ballast. I'm not willing to pay extra just to have my unit checked. The area I'm in is fine. I have a plasma, small LCD TV, computers (one with a 24" LCD panel) and no problems except with the JVC. The rep at JVC said they found that the current manufacturer was making the glass too thin on the lamp. As I mentioned in my other post, they won't replace the TV because they said the lamp is the issue and that the TV isn't defective. They did tell me that becuase of my history of bad lamps that they will continue to send me replacement lamps if the lamp has a short life (i.e. bulb goes out after 1000 hours of use).

PA

I think the main issue with JVC support is their inability to give definitive answers or carry thru on what they say. I was told the bulbs were on back order and someone would call when it shipped, never happend. I was also told that a manager would call me and never did. The bulb just showed up, the day after I bought a replacement.

If your looking for spare bulbs find your local electronics parts wholesaler that's who your local service people buy their parts from.

Username: Loki22

Post Number: 5
Hi everyone, I also have a hd52z575 with a defective light engine, had tech out on 12/8/05, said part was ordered on 12/9/05...still waiting,set is under warranty,original post has all other onfo, such as sn# etc. My question is does anybody out there have any tips or insights in dealing with JVC,they don't seem to care about warranty work, customer service tells me that it sometimes takes 10 weeks for this part, what gives with that, almost tempted to take them to small claims court.Any contact information higher up the food chain would help also. Any tips or info in regards to this issue would be gretly appreciated
Thanks

Muleskinner
Unregistered guest
Here's a thought to remember when dealing with manufacturers.

"Quality in a product or service is not what the supplier puts in. It is what the customer gets out and is willing to pay for. A product is not quality because it is hard to make and costs a lot of money, as manufacturers typically believe. This is incompetence. Customers pay only for what is of use to them and gives them value. Nothing else constitutes quality." ~ Peter F. Drucker

I have no problem reminding them. You have to go high enough up the chain though. Words like this can fall on deaf ears at the lower end of the business chain. Many times these customer service folks are blockers and screeners.

Best Wishes

Username: Newtohdtv

MD. hd52g786
s/n 13063140
DOM 08/05
Purchase Date 09/09/05
Place of purchase: Vanns
Use of set is about 5hours a day so a total of about 530 hours.
My lamp went out on x-mas day. I think that there is a problem with the lamps. I love the picture, and hope I not one of the owners with a string of lamp issues. If this continues a lawsuit will happen.

Unregistered guest
I'm repeating a post I put on another message board for reference here. After reading this forum, it is clear that JVC has a badly engineered piece of junk. They need to be sued for their mishandling of this. Incidentally, the 800 number above just rings busy all the time. Not a surprise. My original post:

JVC Service is criminal and their TVs are garbage; a winning combination. I bought a 52" HD-ILA set (52Z585 - Bernie's version of the 575) from Bernie's on 9/20/04. It was serviced 9/25/04, 3/28/05 (we were away that fall), 5/2/05, and 8/19/05 (we were away for 5 weeks of the summer) - the last 3 times for a blown-out lamp, (4 total in 11 months) with multiple day delays before service arrived. I got them (Bernie's) to take the set back and replace it with a new unit, an HD52G886, The new unit was installed 8/22/05. The bulb dimmed on 9/30/05, and blew on 10/11/05. JVC said the bulbs were back ordered. It took until 10/15/05 to get a replacement (I asked for a manager and insisted on overnight delivery). The bulb blew again on 12/24/05. When I called JVC on Monday 12/26 (no service over the holiday), I was told their "computers were down - call back in an hour." I did; still down. Called 12/27; still down. Called 12/28; on hold 15 minutes, dropped off line. Called again. On hold 21 minutes. Told that they would send the bulb UPS 2 day, but that the "girl who handles this is not in this department - but I'll e-mail her". Asked for her e-mail. Refused. Asked for her direct number; refused to give it to me. Asked for a manager; refused to connect me. I asked when to expect the bulb; answer: "if they are back ordered, 1 to 2 weeks; otherwise, maybe by the weekend". These people have a bush league product that blows $200 lamps every 2 months, an unresponsive and dysfunctional customer service operation, rude customer service reps, and no inventory of frequently-failing parts. I am contacting the vendor where I bought the set and returning it. If there is a class action suit for fraud against these jokers, I'm in. This is fraud. They say their bulbs last a year and a half and they last 2 months, with extended waits for replacements - and they know it, and still lie about their longevity and continue to sell defective product. This post will be forwarded to our Attorney General's office and to everyone I can think of that can harm these crooks. JVC belongs out of the TV business.
My machine is on an APC UPS
Serial number 12063472AA
Amount of run time on set /lamp (or "lamps") 2 months, ~4 hrs/day.
How set is used each day. Watch TV for 2 to 6 hours or so, depending on day.

$3500 for a TV set that works for 2 months and then is out of commission for a week to 10 days. 2 different TVs, both with the same problem. Absolutely criminal.

Unregistered guest
I'm repeating a post I put on another message board for reference here. After reading this forum, it is clear that JVC has a badly engineered piece of junk. They need to be sued for their mishandling of this. Incidentally, the 800 number above just rings busy all the time. Not a surprise. My original post:

JVC Service is criminal and their TVs are garbage; a winning combination. I bought a 52" HD-ILA set (52Z585 - Bernie's version of the 575) from Bernie's on 9/20/04. It was serviced 9/25/04, 3/28/05 (we were away that fall), 5/2/05, and 8/19/05 (we were away for 5 weeks of the summer) - the last 3 times for a blown-out lamp, (4 total in 11 months) with multiple day delays before service arrived. I got them (Bernie's) to take the set back and replace it with a new unit, an HD52G886, The new unit was installed 8/22/05. The bulb dimmed on 9/30/05, and blew on 10/11/05. JVC said the bulbs were back ordered. It took until 10/15/05 to get a replacement (I asked for a manager and insisted on overnight delivery). The bulb blew again on 12/24/05. When I called JVC on Monday 12/26 (no service over the holiday), I was told their "computers were down - call back in an hour." I did; still down. Called 12/27; still down. Called 12/28; on hold 15 minutes, dropped off line. Called again. On hold 21 minutes. Told that they would send the bulb UPS 2 day, but that the "girl who handles this is not in this department - but I'll e-mail her". Asked for her e-mail. Refused. Asked for her direct number; refused to give it to me. Asked for a manager; refused to connect me. I asked when to expect the bulb; answer: "if they are back ordered, 1 to 2 weeks; otherwise, maybe by the weekend". These people have a bush league product that blows $200 lamps every 2 months, an unresponsive and dysfunctional customer service operation, rude customer service reps, and no inventory of frequently-failing parts. I am contacting the vendor where I bought the set and returning it. If there is a class action suit for fraud against these jokers, I'm in. This is fraud. They say their bulbs last a year and a half and they last 2 months, with extended waits for replacements - and they know it, and still lie about their longevity and continue to sell defective product. This post will be forwarded to our Attorney General's office and to everyone I can think of that can harm these crooks. JVC belongs out of the TV business.
My machine is on an APC UPS
Serial number 12063472AA
Amount of run time on set /lamp (or "lamps") 2 months, ~4 hrs/day.
How set is used each day. Watch TV for 2 to 6 hours or so, depending on day.

$3500 for a TV set that works for 2 months and then is out of commission for a week to 10 days. 2 different TVs, both with the same problem. Absolutely criminal.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
George,

Frankly your story makes no sense whatsoever. You bought a set on 9/20 and it was SERVICED on 9/25!? What was it serviced for? Then you blew three bulbs in what was essentially a three month period!? You get a new unit and promptly blow two lamps one to two months apart. Something is wrong (you're not shutting down properly (i.e. shutting off the power supply instead of letting the TV go thru a cooling down period), you have the air flow restricted, you have the set in a cabinet). I had a 585 for 1 year and the bulb never blew. The TV was on for an average of 6 hours a day during the year. I now have a 886 that has been running about the same average for 3 months and the bulb is fine. I think that your case shows evidence of environmental issues with your installation rather than the TV. Before you start waving the sabre, maybe you should see what YOU might be doing wrong.

P. S. $3,500!!! You got ripped off man!

Unregistered guest
I purchased the JVC HD-52G786 in October, 2005. The unit sits in a cabinet that has plenty of space around out for ventilation and the temp. in the room remains about 67 degrees. The unit was manufactured in June, 2005 with a serial number of 11081242. The typical use is about 5 hours per day max. The screen has begun to dim and is getting worse over a period of a few days. I called JVC support and was on hold for about 10 minutes. The rep. indicated that I had to have a service call...instead of just sending a bulb...and that is scheduled for 10 days from now, and they assured me that the part (bulb) would be with the service vendor. If it is the bulb than the part lasted about 450 hours versus the 6,000 hours indicated in the manual. We will see what happens next...

Anonymous

Had gone to Best Buy and saw a 56" JVC and was very impressed by the picture. Brought my wife to see it a couple of days later and the picure had become very dim. The sales staff could not brighten it.
I guess the new ones in the stores still have the bulb problems. I think I will buy a Samsung DLP

Avoid The Bad Ones!
Unregistered guest
Hello Everyone,
We are getting ready to jump into the wonderful world of High Dollar Television! My 25 inch Zenith which I bought second hand over twenty years ago for $100.00 died Christmas Eve. I have been looking for a while and have narrowed it down to two different units. The JVC HD55G466 is one. The Sony KDF-60XS955. I was leaning toward the JVC till I found this website. Your postings have scared the bajesus out of me! I tried to read all of the postings, but there were just to many of them. Can anyone offer pros or cons on one or both sets? Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 375
Avoid The Bad Ones!

1: Please keep this thread ON topic -(Meaning if you are asking about the pro's and con's of another mfg's set ask in ANOTHER thread.)

BTW: It's "ok" to bring it up here, so hopefully someone from JVC will see your concerns, and see people ARE looking towards other mfg's due to the high number of posts from owners.

2: I would suggest you take a few minutes and WRITE a letter(s) to JVC... asking them to explain HOW they intend to make good the aforementioned problems.(Especially AFTER the offical 1 year warranty period.)

In other words, tell them you are considering purchasing a JVC D-ILA based set, but after reading multiple posts (and/or threads) on "problems", shortages of parts etc, You have may be going with another vendor.

Ask them to explain in detail... WHY there are so many people reporting problems...(here and on other boards BTW).... More importantly ask them in your LETTER(s)... HOW they intend to "make good" for owners of these sets. (I would like the "warranty" extended to reflect something along the lines of 3 years on the LAMP... and LIFETIME on the light engine... Lifetime on the light engine because JVC states that the light engine uses NO organics that degrade over time. If not "lifetime", at least 5 years on the light engine...)

I would think you as a potential BUYER would be well within your rights to ask such questions... and would probally get a faster response than persons who already own a JVC.

I would address your letter(s) to multiple higher ups at JVC...

Heck I think everyone who runs accross this thread (and others like it) should contact the "higher ups" at JVC and ask them what is "up" with these sets... and more importantly how they intend to "make good" about problems that have been not only reported here, but on other boards as well.

1: Short lamp life -Some persons going thru multiple lamps, some having the ballast replaced, fans checked - AND are running the sets on UPS's to filter and protect set from voltage brownouts... and are STILL having problems.

2: Light engine problems, uneven discoloration... Colors going "out" , not displaying right.

3: HDMI port or input boards going bad, either due to faulty hardware.... or just buggy hardware, and OR software.... Buggy software /hardware requiring a service call (LOL) to reset the HDMI board.

(ON the HDMI issues... Me thinks the vendors are forced by "Hollywood" to spend MORE time on making SURE the HDCP anti-copying BS part of the HDMI port "works @110%", instead of making SURE the HDMI board, port, or whatever you want to call it "works @110%", regardless.)

Here's one link to get the contact ball going: http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/global-e.html

Contact

Toshiya Ogata, Senior Staff Manager or

Fusako Adachi, Assistant Manager

Public Relations Office

Corporate Communications Department

Victor Company of Japan, Limited (JVC)

Tel: +81-(0)3-3289-1458

Fax: +81-(0)3-3289-0376
Contacts:

General Information:
Toshiya Ogata Senior Staff Manager
Japan
Phone: 81-0-3-3289-1458
FAX: 81-0-3-3289-0376

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Company Information:
Name: Victor Company of Japan, Limited (JVC)
Address: 12, Moriya-cho 3-chome
City: Yokohama
ZIP: 221- 8528
Phone:
http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/global-e.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 376
JVC Tokyo Office
Out headquarters is in Taito-ku, Tokyo.

6F Maruko Bldg., 1-20-6 Higashiueno, Taito-ku, Tokyo 110-8605 JAPAN
(5 minutes' wolk from JR Okachimachi or Ueno station)
TEL: (81) 3-3834-2388 FAX: (81) 3-3835-0519
E-mail address: info@ngo-jvc.net
URL: http://www.ngo-jvc.net/

Silver Member

Post Number: 377
This contact info is dated 1996, but may help:

Here is contact information for the 5 regions of the JVC and the international office. Most have e-mail, although it is new for them.

JVC:East (Philadelphia) 215-232-0300
JVC:South (Houston) 313-841-4420
JVC:Midwest (Detroit) 713-756-5095
JVC:Southwest (Oakland) 510-653-8564
JVC:Northwest (Portland) 503-335-8202
JV:International (Wash, DC) 202-687-1132

Silver Member

Post Number: 378
Description of light engine problem:

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=557791#POST557791
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=560485#POST560485

Silver Member

Post Number: 381
In case anyone at JVC reads this thread... How about DROPPING the Toshiba TS-110U mfg'd lamps and going with Phillips? Most people in the know are reporting Phillips lamps far outlast other brands: https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=559697#POST559697

Username: Muleskinner

Saint Charles, Missouri USA

Perhaps you want to check out this JVC web address too.

http://www.jvcdig.com/iso_9001_registered.htm

and

http://www.jvcdig.com/index.html

and

http://www.jvcdig.com/fedback.htm

Perhaps you want to check out this JVC web addresses too.

http://www.jvcdig.com/iso_9001_registered.htm

and

http://www.jvcdig.com/index.html

and

http://www.jvcdig.com/fedback.htm

lvshell
Unregistered guest
Well, after reading the posts in this thread, I just got back from Returning my HD-55GC86 JVC TV, purchased on 10/29/2005....(mfg date july 05)
Lamp burnt last night. 2 months and one day is pretty sad life for the lamp. I was pretty bummed out, but I am glad that I found this site before I started the run around with JVC about a replacement lamp. I figured under the circumstances, it would be best to dump the sucker before I put another dime into it.

Just wanted to share my details and thank you all for taking the time to post these messages, it helped me in making the decision to return.

Now the hard part..... the replacement!!! Sounds like all the RPTV's have this bulb problem, although not as bad as JVC, but its still there. Hopefully with a little more research, I will find a decent set, or just screw it and go plasma... don't know....

thanks anyway for all the info here.

Silver Member

Post Number: 382
lvshell,

So you've returned the 55GC86 JVC TV...

Keep in mind that the issue of replacement lamps may not be "just" a JVC concern... People with other mfg's sets are reporting similar problems so it would be in your long term interest to take a few minutes to contact JVC to make them aware that they lost you as a customer because of the issues brought forth in this thread.

(I know you probally won't since you have returned the set... but you REALLY need to write JVC., not just "call" them. A letter bears MUCH more weight that a phone call... a phone call in which YOUR concerns will probally NOT be forwarded to the "higher-ups".:-)

Why?... The more people that contact them, the more pressure they (and other mfg's) will exert on the lamp mfg's.

The more people that speak UP and demand that these issues be addressed the better.... Don't think you'll be in the "Clear' with another mfg's set... Most mfg's these days are of a mindset that once the item in 2-3 years old (or even a year) they are "off the hook".... Most mfg's once the "new" models come out "forgetting" those early adopters of their products. (Heck on allot of websites, if you type in the part number /model number of an item only a few years old it brings up "No product /info found" message....)

Many are familiar with this famous quotation, and I quote it here so maybe people can wake up to the fact we ALL need to as customers to band to together (regardless of what brand we own /prefer):

In Germany they came first for the Communists and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me--and by that time no one was left to speak up.

lvshell
Unregistered guest
I totally realize the lamp issue is not just a jvc prob, but it seems that they are the worst of the bunch at the moment. I am very disappointed that JVC would put out such a product, I have always regarded them as one of the good ones in the past, but this has def. changed my mind.

I agree that we all need to get together on this one, because I still believe that the JVC PQ, and everything else about this model was well above competitors, I will be glad to write that letter and let them know how bummed I am. My hope is that it may eventually get them moving to fix the prob, so I can get my D-ILA back.... I really miss it already!

Right now, I am actually thinking of going back to a crappy old projection as a temp fix for the next couple years until these guys get a grip on this whole lamp thing. I had a 46" hitachi that just died 2 months ago, it lasted 14 years and 2 major moves, and never had a single problem. If it wasn't for the lamp prob, I would have kept the JVC, I really did love it, but I gotta weigh the pros and cons here, right now its not worth keeping. Maybe is enough of us complain, they will get a clue.... its worth a try!

I with ya on this one man!! Hang in there, someday it will get worked out.

Unregistered guest
Originally purchased 52G786 from Best Buy in August, but after 10 days the HDMI interface died (solid green screen). Best Buy replaced the unit in early September, which worked great until this morning when the picture was significantly darker. Went on-line and found this posting. The new unit was installed on 9/12/05.

Using an average of 5 hours per day, I figure the bulb can't have more than 500 hours life, or about 1/6th its anticipated life (having heard the 6000 hour figure at the time of purchase)

The unit is serial number 11060475 and was manufactured in June '05. I bought the JVC because of the fantastic picture, and my own experience with DLP computer projectors that have been around for years. I figured that if the portable projectors can stand up to long hours and rough handling that the underlying technology was sound.

Since it's new years day, I have yet to call JVC, but after reading this posting, I'm worried about the future cost of ownership.... I was glad to hear that JVC has at least replaced bulbs in the early going since they refer to it as "consumable" item in the manual.

Username: Segaboy

TX

I have an HD-52Z575 AA JVC TV and to this have not had any problems with the TV. I purchased my TV back in August '04 and to this day nothing has gone wrong cept for the fact that I can't get enough of this amazing picture quality. I'm in disbelief that there is an actual forum reporting an sort of problems with this TV. My friend told me about this site because he was looking into purchasing a JVC D-ILA TV and a salesman at BestBuy told him to go with a SONY because JVC was to much of a nightmare. I beg to differ...if anything - I did my research SONY has actually ripped off JVC's idea as far as the technology is concerned and still could not match what JVC's accomplishment. Anyway, I'm not any sort of fanboy and I hope that all of you get the assistance needed. I believe all you need to do is contact JVC's Customer Care department and talk to them as human beings not rag dolls.

Unregistered guest
Follow-Up to earlier message: I have become impatient with the thought of waiting 2 weeks for the service guy to tell me what is already evident...that the bulb is dying/dead. I called JVC today 1/1...about 10 minutes on hold. The rep. said they will send a bulb out 2 day mail..they are in stock...I asked if this is a common problem, he hedged, said they are told to give customers replacement bulbs...I asked if they have addressed this problem of 6,000 hour life versus actual of 500 hours. No real reply at this level. I also spoke with the store where this unit was purchased. The manager will call this week and we will discuss potential return. Like most, this tv is great when it is working and it seems they should be able to resolve the bulb issue.

Username: Doog

Has any one received a new bulb on the extended warranty from Best Buy? I purchased the extended warranty from BB 15 months ago and was told by BB that they would cover the bulbs but am hearing that some customers were not gettin new bulbs from BB extended warranty.

Silver Member

Post Number: 383
Doog,
You need to read your contract, and OR call the insurer directly, to see if they cover lamps.

So, you were "told" by BB that the lamps were covered? Keep in mind alot of people will "tell" you what you "want" to hear when they are selling (or trying to) sell something to you. :-)

What matters is what is in YOUR contract.... not what BB told you.... or what is said here.

Bottom line is you need to visit the insurers /BB website.... and or contact them to see what your contract covers.

Keep in mind that the fine print of contracts CAN, and DO change.... Keep in mind also that if the insurer starts seeing a bunch of claims (on say the JVC D-ILA series)... and they are losing money big time they will find a way to at some point "wiggle" out, or make getting paid for a claim a big hassle.

On why some people are getting lamps and others are not... it could be a case that early on the insurer covered lamps... and then found out they were (are) losing money big time... and on later contracts were not covering the lamp.

If I was running a EW company, seeing the amount of posts about short lamp life would make me very hesitant about covering "lamps".

BTW: What JVC D-ILA do you have?

Username: Doog

wana69, the issue is not what the contract says because it doesn't get specific with regard to individual parts, the issue is if they have honored the bulb replacement before, then they have set a precedant and have the obligation to continue honoring the existing contracts. I have the hd52z575.

WeHaunt
Unregistered guest
Have a HD-52G786 serial #110606xx that was purchased on 9/23/05. The set gets used for 1 hour in the morning and about 5 hours in the evening. Unit is plugged into a line conditioner and has never experienced any sudden shutdowns or blackouts. Tv is on the factory stand and has plenty of ventalation. Picture began to darken over the period of 4-5 days. Called JVC on 12/31/05 waited about 15 minutes to talk to a rep. Said they would send me a bulb out FedEx 2day. When asked if there were problems with bulbs blowing was told no. Well the bulb blew today, hopefully the replacement lamp will show up soon.

Anonymous

What you hate to see is the dishonesty. Over and over we see the CS reps repeat the lie to each individual, that their is no known problem. They must think we are all stupid. Plausable deniabilty is a self defeating position. With one maker it's the LCD "mother glass" failures. With another it's the poorly designed lamps they contracted to the lowest bidder. Shame on the liars. You know who you are. How do you live with yourselves? To hell with your fear of bringing liability to your employer. Companies must take responsibility or suffer the consequences of their dishonesty. They will lose market share one way or another if they don't. It's already happening.

Post Number: 4
Update on my earlier post. Talked to JVC on 12/27. they never took all the info. from my set. Finely got through to a supervisor, he told my wife that its no sweat off his back if we get our set fixed. Said it "maybe" 2weeks before we get a bulb. I guesss they're getting tried of getting customer calls.

Post Number: 4
Most corporations are so departmentalized that the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing or saying. Most likely the supervisor your wife talked to was no more than a customer service supervisor. I could easily imagine that this supervisor has developed a 'cold heart' in dealing with all these calls.

We need to get our message of customer dissatisfaction to top corporate executives who care about brand image and market share slipping away.

Anyone who tells a customer, "that its no sweat off his back" is probably fed up and looking for another job anyway, or hoping the management will notice that he/she has what it takes to get a promotion.

Silver Member

Post Number: 385
Doog, If the BB EW doesn't get specific with regard to individual parts.. being covered or not... then they may indeed have "wiggle" room to deny your claim for an item which is deemed as a "consumable".

When I contacted NEW, the company that offers EW on sets sold thru Wally-Mart, and SamsClub I asked about "lamps" being covered and told they were not. (I think the flyer that is in the stores states the same)... I would think BB would HAVE to have something in writing that specifies the terms.

(BTW: I understand your concerns... I'm with you on them setting a precedent and have the obligation to continue honoring the existing contracts :-)

If you have something in WRITING in "hand", I would think they would have to honor an existing contract (alto they may make it "hard" for you.)

If you have NOTHING in writing, only what some salesperson on the floor told you at the time of purchase... expect to get the run around, even more so.

One idea would be for you to visit BB again, acting like you are in the market for "buying" a set and ask them to show you in the terms of the EW where it says lamps are covered.... If the salesman says there covered, say great, show it to me... I need to see it in writing, get a copy before I purchase...

PS: Please if you have any further comments, Please ask about Best Buy Extended Warranties in a new thread. This thread is about REPORTING short bulb life on the JVC D-ILA series....

I just brought up the EW issue to make those that have an EW "get in" with the fight so to speak. To join with us that are expecting a reasonable amount of run time before repairs are needed.

From previous posts I've read most persons who have an EW warranty think are "above" worrying about these issues... That they are covered... when they in fact may find out 2 years from now due to the high failure rate that the terms of their policy has been "amended" to exclude "consumables".

If you've ever read any legal documents, they always leave a loophole to amend polices. Those loopholes are always in their favor.

Username: Raleigh27615

JVC's website's FAQ states the following:

What is the life expectancy of the lamp?
On average it is expected to be approx. 6,000. hours.

How do I replace the lamp?
There is an exact procedure described in the instruction manual. The Mercury Lamp itself is available from the JVC parts department. Part number: TS-CL110U

Mike Graves, Have you had to replace your lamp yet?

Username: Raleigh27615

I'm contemplating purchasing the JVC HD-56G786 but am concerned given what I read above. I don't really want to shell out $200 every 6 months or so. Also some talk about having to replace the light engine & on JVC's website the parts cost is $1700.

If I go the JVC route I'll definitely buy the extended warranty.

kfeltes
Unregistered guest
Having pre-mature lamp expiration...

Model: HD-61z886
serial #080809XX
March 2005 build
purchased from local store (non chain) in April 2005
Used 2-3 hrs per day 5 days/wk - under 1000 hrs
Problems began Dec 29 2005
Set plugged into Monster Power Center HT700 surge

TV is in basement and is only used to watch HD games, movies and very little pc/XBOX gaming. The basement is the coolest area of the house so proper cooling is not a problem. In fact, the stand it it sitting on is cool to the touch.

Calling JVC now.

-kfeltes

Unregistered guest
Third Update: My original post was on 12/30. My screen was dimming in late December and the bulb finally went completely..popped today. Ironically I recieved a call from JVC today on voice mail. A nasally sounding CSR left a message saying the bulb I had requested had been ordered. Now they did not say shipped, which gave me some concern, so I called them again to confirm. I was on hold for 20+ minutes and finally talked to a rep, who indicated that my order was placed and will ship in a day or two. I said that I was concerned going forward with this problem. He indicated that it is a known problem, that users are turning the tv on multiply...since there is a lag...and this wears on the bulb. He indicated if the problem continues I good seek replacement with them. Further, he said they just recieved a shipment of "more durable" bulbs that are going out. I will try to be a little for gentle with the unit as far as powering on and off, but I still have concerns as far as cost of ownership.

Silver Member

Post Number: 389

RE: He indicated that it is a known problem, that users are turning the tv on multiply...since there is a lag...and this wears on the bulb.

If this is the case... a firmware UPDATE would take care of it (I would think). If you think about this possible cause for premature lamp life since it iss KNOWN to the mfg of the lamp, and the mfg of the set itself that re-lighting a lamp causes decreased lamp life, BEFORE the set left the drawing board this would have been figured into the equation as most customers push the ON button and expect the TV to come ON....

(While this sounds like a good excuse and put blame on the customer I think the CS rep is full of it)... If he's not, which I think he is someone needs to be fired at JVC...

This still does NOT explain person who know of this potential issue.

On the more "durable" lamps... Please post the part number of the lamp you receive. Hopefully JVC has decided to upgrade from Toshiba to Phillips system, as posted in the below link in which a man upgraded his HLN507w lamp, ballast, and "ballast fan": https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=559697#POST559697

JVC, in case you have anyone here, You may want to look into changing the vendor of the lamp /ballast... Making a retro fit kit...

Silver Member

Post Number: 390

RE: He indicated that it is a known problem, that users are turning the tv on multiply...since there is a lag...and this wears on the bulb.

If this is the case... a firmware UPDATE would take care of it (I would think). If you think about this possible cause for premature lamp life since it iss KNOWN to the mfg of the lamp, and the mfg of the set itself that re-lighting a lamp causes decreased lamp life, BEFORE the set left the drawing board this would have been figured into the equation as most customers push the ON button and expect the TV to come ON....

(While this sounds like a good excuse and put blame on the customer I think the CS rep is full of it)... If he's not, which I think he is someone needs to be fired at JVC...

This still does NOT explain persons who know of this potential issue... and are very careful about how they power up and shut off the set reporting problems:-)

On the more "durable" lamps... Please post the part number of the lamp you receive. Hopefully JVC has decided to upgrade from Toshiba to Phillips system, as posted in the below link in which a man upgraded his HLN507w lamp, ballast, and "ballast fan": https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=559697#POST559697

JVC, in case you have anyone here, You may want to look into changing the vendor of the lamp /ballast... Making a retro fit kit...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Surprise ! People turning on/off the set multiple times - why do people do that?
Don't you know people that you just turn the TV on once when you buy it and never turn it off !!

What kind of real world testing did these guys do before they unleashed this piece of crap onto the world.

OwnerToo
Unregistered guest
Your sure are a grouch. Go buy yourself a CRT and leave this board. It clearly states in the manual that repeated on/off cycles will affect bulb life. You've been a complainer from Day 1. I bet JVC would LOVE to have you get rid of your set so they don't have to listen to your incessant belly-aching.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 972
The problem is not with JVC, but with the lamp manufacturer. Only 2 companies make the mercury lamps so the TV makers are kind of stuck with what they can get. If it keeps up it is really going to hurt the RP market.

I've heard of lamp issues with all TV makes so the problem definitely falls on the lamp makers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
OwnerToo obviously missed the sarcasm in my comment.
Being rude is not going to get you anywhere in life especially if you hide behind the veil of anonymity.
Be civil on message boards, that is my advice to you.
I started this thread - if you do not like it you do not have to visit it as often as you say you do!

Post Number: 6
OwnerToo (Unregistered Guest)

How many lamps have you replaced since purchasing your HD-RP-TV?

an update from my post on 12/28...On my 4th call to JVC the service rep. supervisor told us that JVC been in business for 50 years, and he could care less if my set get fixed. Sounds like they are real tired of dealing with this lamp issue. Another footnote, JVC asked us 3 times for the serial #. We did give it to them the first call on 12/27.

OwnerToo
Unregistered guest
QSD,

None and I've owned my set for 15 months....average use is 5 hours per day.

Owner,

You are right, I missed your sarcasm. However, you've been complaining on here for a long time so it's easy to understand why I missed it. As far as being rude to you, I was sick and tired of hearing you complain.

Best Guy
Unregistered guest
Best Buy and Circuit City Service plans do cover bulb replacement. Note the singular in that description. Most folks would be better off if they are still under manufacturer's warranty to get the replacement from the manufacturer until after the factory warranty expires. I suppose you might be able to get multiple bulbs under the BB or CC EWs but it would take a lot of yelling and screaming. It might even be possible to get them to "lemon out" the tv due to lamp life issues and replace it but it takes a real pro to pull that kind of thing off.

Jack B Mason
Unregistered guest
OwnerToo - no offense, but if you do not have a lamp issue why are you interested in a topic called - JVC Very short bulb life ?
Beats me.
Since you do not have a bulb problem, there are various other sites you can spend your time e.g. disney.com or maybe jvchasgreatbulblife.com.
Pardon my bitterness, but you will only understand the pain of people who go through multiple bulbs when you go through one.
Owner is complaining because it is a thread for complaints not one for singing JVC bulb life praise. You can start a thread for that (it is free) and lets see how many posts you get on that !

Username: Anthrax79

Model: HD-52G786
serial # 13085316
August 2005 build
purchased from BestBuy in late Sep 2005
Used 4-5 hrs per day 5 days/wk - under 1000 hrs
Problems began Dec 29 2005

Plugged into APC 350 KVA UPS

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts