Samsung 50" DLP--a good start

Username: Mumbo

Post Number: 1
Hello to all. I've been following this board for months while considering the purchase of an HD set. ("lurking" might be the preferred slang?) A general "thanks" to all who've posted here for providing the stories, advice and commentary. While I used every resource I could find to educate myself, this forum definitely stands as the MVP. But enough kiss blowing...

I finally purchased the Samsung HLR5067W after much deliberation. In every showroom I visited, the Samsung DLP's seemed to have an edge in PQ over their neighbors (a small edge, but noticeable I thought). I see evidence that the company is reasonable with customer service and I found a decent deal. In the living room, it looks fantastic. I've not found any issues with fan/engine noises yet, which seems a common complaint. After reading so many stories about issues that ALL the new HD technologies experience, I'm hoping my posts will be, "still loving it" for a good while. *crosses fingers*

I have one question. I know buying a replacement lamp asap is wise. I found a website (www.samsungparts.com)which is selling lamps for this set for $199. This seems like a hefty discount compared to other vendors. Has anyone here done business with samsungparts.com? I'm wondering how solid they are and whether the price is normal or too good to be true. I'd also be happy to hear any thumbs up or down from others who've bought xx67W sets. If any problems arise, you'll be the first folks to hear about it!

Username: Techdiff

Post Number: 2
I just purchased a Samsung 51" DLP HDTV and a YAmaha HTR 5830 reciever and speakers (5.1 surround sound). Anyways, I am having problems getting all the speakers to produce sound at the same time. I can always get my sub to work, but when my center channel speaker is working my main left speaker and right surround sound speaker does not work, when both those speakers work I can't get my center channel speaker and my right speaker and left surround sound speaker does not work. Right now (although I know it could be bad for my speakers) I have 2 speakers running into one port in the back of my receiver to get sound from all my speakers. I have read my manuals up and down and back and forth, but can't seem to pin point where the problem might be. Also, when I have the tv on regular cable channels I can hear my tv speakers, but if I put it on a HDTV channel I cannot hear any sound from the TV itsself. I have bought the higher end speaker wire and also the top component audio and video cables and have them hooked up properly (at least I think I do). If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated.

Post Number: 2
Hey, Brent. You may want to copy your post, go to the Rear Projection TV's forum where this thread is, and start a new thread with your question. You may get more help from the group that way. It's hard to troubleshoot your problem with all those variables. I'd say that having "2 speakers running into one port in the...receiver" is likely part of your problem. Why do you have it hooked up that way? If it's a 5.1 surround system, there should be ports enough to go around, right?

My only other thought is that you should be sure that the TV and the receiver are both set for the same audio mode...Dolby 5.1 surround, or whatever. Hopefully someone in the main forum can be of better help.

Post Number: 3
Ah. Nevermind...I see you already reposted the question. Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 570
Hey Mumbo,

You might check this ebay link from time to time for an 01073A. You can save $40-$50 on a new one.

Love my R5067!

Best regards!

Post Number: 5
Much appreciated, FYI. I guess all roads lead to Ebay anymore!

Got the HD DVR cable box yesterday and my happiness is now bordering on surreal. What a picture. A buddy showed me his 61" Mitsubishi LCD RP today and I secretly enjoyed realizing that the R5067 looks noticeable better from normal distances. His would be fine from...oh i dunno...25 feet or so? The screen door was very noticeable.

The one bad thing I've seen on my new set was one instance of rainbows. It was pretty bad, but only during an SD broadcast of the Simpsons. Otherwise pretty flawless so far.

Debose
Unregistered guest
I have had my R5067 for about 2 weeks now and I love it as well. My HD box just arrived yesterday as well and my wife and I almost didnt get up for work this morning for being up so late last night looking at the detail. No problems at all with lag on my ps2 or video yet. Would like to know if someone can suggest a good universal remote. I was thinking about one of the Kamelion remotes but might drop the money for a Harmony. Any suggestions.

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 169
Go Harmony. Being able to integrate the control of multiple devices within a set activity sets it apart from other universal remotes. When I hit "Watch TV" on mine it turns on the set, turns it to the proper input, turns on my cable box and turns it to my favorite channel (G4). When I change channels it's operating the cable box. When I change the volume it's operating the TV set. Without having to change between devices.

When I hit "Watch DVD" the action really starts! It switches over to HDMI, turns on my DVD player, turns on my Home Theater receiver, sets it to the right input AND turns off the lights. I hit pause, it's operating my DVD player. I change volume it's operating my Home Theater Receiver. Once you have one, set it up and see how it works you'll wonder how you ever lived without one.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 574
I just realized my lamp link didn't post.

Here tis!

http://search.ebay.com/samsung-lamp_W0QQcatrefZC3QQfromZR2

Here is the guy I got my (new in the box) spare from for $159 and I know he can get more.
Just click on Ask seller a question.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5858846988&ssPageName=MER C_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 575
That lower link isn't working. Try this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Samsung-TV-DLP-Lamp-HLP-BP96-00608A-Used_W0QQitemZ5858846988 QQcategoryZ116209QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Post Number: 7
Excellent. Thanks again, FYI.

Debose, glad to hear you're enjoying the same success so far. I tried GT4 on the PS2 in 1080i and it worked great. Other games played with no lag, but didn't look as nice. Good enough to play until the next-gen machines are available to sane ppl at least!

H.Smurf, that's the first description I've heard of how the Harmony is to use, though I've seen them touted all over the place. It sounds fantastic. I'm curious what it took to get it to dim your lights?

And one more anomoly to report...while watching the local PBS HD broadcast through the antenna, my roommate shoved some bills in a paper shredder in the next room. Every time he shredded, the signal broke up and the picture froze or stuttered. It was only that channel and only (obviously, I think) on antenna. We could stuff a few pillows with the results of our experimentation! Hehe.

Silver Member

Post Number: 170
I installed a Maestro (retail at Lowes about 40 bucks) light dimmer to the switch that controls my main overhead light. It comes with a remote control. Out of curiosity I looked on the Logitech Harmony site if there were codes for it and sure enough there were. I added the device and put it in the "Watch DVD" activity and set it to turn off the lights when the dvd starts.

Here's a link to the dimmer, like I said I found it at my local Lowes in the lighting department.

http://www.elights.com/lutmaesdim.html

As for the Harmony go here for a full explanation of how it works.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/features/harmony/US/EN,CRID=2078

I'd wager if you have a local Best Buy someone in the Home Theater dept can demo one for you. Most have them set up to operate at least one of their experience rooms. They are not cheap but they are worth every penny when you see how easy it makes to operate your system and the versatility it has.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Very cool. I'll have to suffer the remote control shuffle for a while to pace my spending, but that's definitely on my list for the future! Thanks for the info.

Anonymous

Smurf,
I have a Harmony 680 and it worked great with my old Sony 27 CRT WEGA. It would scan inouts to get to the correct one when moving between activities. With my new HLR5668, I can't get it to go to AV2 which I am using for Watch DVD. I can go back to Watch Tv after manually changing inputs for the DVD and it goes to the correct input withpout fail. I know all about setting the controller up to look for the proper input. I just can't seem to get this new input swap to work. Any help?

Silver Member

Post Number: 172
I had a similar problem with the one I set up for my Mom, she has an older Samsung HD CRT. I did some troubleshooting with it on the website and got it straightened out. It was a matter of getting the sequence of the inputs correct so that it would do the proper number of "input next" commands to get to the input I wanted After a few minutes of additional Q&A from the Logitech site it was up and running. Poke around on the activity troubleshooting and you should be able to get it straightened out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us