DVD Recording w/ DirecTV - Newbee!!

Username: Ajozefiak

Post Number: 1
Hello,
I am new to all the this dvd recording stuff and am looking for some help. Just bought a Samsung DVD Recorder and want to record a different channel while watching another, set up timer...etc....
Can someone please give me the logistical setup of everything? I have DirecTV HD receiver with a DVD recorder plus a TV (of course). I tried to do it but all I got was a snow storm on DVD.

Thanks!!!

Username: Cwc

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 2
Hi Alan.

Do you have an off air antenna? Can you receive TV signals without the DirecTV receiver?

If the answer is no, you will need 2 receivers and 2 DirecTV lines in the room. One connected to the DVD recorder and one connected to the TV. Can be kind of expensive.

I have a DirecTV HD DVR. The DVR contains 2 HD tuners. By dropping a 2nd DirecTV line into the room, the HD DVR can use both of its tuners and record one channel and you can watch another channel on the other tuner. You could then transfer a recording to the DVD recorder later.

Another option would be to drop a 2nd DirecTV line into the room and hook up an analog receiver to it, (cheap). Hook the analog receiver to the DVD recorder. The DVD recorder doesn't record HD anyway. The image this setup gets is small screen. It will have to be upconverted to widescreen or watch it in letterbox During playback.

The HD receiver produces a wide screen image. Eeven though the DVD recorder can only record 480i, It can record the image in wide screen. When this recording is played back with progressive scan, it looks like HD. This would require a 2nd HD receiver...

Hope this helps.
Chuck

Tresa
Unregistered guest
Hello... I bought a SONY VHS DVD Recorder...I hooked it up to my TV and am picking up Dish fine... what i bought this for to do was burn movies off of Dish to DVD's .... well Sony won't allow it like the RCA or Panasonic i get a error msg that says Cannot Copy copyright protected movie... so dish is sending out the movie with the signal the sony dvd recorder is picking it up and stopping recording is there any way around this problem?

Username: Cwc

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 9
Tresa,

I don't really know that much about copy protection, but get ready for it pretty soon.

There are a lot of threads on this site that discuss this. Check them out.

My summary is this:

HBO plays their movies with CP, (Copy Protection). So Sony DVD recorders will not copy them. All other movie channels do not. So you can copy from those channels...don't take my word for it...check it out...

All DVD recorders that threaten the existing DVD Movie econony will have it. The reason Sony does this on the GX315...(is that what you have?), is because the GX315 supports DL, (Dual Layering technology). This is the technology that the movie industry would never have been able to get people to buy their DVDs without.

You cannot record a 2 hour movie, (at the image speed that is required to get people to buy it) on a 4.7gb disk, (the existing DVD disk on most DVD recorders), DL lets the disk hold 9gb...enough for a 2 hr movie recorded at HQ...(high quality) image.

Does this help?...

Chuck

Username: Tresa

Post Number: 4
Hi Chuck... yes and no... i still am not sure if this digital video stablizer that i have been reading about will work or not... the sony model i bought that did not copy the movie Elf aired on encore but RCA and Panasonic allowed it to be copied onto a dvd... however the quality of these aren't as good as the sony i prefer to return this panasonic and get that sony but then unless i can figure out how to record a movie off of dish onto a dvd with it i am not getting what i want from it...i do not mess with the DL discs (yet) just use a reg old dvd the model of the sony was RDRVX511
so i have no clue what to do or how to order a stabilizer or how to hook up one and use it...
many thanks for your help...

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2356
You can get a stabilizer from MCM Electronics for $20 plus shipping. I don't know if it will work on copy once or not. It will degrade the picture slightly. If you want to override copy protection without any loss, you need a time base corrector for about $170-900.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us