Samsung and HDMI

Bronze Member
Username: Jpatey

Post Number: 14
I have a Samsung 5067W I bought an HDMI cable to connect my Scientific Atlantic 8300 cable box to the TV to free up a component input. I can only get the TV to work on the HD channels, I get a message of "mode not supported" on all other channels. I have been on the phone with SAmsung who says its a Cablevision problem and Cablevision who tells me they do not support the HDMI connection they only offer it due to requests. Does anyone have any ideas?????

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 567
Use the HDMI for a DVD player. The SA box is junk!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
My DVD player doesnt have an HMDI connection. I have that and my x-box 360 hooked up through component cables. I had the cable though it and I was switching back and forth between the dvd and x-box, I thought the HDMI cable would eliminate that problem

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 165
Get an Upconvert DVD player, they hook up through HDMI, look MUCH better than progressive scan and your cable HD won't look much different through Component cables anyway. Upconvert DVD players cost as little as 95 bucks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Yeah I just got a Sony Home Theater in a box as a gift a few months ago. I know the quality isn't much of a differrence it was just easier that swapping component cables in the back

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
I finally figured it out.When I go through the HD wizard it works on everything except 480 which does not give me a full picture on some channels. I am a little confused on why component cables would support it and not HDMI

Username: Polski

Cleve, Oh Usa

Post Number: 1
I purchased a Samsung HLP-6163W television, a Samsung SIR-TS360 HD satellite receiver, and a HD Samsung DVD player. I was excited because of the
DVI output connections on both the satellite receiver and the DVD player and the DVI and HDMI input connections on the TV. I purchased a DVI to HDMI cable made by Monster to connect the satellite receiver to the TV, however, I only get a picture and no sound. Analog connections also provide no sound when using the HDMI connection. I called Samsung tech support for assistance and they told me that the HDMI would not work with the satellite and that is the way it was designed. Why would a company manufacture products that don't work with each other? I'm taking the piece of junk back!"

i experienced the same problem with my connection. i have a directv h20 receiver with hdmi out and samsung hln4365w dlp tv w/ dvi in. plug it in and theres no sound. your saying this incapatability was done by design?
also, my resolution will not go above 480i regardless of how i set the tv or my satelite receiver. any thoughts

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
I had to make adjustments in my cable boxes menus in order for the sound and picture to come through. I had to change both the HDMI, not sure if it is the same with the sattelite. I have cablevision coming to my house this weekend so I will see what they say. They have told me they do not support HDMI so I quess we will see how helpful the tech wants to be

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 168
Your DVI to HDMI cable will not carry audio. It's not the TV's fault it's your (and possibly the tech's) understanding of the technology. DVI came forst and carried only video. HDMI came soon there after and carries video AND audio and is backward compatible to DVI but ONLY for video. If there is a DVI cable on either end you have basically a DVI connection. Only HDMI to HDMI will carry both audio and video. Are you hooking the audio cables to the PC AUDIO in on the back of the set as instructed by the manual?

As for making products that don't work together, at the time the set was produced DVI was the best connection available. There is no way for any company to predict and pre design for future innovations that might come two or three years down the road. I can't tell you how many people still have problems connectiong their old televisions to today's common devices like DVD players due to their set's only having coax inputs on them. It's a lot. At the time the coax in "cable ready" tv was the Bees' Knees, now you need a UF converter to input new devices to them.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 571
You have a bit to learn about HD television basics. First of all DVI was never designed to carry audio signals. Obviously, a DVI to HDMI connection will not carry audio. While HDMI will carry audio it is certainly not the preferred method. Anyone with a set like yours has a 5.1 Dolby surround sound home theater. They are using the optical out from the TS360 straight to the SS receiver. If you are using the set's internal tuner for off-air you would have another optical out from the set to the receiver. Most just use the off-air tuner in the TS360 to keep it all on one input, though.

The display resolution of your set is always 720P, but not always HD, no matter what the input signal is. That's how it was made. The 480i SD signal isn't an HD quality format, but is nonetheless scaled to 720P by the set to be displayed with less than HD quality. The set will tell you if it's receiving an HD format or a Standard Def (SD-480i) format. The high quality pictures will come from broadcasts that are true HD (720P or 1080i) signal formats. Do you have a UHF antenna hooked to your TS360 to receive digital ED/HD local networks? They may be available in your area. Put your zip code only into this website to see available digital networks, their distance, and compass direction from you. www.antennaweb.org You get ED (enhanced def) all the time (black bars on the sides, though) and HD (fills the screen naturally) at night on many primetime shows.
Did you subscribe to DTV's HD package. My favorite channels are Discovery HD and HDNet.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
I am new to this so please bare with me. I guess I am a little confused as to why my monster component cables could handle all the signals put out by my cable box but my monster HDMI cable cannot. I thought it was a better output. I am really only using it for the convienience of not having to switch back and forth between the game system and my surround sound system.

freak
Unregistered guest
Digital TV station broadcast a SD and a HD signal, not an ED signal. Before you try to receive digital broadcast signals with an antenna, make sure what channels those TV stations are on. You may need a VHF/UHF combination antenna because not all digital stations are UHF.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 576
freak,

You are partly correct.

Dallas does have a single digital station on VHF, but my UHF antenna picks it up fine from 33 miles away.

Digital stations transmit both SD analog and ED/HD digital signals. The digital signal is mostly ED (480P) and 4:3 format during the day and only HD and 16:9 widescreen if a specific program is true 720P or 1080i. Only true HD fills the widescreen naturally during some primetime shows at night and some sporting events and special content programs.

"Enhanced Definition "
Glossary

Definition: A form of digital television operating with a resolution of 480p, and either a standard or widescreen aspect ratio. EDTV is measured as being between SDTV and HDTV in terms of picture quality on the digital scale.

http://www.the-hdtv-tuner.com/edtv-vs-hdtv.html

Username: Mumbo

Post Number: 6
I also want to hear the answer to John's question. Why will the HDMI cable fail him where the component will not? Do HDMI cables not deliver SD signals--only ED/HD? Or is the problem that "The SA box is junk!" and just has bad HDMI implementation? I have the same R5067, the same SA 8300 HD DVR box, and am receiving an HDMI cable today which I planned to use with the DVR for the exact same reason as John. It'd be nice if an HDMI-ready DVD player doesn't have to be purchased just to keep cable TV on component...can I get an amen, John? :-)

I'll give it a try tonight and report my results if I don't hear a definitive answer. If I learn before then that it's doomed for failure, I'll go buy a DVD player in defeat.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 577
There is nothing about an HDMI connection that would restrict any signal format. The cable converter or it's HDMI port is junk!

HDMI is new, not necessarily better than component. People think that because it's all digital it's better, but there are many quirks and bugs with the video and audio aspects of equipment matching. Cable converters are the worst offender.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Good Luck, let me know what you come up with. Maybe I missed something.

Post Number: 8
Well, I'll have a go at it, John. FYI kinda confirmed what I feared, though. If this set had 3 component inputs I'd already be done with setup. Something's going to have to use the HDMI. Cable if possible, but if my box does like yours, then I guess we go upconverting DVD player shopping. If the playback detail is noticeably better, then maybe Scientific Atlantic is doing us a backhanded favor. Ha!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Yeah, all I wanted was a nice TV. Then I got into the surround sound and X-box. I laughed at my friend that paid and extra 200 bucks for the same surround system with an HDMI upconvert. I never thought the cable box would be such a problem. Maybe my only hope is one day the X-box comes out with an HDMI connection

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 578
There is an adapter on the market that converts component (Y, Pr, Pb) to a computer VGA male. I here that other gamers prefer this connection to their Sammys. They say the scan sizing and refresh rates are perfect. No reports of lag using the VGA connection either. That would free up a component connection for you

freak
Unregistered guest
Dallas has a channel 9 which is a high enough V for some UHF antennas but if you have a channel 2,3 or 4, good luck. 480p is just one of the standards for digital TV but is not broadcast by TV stations. It was at one time buy some FOX stations and calling it HD but the FCC came down on them. Stations broadcast in 1080i or 720p. The SD 480i is upconverted to 1080i or 720p for the main channel. If another channel is broadcast, due to bit-rate limitations, it will be SD 480i. ED 480p is something DVD players will spit out if they have the converter. HDTVs upconvert everything to their native resolution, most of them being 720p or so. Some new TVs will do 1080i. There are EDTV's that convert everything to 480p also.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Hey FYI, do you remember where you saw that converter?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 580
John,

There may be several more options. I Googled this:

http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/xbox/provga.htm

http://www.xbreporter.com/xbox_vga_adapter.php

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Update: My results were identical. In the Scientific Atlantic dictionary, HDMI may be defined as "Having Doesn't Mean Implementing". Heh.

Thanks for the links, FYI.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Yeah I am not sure what to do now. Although I really only notice it on the discovery channel which appears in wide screen.

Pissed_Consumer
Unregistered guest
Scientific Atlantic cable boxes blow. I got a 61" Samsung Dlp and I just now found out that my TV and my HDMI cable port don't jive. It sure would be nice if "SA" would get it together and get their boxes compatible with all systems.
Let me know what you guys think.
-D

Dean44
Unregistered guest
Hi All,

I was having the same problem as someone above. Basically, I had a small 20" LCD TV when I got the HD box and I recently replaced it with a larger plasma. As soon as I changed the cable to an HDMI cable, I lost all SD channels. The cable box kept telling me that there was no signal. To fix this I went through the HDTV setup wizard again and changed the settings to reflect the new TV/Cable. Once this was complete, the Samsung TV was once again able to receive SD channels.

BTW, I picked up a nice HDMI cable from Infinite Cables http://www.infinitecables.com/ It was only $25 and it was delivered the next day.

Hope this helps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
I am goign to take one last stab at this. WOuld I lose a lot of quality if I ran my DVD player on something other that one of the component inputs?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us