Will i experience signal degradation with these connections?

Username: Erich_s

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 2
Here's the deal. I am getting a HDTV (27") to use in my office as an HDTV/Monitor. The coaxial that runs into my office is split 2 times, one goes to the cable modem, the other to the PVR card in my computer. When i get this HDTV, I would then want to split it again and run the 3rd split to the HD box I would put up here.

I took a picture of the splitter Comcast installed outside. it has been split 3 times outside (once to my living room, once to my bedroom, and then up to my office. The picture is pretty high quality so you can see what make the splitter is, etc. When I watch TV on my computer it looks ok (i mean its only an analog signal im getting, i dont have digital up in my office) But when I get this HDTV, I want to make sure the signal quality will be good enough.

Any insight would be appreciated.

The photo of the splitter outside is here

Username: Cabletech

Post Number: 10
That splitter has been there awhile, I would have them change it and the connecters, measure the signal and try to be between -5 and +5 behind the TV set with digital signal. The signal should be good at the splitter if the drop to the house is good.

larry the cable guy
Unregistered guest
i am impressed the cable company used a regal with grounding wire, and rg-6 ccompression fittings. cabletech can verify my observation, i see an unbalanced 3-way with the office lead being -3.5 and the other two -7 which is good foryou since you want another split on this line. i calculate a -10.5 if use another splitter to do pvr and new hdtv. if you had +15 coming to your house you would have +4.5 for your new hdtv and youare good to go

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 3
OMG. that last post was like GREEK, Larry!

"unbalanced 3-way" "-10.5....+15 coming...+4.5"

can you explain this in laymans terms...Even better something I could tell Comcast I want them to do?

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 4
I just wanted to make sure that you understood, Larry.. the 'office lead' 3.5db is run into my office and split (cable modem & PVR). I would/want to change that to a 3-way split and make the 3rd go to my future HD box

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I think you should have the cable co out and follow him/her around and be sure that they use a signal meter and be sure that you have at min -5db at the TV and if possible min of -5 atthe modem.Even if they have to run a new line to the modem. It would be nice to know how much signal we are starting out with.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
you dont want too many splitters in a row, it will cause the modem not to work properly, ie to much return lose.

larry the cable guy
Unregistered guest
unbalanced 3-way means -3.5 off one leg and -7 off the other two. balanced 3-way means -5.5 off each leg. a far away tv or a line that will be split again would use an unbalanced 3-way from the -3.5 leg to send more strength.
+15 coming to the house means how much signal you are starting out with and like cabletech mentioned it would be nice to know. +15 is an average guess, it may be less. this figure is needed to calculate how many splits can be made.
your first split is -3.5 to the office, another split -3.5 to modem and pvr. if you split the pvr line to feed a new hdtv, another -3.5 for a total of -10.5. if you started out with +15 you would be left with +4.5 to the new tv which is good.
ok, now the problem(s). cabletech mentioned all these splits will cause a problem with your modem because it needs to send a signal back on the return path. all these splits have caused too much loss on the return path which is why you don't want a 3-way inside the office. second, if you are geting an HD set-top box it also will run into trouble on the return path with all these splits. you may need a separate feed to the modem and the fewest splits possible to the set-top box.

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 5
ok. i kind of understand all this. I just emailed comcast with a detailed description of what I want to have done. Since I dont have a clue as to what my best avenue of approach would be, and apparently having them come out to check the signal is a necessity, I might as well just let them check it, and if needed, fix it
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us