Semi-n00bish Westinghouse HDTV / Comcast setup question

Unregistered guest
Ok, as i read more and more I, at the same time, get a better understanding as to how HDTV works, HDMI, ATSC, etc...but I also read conflicting story after story and cant find anything really difinitive.

Here are my basic 2 question.

1. I plan on purchasing the new Westinghouse LTV-27w6 HD television when it comes out in late Jan/early Feb. Some of the features the TV has are:

16:9 Aspect ratio
Native/Optimum Resolution 1366 x 768
16.7 Million colors
Compatible Modes
NTSC
HDTV
PC 480i
480p, 720p, 1080i
640 x 480, 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, 1280 x 720, 1360 x 768

Contrast Ratio 1000:1

Color Gamut 75% NTSC
Viewing Angle 176° Horizontal 176° Vertical
Response Time 8 ms

TV Features
Audio 2-10 watt speakers
Tuner 1 Cable-ready NTSC / HDTV ATSC
Video Processing Digital 3D Comb, Motion adaptive De-Interlacing, MTS/SAP, V-Chip, Closed Caption & EPG

Connectors 1 Composite Video In, 1 S-Video In, 2 YPbPr In, 1 DVI-HDCP In, 1 HDMI-HDCP In, 1 VGA In, 1 VGA Audio In (mini), 5 Dual RCA Audio In, 1 RJ45 for Service, 1 Antenna In, 1 Power In, 1 Dual RCA Audio Out, 1 Digital Audio Output

Ok, first question. I plan on using this for a computer monitor/hdtv upstairs in my office. Downstairs I have a large projection tv with Comcast Digital cable service. I also pay for basic cable which is run upstairs to my bedroom and in my office (the line into my office is split- one to my cable modem, one to my PVR card in my computer) Since this TV has a built-in ATSC tuner, it is my understanding, that I can hook up a coaxial to the monitor and pick up the free OTA HDTV channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX..these are basically all I really want). Am I correct in assuming this? If I would have to get an antenna, I might as well just rent an additional box and set it up here in my office to watch those channels in HD. OK that was the first question.

2nd. Since I have the coaxial cable split up here in my office (one to the modem, one to the pvr card)when I get a HD box (or even re-split it to hook directly to the tv) will I notice a degredation of my signal? Is there a good way to properly split the cable line to serve the 3 purposes I want to use it for (HD, PVR card, and Cable Internet) Is there something I can buy at, say, Radio Shack to improve signal strength/quality as opposed to the arm-and-a-leg Comcast would probably charge to boost the signal?

THanks for the help!

Username: Cabletech

Post Number: 1
1st If the signal isnt encrypted yes you will get them.
2nd If you use a 3-way splitter be sure that you use the -3.5db port for the modem and the other 2 are -7db. The modem needs a better signal than a TV. Hope that help alittle.

Post Number: 2
Oh if you buy a Radio Shack amp be sure that it has return capablity. usually between 5 and 40 megahertz.

Unregistered guest
thanks for the help, cabletech!

I did some ebay searching and I found :
this Cable Amplifier/splitter

will this do?

Post Number: 6
That amp looks good, but you should know how much signal is going into it first.You dont want to hit the TV too hard with signal.You want to be between -5 and +5 at the set.

Username: Erich_s

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 1
how do i find out how much signal is coming into the house first? Just call the cable company and ask? what specifically should I be asking?

oncemore, thanks again

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
If you are doing the work your self the only way is to have a signal meter on hand, they are expensive. If you know someone in the cable co. have them stop by and give some advice, or if you are upgrading your service, when the service person comes have them check the signal at every connection.

MgFrobozz
Unregistered guest
I'm using a Westinghouse LTV-27w6 to watch the Olympics on terrestrial broadcast. Note that it has no signal strength meter. As you repoint the antenna, it goes from beautiful reception to no picture at all rather suddenly, and it's somewhat difficult to guess when the signal is getting weak. A friend who also owns an hdtv with a built-in atsc tuner believes (after some experiments with a spectrum analyzer) that the problem is not signal strength, and is also not margin over the spectrum noise floor. Our best guess at this point is that the problem is multipath (signal reflection from tall buildings and airplanes). If this is the case, you'll need a good directional antenna for clear reception. I'm using a Jensen uhf loop + vhf ears, and it's not really good enough. There's an interior zenith antenna (ZHDTV1 ... looks like a yagi-uda design) that may work.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us