Digital Coax connection doesn't work

Username: Franktheiceman

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 1
Hi i just purchased a new HDTV. The TV has [2] coax connections [1] digital cable and [2] analog cable. According to Dishnetwork their signal is digital. So I connect the coax from their STB to the digital input and the TV wants to scan for channels and doesn't find anything. Why would it scan? I could only get it work (get video) when I connect it to the Analog cable.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2123
The incoming signal is digital, the signal from the receiver is analog. A TV tuner can't get satellite channels. Connect the s-video or RCAs to the TV, the picture quality will be far better and the audio will be stereo, with coax it's mono.

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 2
Thank your for quick response. So what is the Digital Cable connection on the TV used for? Is it for future use whenever dishnetwork's receivers output digital signal?
Is there any reference books I can but that will explain all these types of connections. Wow it was so simple years ago.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2124
Digital cable is for that, digital cable. Digital cable and a digital satellite are 2 different things. A satellite needs the receiver to send power to the LNB and receive and decompress the signal. Like I said in the previous post, connect the sat to the TV with s-video or RCAs, if s-video you still need RCAs for audio. Never use coax unless it's absolutely necessary. It will give poor quality video and on a satellite, the audio is mono.

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 3
Thanks for all the help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us