To Good To Be True?????????

Bronze Member
Username: Headutter

Post Number: 65
My son is looking for a big screen TV. He doesn't want to spend $3,000. He went into Circuit City and looked at everything including the projectors with the built in DVD. They had a Phillips 51" HD rearprojection being sold as an open box with an extended warrantee for $600.00 delivered and set up.
Sounds to good to be true to me. Anyone have expirience with this TV or similar Phillips product?

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 991
It must be a rear projection CRT model. The reason it is so cheap is because the CRT models are a dying breed. Most companies are stopping production of them and stores are clearing out old stock.

If you have the room for one then there is no reason pass on a great deal like that. You will get an excellent picture and many years of reliable use.

Username: Jaskim

Post Number: 8
Mr. Lynch

Do you think there will come a point where there will NO large CRT's on the market??

If so, I hope that is not in the immediate future because I am not exactly satisfied with the supposedly "better" technology out there right now.

jaskim

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 159
As of this year Best Buy will be down to ONE remaining CRT big screen. Here's to the day when there are zero.

Username: Tom_b_ong

Post Number: 1
Here's to the day when there will be no Best Buy dweebs selling $100 HDMI cables and "Line conditioners" that have no bearing on switching power supplies............

Here's to the day when sales people can actually be trusted to educate NOT educated to rippoff customers who seek information.

Here's to the day when Wal Mart puts places like Best Buy out of business with slim margins, a generous return policy, wide selection and cheap EWs for those who cannot sleep without that useless paper.

That day is coming. Costco is already making waves in the consumer electronics market. Wal Mart will soon follow in a big way.

Then whats the boys in the blue shirts gonna do?

Sell CDs, chocolate bars and TV stands.

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 160
Walmart, yeah right. I'll be worried when they can actually set up a television and keep it operating more than a week.

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 438
RE: Phillips 51" HD rearprojection being sold as an open box WITH an extended warrantee for $600.00 delivered and set up.

David,

Short version, BUY IT. (if it's still there)

The main thing you need to check for is screen burn in... Especially if the set has been used as a display.

At most "box" stores.. the "sales" people either don't adjust the contrast down from the factory settings, or turn it up to make it look "brighter".

I've seen many times sets that have been ruined because they had the set hooked up to a DVD player to demo the set.. Problem is at the end of the movie it would display the main DVD movie "menu" for hours at a time which burns the phosphors. (static image) Burn-in .. http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ISSUES/what_sets_avail.html

On a crt based set you want to run the contrast around 30, instead 100... (AKA: torch mode)

PS: A crt based set will give you many years of service. $600 with Extended warranty, delivered?

BUY IT.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
Thank you for the replies. Here's more info. The $600.00Tv now has gone to $1100.00. Some of you, by your comments won't be surprized. Seems betweem HDMI cables and connnectors, additional 2 year warrantee and tax the cost is now $1100.00. I called the cable company (Comcast) and they said they supply all the connections to their box and set it up free. He's going back to have a talk with them.

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 444
David,

You can't really fiqure the cost of cables into the cost of the TV. Cost of the system yes, but not the tv.

PS: Gets the cables off EBAY if you have to buy them.... they are just as good.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 996
I use $15 Ebay HDMI cables with both my HDTVs. Never had any problems.

I think RPCRTs are going to be non-existant in the near future. They produce a great picture but they are not very "sexy" when compared to the new digital displays. With the prices of Digital sets starting to creep into the RPCRT range people don't mind paying more for the newer technology. Even if it isn't necesarily better.

It is the same thing with portable music. A portable CD player sounds much better than anything you can play on an IPOD, but what do more people want?

Bronze Member
Username: Angel_l

Miami, FL. USA

Post Number: 13
Check out this site for inexpensive quality cables and accesories.

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

Silver Member
Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 130
go for it, look at the aspect by hitachi aswell, CC don't sell the 65" any more but the still have the 51. My guess is they sold so many of them they couldn't sell the Dlp or lcd tv's so they did away with them.. I saw the price of the 65 start around 1400 and went up to 1800 that again to keep the cost of it up so people stop buying them and buying the dlp's lcd's The aspect lacks a tuner but if your going to use the set top box anyway....

Now mr lynch, the reason people go with mp3(digital music) vs cd is many factors

1) no skips
2) have the songs you want organized the why you want and don't have to carry a folder of cd's
3) small and compact great for walks, jogs, and any other size issues come with bulky cd players.
4) i don't think people realize quilty of mp3 is less then cd, hehe i watched some program and they said it less then fm radio or something like that.... but it's digital ;)
5) price differnce is 50-100 not 500 to 1000's like crt vs dlp....

I was hoping to get the 65" aspect by hitachi but was very unhappy they don't carry it anymore... Rex's said they could get it for me... we'll see...

Silver Member
Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 131
well scrath that about the aspect by hitachi at CC

they don't have it listed anymore for the 51" either............part of the crt phase out or slow hitachi sales.

Figures get great consumer reviews and they do away with it.....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
Thank you all for the relies. He did buy it and says the gas filled video cables made a huge difference from the ones supplied by the cable co.
So far very pleased with what he got for the money

Bronze Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 55
Gas filled video cables?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us