RCA HD44LPW62, am I just not getting something?

Username: Boatillo

Post Number: 2
Fiance and I just bought this set at Target after deciding DLP was the technology we wanted, and a widescreen TV was also a wishlist.

Make the 320 mile roundtrip to get TV, set it up, pop in a WIDESCREEN dvd, and what do we get? BLACK BARS everywhere! We set our DVD player to 16:9 aspect ratio, and there are 4 modes on the RCA tv:

Normal - gives us black bars on top, bottom, left AND right of picture!

Cinerama - supposedly doesn't work with a natural 16:9 picture, but gives black bars on top and bottom of picture.

Flexwide - looks exactly the same as Cinerama

Zoom - completely removes all the blackbars, BUT takes out some of the picture too.

Am I an idiot when it comes to widescreens, but I thought the black bars WOULD BE GONE! Tell me I didn't buy a "widescreen" tv to see the same black bars every other tv shows on the top and bottom - and I don't want to run everything I watch in Zoom format!

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 987
Clark-

A widescreen 16:9 TV (like yours) is a ratio of 1.78 to 1. If you look on the back of most DVDs the aspect ratio will be listed. Most movies have an aspect ratio of either 2.35 to 1 or 1.85 to 1, so you will get black bars on the top/bottom.

You can read more aspect ratios here...
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/widescreenorama.h tml

There are several pages of good info.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us