Cabling/antennas/reception (long).

Username: Mth

Post Number: 1
This is long. The main question is at the end.

I got Dish network about a month ago and I've had some problems with it.

The installers are coming again on Thursday because I've lost service and I wanted to hit you all up for a couple of questions before they come.

I have a HDTV, and HD service through dish. I have 2 rooftop antennas, a VHF and a UHF multi-directional.

The current cabling structure is this:

1) an RG-6 cable comes down from the UHF (NOT the VHF) and the dish. (about 20' each)

2) They go into a combiner, then through the brick wall on an old cable company cable. (about 6')

3) That cable runs into a "1-1 joiner". Sorry, I don't know the name. It's just a "tube connector" -- one cable in, one cable out.

4) The out cable is also an old cable company cable. (20')

5) That runs into a splitter which goes to "ant" and "sat" on the back of the receiver, from which I run 1' RG-6. (about 1')

Basically, since I've had reception problems, I'm wondering where the flaws in this might be.

For one, I get better reception with rabbit ears than with a rooftop antenna. I live 1.5 miles from "TV Hill" in Baltimore with no obstructions, so I can't believe that I get so much signal loss from the broadcasters.

I don't get any reception from the stations that are about 8-10 miles away (UPN and PBS) but I do get it with the rabbit ears.

I know of people who get better signal strength than I who live further away.

So, ideally, I'd like to tell the installer to run a RG-6 from the dish all the way directly to the receiver.

Also, I'd like to tell him to do a combine at the antennas so that I get reception from both and run a separate RG-6 all the way from the antennas to the receiver without using splitters/joiners.

Here's the question: basically, am I being foolish? Is it silly to think that that I'm losing enough signal by going

RG-6's -> combiner -> old cable -> connector -> old cable -> splitter?

Also -- let's say I did have a perfect 45' run from a rooftop antenna to my receiver. Is is conceivable that rabbit ears with a 1 foot run is better than a rooftop with a 45' run? The rabbit ears still don't get everything I think they should.

Is it possible those old cables are RG-6? I've lived in the house for 5 years and they haven't been replaced in that time. I think the installers just wanted to save themselves the hassle.

I wish it had all been done in the first place, but I was not able to be home for it (the wife was).

Thanks for any thoughts. I know that's long, but I'd like to be able to talk to the installer well-informed.

Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 1
It certainly sounds like something in the mix of combiners, existing cable, possible poor installation, etc. is resulting in major signal loss.
You might try your original concept of running new RG-6 from the UHF antenna all the way to the back of the set top box (it should have a separate connector for exteral over the air antenna - no need for combiners). Eliminate all the sources for signal loss with continuous cable runs and only 2 connectors, one at each end - antenna to box, sat antenna to box.

One other thought - at your UHF antenna - get a new 300 ohm to 75 ohm outdoor balun. It is very possible that lightening (not a direct strike, but nearby pulse) could have damaged it. Your test of simple rabbit ears outperforming your external antenna is proof "something" is very wrong with the external rig.

Username: Mth

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the response.

The installer has already come and gone. He told me that the cable company cable was RG-6.

He thought that maybe the signal strength was so strong from the nearby antennae that it was drowing out the others.

He suggested a quad bow-tie for the roof. I'll see. The TV has been all right for a while.

Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us