Question about Samsung 42" Plasma SP-R4232 EDTV

Username: Raf

Post Number: 8
I have a question regarding my Samsung 42" Plasma SP-R4232 EDTV, specifically its resolution capabilities and whether the jump to high def is warranted.

My instruction booklet provides that the display resolution is 852 x 480 pixels, the broadcast format displayed is 480p (EDTV) and 480i (SDTV), and the broadcast format supported is 1080i (HDTV), 720p (HDTV), 480p (EDTV), and 480i (SDTV). Does this all mean that the most my television will display is 480p? If so, will the purchase of a high def receiver and programming package through DirectTV make any difference? My tv at Best Buy looks GREAT running high def programming (as in so much better than what I have at home) so I was thinking about taking the plunge with the purchase of a high def receiver and programming package through DirectTV. However, I don't want to spend money unnecessarily if there is really no difference. All guidance is greatly appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Ncavman

N.C.

Post Number: 101
Yes, you have the pixel configuration for 480p on that display. High def signals (1080i or 720p) will be scaled down by your TV and will look better than SD signals on your display. Let your TV do the downconversion and set your cable box or Directv box pass the highest signal it can. FWIW, digital cable is beating the pants off of DSS in the high def world, both in equipment and programming options.

Bottom line, YES, you will benefit from high def equipment feeding that display.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 298
Actually, the answer is maybe. There are really two ways to do this.

1. AS above suggested, let the plasma use its internal scaler to downscale the hd-lite signal ( its not true HD BTW) to 480P. The quality of the internal scaler determines the result. The Panny ED downscaling leads to a superb result for HD material. I do not know about the Samsung.

2. The other way to do this is to set the receiver of signal to output to 480i or p if possible. It is likely that the first method will give the better result, but heck, its free to try both ways.

FYI- true HD is 1920 x 1080. However Dish/direct TV have announced a limit of 1240 or sox1080 so the signal is not true HD. This is an issue for the latest generation of true 1080P displays which would like to be fed 1920x1080 HD signals for their best rersult. ( Hence the term HD-Lite)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us