Any good comments on JVC HD-ILA TV's?

Username: Rens2448

Post Number: 3
I am thinking of buying the JVC HD52G786 D-ILA and see nothing but bulb problems. Does anyone own one of these and have anything good to say about it?

Thanks

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
I own one and LOVE IT! I had the Z585 for one year (never had a bulb problem but had a light engine issue) and loved it. I now have the G886. It's been running since early October an average of 5-6 hours a day with NO issues at all. The picture is STUNNING. I think it's a great TV with great customer service if you know how to deal with customer service. There are definitely bulb issues. I don't know exactly what has caused those issues but it is apparent that JVC is doing all that they can to satisfy their customers. I certainly understand the frustration when a bulb goes but if they are replacing them and working to resolve the issue, what more can they do?

P. S. JVC is not the only manufacturer dealing with bulb issues.

Username: Rens2448

Post Number: 4
tvshopper....I agree. I see a lot of issues with basically all of the "new technology" tv's. Thanks for the info. I think I have been looking at this stuff too much and its driving me crazy. Every time I'm ready to buy, I always come on here and read the latest views, then decide not to buy it. I guess I need to just the bite the bullett and buy one.

Thanks

KIM DAVIS
Unregistered guest
I HAVE THE JVC G889 AS WELL. MY HUBBY AND I WERE IN THE STORE WANTING A NEW BIG SCREEN FOR THE OUR DREAM GAMEROOM WE HAVE BEEN WORKING ON FOR YEARS. WE SAW THIS TV AND KNEW WE HAD TO HAVE IT. THE GREATEST PICTURE I HAVE EVER SEEN. WE WROTE THE CHECK FROM OUR SAVINGS AND OFF WE WENT WITH BIG SMILES. WE SHOULD'VE JUST THROWN THE MONEY AWAY. I DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT BULB LIFE. I'M A STAY AT HOME MOM SO THE TV IS ALMOST ALWAYS ON.I'M NOT THE SAVIEST OF ELECTRONICS CONSUMERS, I SHOULDA CHECKED INTO THIS. I SOMEHOW WAS THINKING THIS WAS PROBABLY ALL WE WOULD EVER NEED.SINCE WE HAD OUR OTHER AND NOW PRIMARY TV FOR 15 YEARS PRIOR.WE WERE MAKING A LARGE INVESTMENT IN PICTURE QUALITY. THE MANUAL SAYS DONT LEAVE ON LONGER THAN 24 HOURS, AND YOU'LL GET 6000 HRS OF LIFE. WHAT AN UNDERSTATEMENT. WE HAVE ONLY GOTTEN 96 DAYS OF USE. I REALIZE WE USE IT ALOT ABOUT 8 HOURS A DAY, BUT THATS ONLY ABOUT 768 HOURS OF USE. ALL THAT MONEY FOR 96 DAYS OF USE. I COULD CRY.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Kim,

So I am assuming you blew a bulb (it isn't totally clear from your post). Call JVC and they will replace it. There was a run of bad bulbs that blew prematurely. I have heard that they have worked through that and are providing replacements. I had a bulb for over a year and it was still going strong when I got rid of the TV (an older Z585). Give JVC a chance but document all of your experiences.

KIM DAVIS
Unregistered guest
TY TVSHOPPER,
YOU HAVE GIVEN ME A RAY OF HOPE THAT I MAY AGAIN ENJOY MY TV. I'M WAITING ON REPLACEMENT BULB AND I REALLY PRAY THAT IT IS A FIXED PROBLEM BECAUSE I JUST LOVE THE SET.

hdtv-01
Unregistered guest
tvshopper You said in the below link that you were having problems with the light engine and that one week later the light engine was replaced and worked perfectly. If that is the case why did you get rid of a set if it was was working perfectly?

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=584969#POST584969

Gold Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 1005
I bought an HD52z585 back in August 2004. I had the light engine replaced in October 2004 and the set have been perfect ever since. The set is on 30-40 hours a week so it gets heavy use with HDTV, SDTV, Xbox and DVDs. I love it and I'm glad I choice the JVC over other brands.

If I was to buy a large HDTV again, it would only be a JVC Dila. I've been very happy with not only the TV but also the customer service. They have always been great to me.

In the last couple days all my friends have been asking me to throw a Super Bowl party because I hae the best TV. Some of them have HD sets but they all agree that the JVC looks better than anything out there when it comes to watching football. So bright, vivid and smooth when compared to their sets (Samsung DLP, Hitachi LCD, Sony LCD).

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
hdtv-01,

I upgraded to the G series and now own a G886. I wanted the new generation.

Username: James_in_va

Suffolk, VA

Post Number: 7
Did any of you looking at the JVC sets consider their pro line models such as the 70" HD-P70R1U or the 61" HD-P70R1U? I have been strongly considering one of these instead of getting the 60" Sony SXRD (which I had my heart set on prior to learning about the JVCs). That said, I've been having trouble finding info on the pro models. Perhaps that is because they're not available at big box retailers? My thanks for any input and good luck to you all!

Best,
James

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
James,

Here is the link to JVC's website....

http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?productId=PRD4208502&pathId=125

And, here's a link to vendors that have it....

http://www.buyersedge.com/Product/prodDesc.asp?XOS=3655334&pageView=1&iDZ=0

Cheers.

Terry S.
Unregistered guest
I've had my JVC D-ILA for about 6 months running 2-3 hours a day with no absolutly no problems of any kind. Guests are constantly commenting about what a fantastic picture it has (and I'm just running the factory settings).

Actually I've had one problem with the JVC , similar to Mr Lynch's mentioned above. I had everyone over to watch the AFC playoffs, and I assumed someone else would host the Superbowl Party. Well a couple of my "buddies" are hosting a Superbowl party, but because they love the JVC so much, they are having it at my place !!

Bronze Member
Username: Uhphikap

Post Number: 45
I've personally owned a JVC HD52G886 since August 2005, and I absolutely LOVE IT! Having the Super Bowl Party at MY PLACE this year! When the Astros were in the World Series, had about 25 people over...picture was just amazing, and everyone commented about how great it was. VERY happy with the TV, and when it comes time to upgrade, JVC will get the nod from me.

Thanks,
Brian Pool
TapeWorks Texas
1-866-827-3489
tapeworksbrian@sbcglobal.net
http://tapeworkstexas.com/home_theater.html

Bronze Member
Username: Sailbyte

Post Number: 53
I also have the HD52Z575 for a little over a year. It is on 4-6 hours every night and no problems. Because of the recall, I did have the ballest replaced, which was done at my home and my convenience. The JVC authorized tech who did the repair works on many sets (his repair shop is a mile from my house) -- he commented on how simple the inside workings of the JVC are compared to other DLP based brands and how he thought the JVCs were better built.

I knew about the "combustable" bulb going in (hopefully I will get my 3 years out of it) and would buy another JVC in a heatbeat.

At some point, I plan to order a spare bulb -- I am just waiting until the we get past this apparent problem batch.

I would buy the JVC again in a heartbeat.

Bronze Member
Username: Bruceorlando

Orlando, Florida US of A

Post Number: 19
Another happy JVC camper here. We've had our HD56G886 since the beginning of October and it has been running with nary a problem or hiccup.

I ordered a spare bulb last month ago after getting a little paranoid when I read of all the bulb failures, but haven't had to use it.

I just returned from a trip where I spent the week with friends. They have a new 65" Samsung DLP. It's nice, and certainly is bigger than my 56 inch, but it just wasn't as vivid and vibriant to my eyes as the JVC. Viewing HD on it just wasn't that spectacular.

Theres's something about the PQ on the JVC that just triggers my wow factor, even after owning one all these months.

-bruce

Bronze Member
Username: Angel_l

Miami, FL. USA

Post Number: 21
Satisfied JVC costumer,

I bought a 56 g886 for my father in law in sept. 05. I have to say the picture quality is amazing, the lamp has already died, but thats the technology. JVC sent a replacement lamp in three days with no questions asked. I will try to get as many lamps as possible before the warrenty runs out, and always have a spare lamp available.
One side note I do not like the plastic remote, and the menu could be better. And one more thing HDMI still buggy, fortunatly there is a reset.

Username: Mike_campbell

Post Number: 1
I have owned a 52Z575 for just over one year. No issues with the bulb, but I did have the sound card/amplifier board replaced. Luckily, when I purchased the TV, I was able to haggle a free 5 yr protection plan from HH Gregg. Best decision ever for this bleeding edge technology. No hassles, in house service and it is a must have for this level of technology and price.

ddgang
Unregistered guest
I bought an hd52g886 in sept.05---Picture is great---no problems there. But i am sensing that the picture is getting dimmer---is this normal, or am I just being paranoid? When the bulb goes, how does it go? Does it gradually get dimmer or does it just go out like a light bulb? I probably have around 1500 hours on it, I don't really keep track of it but I'd have to say it is close. Does the normal 1 year warranty cover the lamp?---Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Bruceorlando

Orlando, Florida US of A

Post Number: 21
ddgang

You will be covered by JVC for a bulb within the fist year's warranty period for sure.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
ddgang,

After a number of hours (50 - 100) the bulb mellows out to its normal output. That may be what you're witnessing. If it's more dramatic than that it probably is a bulb going bad.

ddgang
Unregistered guest
Thanks BruceOrlando & tvshopper for the info---
Nobody else in the household has mentioned anything yet so maybe i'm just paranoid, (hopefully).
MORE QUESTIONS---iS THERE A BRIGHTNESS SETTING ON THESE TVS? iS THER AN HOUR COUNTER? AND DOES ANYONE KNOW IF JVC IS PLANNING ON MAKING A LAMP THAT WILL LAST LONGER THAN 6000 HOURS ON THESE SETS? i HAVE HAD 3 JVC SETS IN THE LAST 18 YEARS. a 27" THATS 18 YEARS OLD, (STILL RUNNING, NEVER HAD SERVICED, An 8 year old standard projection set, still running never been serviced and now this one. I'd hate to think that JVC would let me down this time. thanks again.

Username: Onlookerdelay

Rock Hill, SC USA

Post Number: 2
Brian,

What if anything are you hearing on the new JVC HD-G787 line? I've decided to wait until they are released before making a purchase decision. The new dynamic optical iris is what really has my attentkion. Well, that along with the hope that they've licked the bulb life problem with a new design.

The suggested retail price for the HD-52G787 is stated as $2799. What might that translate to in street prices? Isn't that retail price less than that of the current HD-52G786?

Bronze Member
Username: Croozer

Rockford, IL United States

Post Number: 19
HD52G886 here and its looking good!

Rock Hill, SC USA

Post Number: 3
Croozer,

How long have you had yours? Also, were you advised to get a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) for yours? Finally, did you find that a calibration was needed once you got it going? A lot of guys seem to swear by the Avia calibration disk, especially for the D-ILA line.

Bronze Member
Username: Croozer

Rockford, IL United States

Post Number: 20
I picked it up last week, and yes I plan to get a UPS system, also thanx for the info on the Avia.

Unregistered guest
We bought a HD-52G566 in December 21/05 and the bulb is gone already. But I have also had a white ghost about 5 inches wide in the center on the TV from top to bottom. Service tech over the phone has asked me to do many things to it, I have been waiting for the service for 2 days now I love the set but when we invited 20 people for a party and we bragged about our set then it dies in front of them, JVC won't get any sales from them. Any ideas on the white ghost on the screen when the TV is off.

dramaking
Unregistered guest
Oh my god in heaven a bulb died so 20 people won't buy from JVC!? Well, that's ignorance for you.

Rock Hill, SC USA

Post Number: 5
Macnab wrote: "We bought a HD-52G566 in December 21/05 and the bulb is gone already. But I have also had a white ghost about 5 inches wide in the center on the TV from top to bottom."

This is the first I've heard of the white ghost problem. Was the service tech familiar with it, or were they just giving you some general troubleshooting measures?

Too bad about the bulb. I've heard too many horror stories about the bulb life with these sets. It's a shame because when they're working right, the D-ILA's are hard to top in their class. I hope you get a replacement bulb from a "good lot" soon. The reports on getting replacement bulbs vary from 2 days to 2 weeks!

Username: Light_engine

Post Number: 1
Macnab, you may have an igorant light engine failure which is indicated with a ghost image which will probably get worse. This thread went from good to bad quickly.

Rock Hill, SC USA

Post Number: 6
Mr. Light Engine wrote:

"Macnab, you may have an igorant light engine failure which is indicated with a ghost image which will probably get worse. This thread went from good to bad quickly."

So that ghost image is symptomatic of a pending light engine failure? That's a rear projection owner's worst nightmare! If that's the case, at least Macnab's factory warranty will cover it. He just bought the set in December. I read that light engines are $1,500!... that's over 75% of the cost of the set!?

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 454
I might have missed something... but you guys did notice the ghost image is when the set is turned OFF didn't you? If Macnab's problem is when the set is turned OFF, it's not the light engine:-)

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=609625#POST609625

"I have also had a white ghost about 5 inches wide in the center on the TV from top to bottom."

"Any ideas on the white ghost on the screen when the TV is off."

On the light engines, lamps, HDMI boards going bad. It does appear that JVC needs to tighten up quality control... and honor the rated run time of components, regardless it the set is officially still in warranty. https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/176314.html

Some people may say "hey it's out of warranty"... you're out of luck.

I would agree with that if we were talking about a "mature" technology.. like CRT sets.

The thing is we JVC owners at this point in time are really "retail" paying "Beta" testers it seems and I believe JVC should extend the official warranty to reflect the rated run time, and statements made by JVC that say the Light engine uses NO organic compounds unlike other display technologies that have the potential to break down.(Since JVC has been making D-ILA type projectors for a while we really shouldn't be "seeing" these light engine failures in the numbers being posted.)

What I mean is most any new model of anything is going to having teething problems... Problems either related to the design of the item itself, the component parts, or something that happens in the mfg'ing process. (I.e untrained people -new factory =More rejects, failures)

A "smart" mfg will stand behind early adopters..(regardless of the "official" warranty).. Of course some mfg's are betting on people having a short memory.

Oh, one more thing... If there is NO design, or production problem on the D-ILA sets and you're using good quality components in the mfg you're not going to have that many warranty claims percentage wise against you. If for example JVC was to extend the warranty to 3 years.... They would benefit from a huge increase in sales.... The current warranty of 1 year of all these types of sets (regardless of mfg) is a joke for something so expensive to buy and get repaired.

Say you're looking to buy a set (or anything)... One has a 1 year warranty, the other a 3 year warranty.... Which one would you:

A: Buy
b: Have more "faith" in?

A 1 year warranty doesn't give me a "warm" fuzzy feeling..... Especially after all the posts I've read(and my personal experience) about problems with the D-ILA sets.

One last thought, if anyone's thinking of buying a D-ILA...
A: Get the extended warranty.
B: Look into buying it on a credit card, some of which extend the warranty period
C: Buy one of the "new" (Oct, 2005+/-) "Designer Pro sets that have the 3-step auto iris that improves blacks levels. If not plan on doing a ND filter mod to improve black levels if you watch Sci-Fi, or tv, movies because "dark scenes aren't "dark" like a CRT based set.

I sold a Toshiba 57H81 (I had tweaked) , and to tell you the truth it looked much "smoother", didn't have macro blocking, and had "true" blacks..

(ND= Neutral Density filter -Most of the time it's a "dark" piece of glass that throttles back the amount of light being transmitted.)

NOTE: If you're buying the tv to watch football, Or want to drag the tv outside and watch it in your front yard you will be VERY happy with the D-ILA. The D-ILA sets are WAYYYYY to bright.

Rock Hill, SC USA

Post Number: 7
I've done a little more research into what could be meant by JVC's mention of "optical iris" in their press release about the forthcoming G787 (720p) series. I'm not sure if the conclusion can be drawn that this is equivalent to what JVC dubbed "Super Cinema Mode (3 Step Optical Iris System)" in their current 1080p series. I would think that if the release of the new G787 series is truly set for March, the product details would be a little more specific at this point.

Rock Hill, SC USA

Post Number: 9
Well, it's March now... news should be breaking any day about the new JVC HD-XXG787 series. But I won't hold my breath. I'd just like to know how the street prices are going to run.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us