Decent 720p HDTV? Samsung?

Username: Timm

Post Number: 1
I would love to wait and spend the money on the new LED DLP coming out from Samsung, but since we're about to buy a house and "need" a big screen TV for my quite big living room, I am looking more into the "low cost, but still decent" category

I am thinking of the Samsung HLP5063W? Possibly the RCA HD50LPW175 or the Samsung HL-R5067W?

Can anybody give me some good comments about those? or maybe better alternatives for the money?

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 558
Not the P63! Not the RCA!

The R67 is a good one.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=7752057&search=hlr5067

Post Number: 2
thanks for the answer. can I ask why not those ones?

Peaches
Unregistered guest
The 63 series has a problem with color wheel bearings. They wear out quickly and make noise. The RCA has an unusually short lived and unusually expensive bulb.

Post Number: 3
thanks for the info. So basically my question is what is the best 720p TV out there? Does it make sense to get one of those for now a little cheaper?

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 988
Timm-

Each brand/type of TV wil have it's +/-. Do you see rainbows on DLP? Do you watch TV in a dark area or are there several windows and lights?

If you want the best black levels and you aren't sensitive to rainbows then DLP might be for you. Samsung, Toshiba, Mitsubishi and RCA all make great DLP sets.

If you have many windows or a bright room in general then the JVC set might be for you. It is the brightest most vivid set out there, but it's shadow detail is not as good as most DLP sets.

If you want something inbetween then a nice Sony or Panasonic LCD might be a better fit.

I have 2 large windows in my living room so I went with the JVC. Even direct sunlight is no match for it. A good friend has his TV in a dark basement so he bought a Samsung DLP and it fits his needs.

Either way you should be able to find a nice 720p set for well under $2500.

Post Number: 4
MR. lynch-

that gets me already further thanks. So basically it doesn't really matter what brand I would be getting, right? I mean you hear stories from all of them where this or that breaks. I am just wondering which one (or which ones) the more reliable is/are?

Username: Mss

Post Number: 2
what do you think about samsung hlr6768 or 6168 versus sony sxrd 60"?
FYI.. Our living room is fairly bright..

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 992
Timm-

I heard many good and bad stories about all brands. I think if your going to go for a rear projection set you should be prepared that there may be potential problems.

My local repair tech told me that Mitsubishi, Sony, Hitachi and JVC use the best parts, while Samsung and LG tend use cheaper part. Toshiba, Panasonic and RCA are also pretty well built, but you will see complaints and horror stories about ALL of the above companies. Bottom line is, go with what looks best to you, think seriously about an extended warranty and enjoy!. 95% of the time you will have a great experience with whatever you get.

Shan-

That's an easy one. The Sony SXRD blows away just about any TV out there. Great blacks/shadow detail, vivid color, TRUE 1080p resolution, no chance for rainbows and a high quality build.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us