Sony Bravia 40 LCD versus Panasonic 42 HD Plasma

Username: Smoothdouglas

Post Number: 1
I've been looking to purchase a Plasma or LCD HD TV for the last year. I finally have the funds after selling a vehicle. I'm torn between the Sony Bravia 40 inch KDLV40XBR1 and the Panasonic TH42PX50U 42 inch HD Plasma. Obviously the price of the Panasonic is around $600 cheaper wherever I look. Reviews in Consumer Reports definately show that the Panasonic Plasma are top of the line. Sony also are top of the line for LCD. However, I have to admit that I am a Sony fan through and through. Sony Camcorder, Sony Digital Camera, VCR, and 35 inch Sony Trinitron. I've never had any problems with any of my Sony products. I need a flat screen for where I want to put the TV. I'm looking for a TV that has a wide viewing angle, long lasting, great picture, and good reliability. I was certainly set on buying the Sony until I got the pricetag. Is the price worth it to buy the Sony over the Panasonic?

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 293
Depends on viewing material and ambient lighting. Also these two technologies have a different look. The Sony appears brighter like most LCDs and the Panny is sort of morerealistic through the window. The Panny 42HD has a b;ack levels changing issue BTW, fairly well known, that has a fix to it by goin into the service menu and setting the letterbox mode to on. Anyway, the LCD might be preerred in lighter environments and the plasma is preferred in the dark. The refresh rate on the Sony right now will cuase a small amount of motion artifact that a plasma wont have. The Panasonics are all spoken for from the plant by the way so if your vendor doesnt have one you will likely be qaiting for the next genration of plasmas anyway.

Galileo
Unregistered guest
I'm a Sony fan myself on TV's, computer monitors, and camcorders. I have read some great reviews on the Panasonic plamas. I own mostly Panasonic VCR's and telephones, they have been very reliable, so I decided to purchase the Panasonic 500U plasma. My Sony TV products which have exceeded the warranty period before repair has not have the longevity that older Sony TV's in the past before repair.

Craig141
Unregistered guest
Im torn between the same decision dude...the Panny 42 or the Sony 40 bravria.....but ive made up my mind...im going for the Sony. Its not because im a Sony fan-boy, I actually think they are a bit overrated. The panny plasma is supposed to be one of the best in the biz, and you definatly get your bang for your buck with plasma over LCD. You know why im going for the Sony? Because its the one I want! and I know it. And I dont want to drop a few grand and not be happy with my choice. I could write a book about the differences between LCD and plasma and it still wouldnt give you a clear winner but the panny is a slightly better choice in the quality/money department, thats for sure. But the Sony will make me feel happier and thats why im getting that. And I'm guessing you feel the same way. hope this helps - C

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 188
Dude you will be happy with that Sony.I love watching my 32XBR1.I like the LCD look beteer with the brighter colors and sharper image.The XBR has nice blacks for an LCD and awsome response.Mine has yet to pixelate and i stand around TV's 8 hours a day,so im really picky on PQ.Plus i have a well lit room and dont wanna not be alble to watch TV cause the room is well lit with the plasma mirror effect.

Post Number: 2
I went with the Sony. I got a good deal at a local store in town. I basically decided that the Sony was the one I'd be satisfied with. If I went with the Panny I would have been thinking....damn...wish I would have bought the Sony. Other more practical reasons....Computer Input (I'm a gamer), No burn-in issues, viewing angle (tight long area), some say LCD's last longer and a less reflective surface. I also never got to see the Panny. The store in town here only carried the ED model not the HD (I live in the midwest). They did have the Sony however and it looked spectacular in HD, and good with an analog signal. I've now got everything on order now for my TV and home theatre system. Got the Yamaha RX-V757 receiver, Paradigm Home Theatre Speakers, Panasonic DVD, Harmony MX600 IR Remote and of course the Bravia 40in HD LCD Television from Sony. I can't wait to set it up. Thanks for all your input fellas.

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 193
Nice choice man...

HRO
Unregistered guest
Trying to figure out if the 50" Sony SXRD or the 40" Sony XBR LCD is better for me. Have not been able to see both in close proximity to one another to compare pictures. Viewing distance will be from 8 to 16 feet and location will be in a corner of a 20' by 20' room. Room is fairly bright with large windows on one side wall but most TV watching is at night. I like the sharpness of the picture on the LCD XBR but wonder if 40" is large enough for the room. The 50" SXRD would barely fit the area where the TV goes. Would appreciate your thoughts and counsel. Thanks very much.

Post Number: 3
HRO - I really liked the SXRD and would of purchased one instead of the Sony 40 LCD, but the location where I wanted to put it would have been WAY too small for the 50 SXRD. I liked the picture on the SXRD and if I had the room I would have went with the larger TV. Who knows my upstairs room has room for a 50 incher. I may be purchasing again in another year! But, I have yet to get my Sony 40 LCD. They are on backorder. Takes a month from when they order the TV's to get to the local store here. Selling like hotcakes is what they told me. ARGH!! Why does the TV I want have to be so popular!

Michael Aben565
Unregistered guest
I had the same decision, between a LCD (a Samsung, not a Sony) and the Panny HD. I finally went with the Panny for three reasons:

1) Black levels: LCD still has a ways to go to catch up on black levels compared to plasmas. And the Panny has the best in the industry.
2) Motion artifacts: I watch lots of sports and lots of movies and with the LCDs, even the top-of-the-line ones, I was still noticing blurring. That's not a problem with the plasma.
3) Cost! Inch-for-inch, the plasmas give you more bang for the buck. Plus, why pay $600 more for two inches less?

I've had the Panny for two weeks now and I absolutely love it. No burn-in issues, watching HD is like looking through a glass, and it looks damn good in my living room.

KeithJ
Unregistered guest
I was sold on the Bravia until a sales guy, (selling both) sort of said the Panasonic was going to be a better deal. Burn in has mostly been taken care of (just watch some regular tv to refresh) and lifespan of plasma now is equal to lcd. Plus he said stuck pixels and the bulb replacement and cooling in the lcd could end up making it not worth it. Is this guy just blowing smoke? he was going to sell me a cheaper tv by saying this. Any thoughts
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us