Descrambler to replace a Zenith PM-1

iLuVtV
Unregistered guest
there was an earlier thread: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/162476.html
that dealt with this topic. I just wanted to know if a satisfactory resolution was found. Essentially the problem is finding a cable descrambler that will work to descramble premium cable channels being offered by Blue Ridge Communications (BRC) in Northeast PA (Poconos region). BRC uses Zenith PM-1 and PM-2 cable boxes for which there are apparently no descramblers. According to one poster, an individual desiring premium channels might have to make a descrambler from scratch because "the encryption, the custom SAW filters and the low penetration rate of [the PROCESS system used by the Zenith PM/PZ boxes] all have made hacking this system unprofitable." The same poster suggested purchasing the PD3 descrambler from aaelectronics.com. Does anyone know if the PD3 offers a satisfactory solution? Preferably someone who is a Blue Ridge Cable subscriber, or anyone with direc experience.

r_o_b_e_r_t
Unregistered guest
I obtained a PD3 from the above source several years ago. It has performed, and continues to perform, splendidly in the beautiful Pocono Mountain region. Note, however:

1.) You will need a separate converter (RF, not baseband).
2.) The Zenith data encryption has not been hacked. The PD3 units in my possession have been "modified" to enable only the 6dB "descrambling" mode. In other words, the PD3 units are "fixed" in the 6dB mode and will restore only those channels which are "scrambled" in the fixed 6dB mode. If dynamic mode is ever used (dynamic mode needs the encrypted data), you will lose picture whenever not in 6dB suppression. However, this has not been an issue. Since switching to the Zenith system, BRC Poconos has never used dynamic "scrambling". All their premium analog pays (except one) are in the fixed 6dB mode. So my PD3s work just fine. More?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us