Sony 50xbr question

ronie
Unregistered guest
I am new to HDTV,I would like to know why the Sony specs say it has 1080p, but when you read reviews they say it can not accept 1080p input? I do not understand why that is. It seems to me it would be foolish to buy a tv now if it did not accept 1080p when it looks as if that is where high def. is headed. Are there any tv's out now that do accept 1080p if the sony 50sxbr doesn't? Thanks for any info someone can share with me on this.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 553
Confusing isn't it?

It's not that it has 1080P. It's that it is a 1080P display. The 50xbr1 will accept any input signal and scale it to 1080P because that is the only format the set will display. Other HD micro-display sets are 720P only. They will also receive any signal format, but will display only 720P. It's the way they're made.

Don't worry that it can't accept a 1080P HD signal. Nobody broadcasts a 1080P signal and may not ever. HD DVDs are not even available yet. Will they be 1080P? Maybe and maybe not. They will definitely be 720P and 1080i because those are the only widely accepted HD formats today.

Just because a 1080P set will scale a 480i standard definition signal to 1080P doesn't mean the 480i signal will be HD. It won't. Only HD material recorded in one of the two HD formats (720P or 1080i) will be true HD.

If you are not watching a true HD program the signal will not fill the wide screen fully in a natural way. You can use features that stretch a standard def program to fit the screen if you want. Otherwise, there will be black bars on the sides of standard def programs.

ED/HD is free if you tune off-air broadcasts from your local network stations. To see what's in your location just enter your zip at this website. www.antennaweb.org Look or filter for digital stations. All you need is an old style UHF/VHF antenna and a set with an ATSC digital tuner. The 50xbr1 has the digital tuner. Cable will have ED/HD local networks. Sat will not, so, you need that antenna to get them if you go sat.

What is ED? Google it! Google anything you don't understand.

Hope this helps!

ronie
Unregistered guest
FYI, Thanks so much for you info. By the way, what is you opinion on the best rear proj. tv out today? I am looking at the sony and mitsubshi wd52628 models. What is you opinion of them?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us