Question on hooking up dvd to new tv

Username: Alm70

Post Number: 3
I just got a new TV and IOm trying to figure out the best way to hook-up a my cable box and DVD player. Starting with the cable box I have digital cable from a local company. Here is a link to the box
http://www.i3micro.com/templates/i3_ProductPage.aspx?id=262 For outputOs it has S-video, Composite Audio and Video, Coax, and Stereo audio out. The TV tons of inputs from HDMI right down to coax. My DVD player (panasonic E85H) has component, S-video, and composite audio and video, and coax.

Currently what I have is the cable box going to the TV by coax and the DVD going to the TV by component. I realize I should be coming off the cable box with the S-video, but that is where I got confused. At that point should I be going to the DVD or TV?

Some things I want to be able to do are...record to the DVD HD from a cable station. And it would be REAL nice if I could record a different show other then what IOm watching, but I think I know what the answer to that will be. Sorry for the long post..just trying to give you all the info. Thanks in advance.

Unregistered guest
Video from the cable box would be s-video as you said. Audio then will be red/white RCA's to the tv. DVD player component as you already have. Red/white RCA's to feed the audio from this source. If you had a home theater setup different audio cables would be used but you said just tv and dvd for now. For recording, normally you must use a splitter on the cable coax and run it to the recording device. Many recording devices will allow you to select a channel from which you wish to record. However, I'm pretty sure this method will only work if the recording device is kept separate from everything else (hence use of a splitter). Just an idea of how it can be accomplished. Hope that helped.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us