??'s for FYI Dallas

RyanR
Unregistered guest
I am deciding between Sammy DLP Hl-r5078w and Sony LCoS KDSR50XBR1. I will mainly be using it for VG's & HD cable. My main concern is delay between vid/aud. I will tryng my best to have all sources be sepearte audio & video in digi format. I've also been getting a bad vibe about the lamp life on DLP's. You've had a lot of good posts and some great info. Will you share your thoughts on these models and the issues I mentioned? Thanks for all your help.

Username: Ryanr

Post Number: 4
I am deciding between Sammy DLP Hl-r5078w and Sony LCoS KDSR50XBR1. I will mainly be using it for VG's & HD cable. My main concern is delay between vid/aud. I will tryng my best to have all sources be sepearte audio & video in digi format. I've also been getting a bad vibe about the lamp life on DLP's. You've had a lot of good posts and some great info. Will you share your thoughts on these models and the issues I mentioned? Thanks for all your help

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 541
Well...I'm a Samsung DLP owner two times over and a very satisfied one at that. The picture is spectacular for what I've invested. Yea, I've seen the lip/sync issue on rare occasions, but it doesn't really bother me. I'm running an H10 with component video straight to the set and optic audio to an Onkyo HT. I'm a die-hard 720P fan with a 50 incher and home theater is great at my house.

I'd love to tell you that you couldn't go wrong with either one, but the fact is that either one could go terribly wrong. The 5 year extended warranty is an absolute must with any choice.

The Sony is fantastic and very new on the scene. Such cutting edge stuff forces us to be the test bed at a ridiculous price. However, Smurf likes the XBR1 and he's a Samsung owner too. There isn't a bad post about them that I've seen. Nobody can tell you about the display longevity or the lamp life. It's just too new. If JVC's LCOS is any indication there may be a few light engine quirks here and there. I understand that both manufacturers are getting their core displays from the same source. There's something to be said about the 3 LCD display providing true 1080P vs. Samsung's implemented HP wobulation pixel doubler. I think the 3 LCD LCOS will render a sharper picture with true 1080P sources when they become available and affordable. The Faroudja DVP 1080 super scaler at $6995 would be a waste on a wobulated DLP display. The XBR1 would really pop such signals and blow you away with the detail.

The Samsung 1080P is a more affordable display that did win "Best in Show" at the 2005 Vegas CES. The advantages would be, of course, the tried and true Texas Instruments DMD chip for starters. It should be a 30+ year device. The color wheel is the improved air bearing frictionless, which hasn't produced a single negative post on any forum thus far. The Phillips lamp has the best track record of any UHP Mercury lamp in production. As long as the DMD control module holds up it's a hell of a display for the modest investment. I'd lean more toward the 6178 myself.

If I were in your shoes and I had or could find the extra cash, I'd go for the 60 XBR1. The 50 would be beautiful, but the 1080P resolution was made for larger screens. Bigger is better with more lines of resolution, especially if you're watching from 9 to 12+ feet back.

I suppose folks believing that I was some sort of T.I shill will be re-thinking the accusations after reading my XBR1 endorsement! Check the AVS forum if you haven't already. They have a thread dedicated to the set.

Post Number: 5
Thanks for all the info. Just like you said, I haven't been able to find anything bad about the XBR1 either; well with one exception. Very few people have mentioned a "green blob" that shows on the screen during startup. It fades after the set is warmed up and usually isn't noticable even up close.

As for the lypsync issue, do you play games on your Sammy? Are there motion blurs or artifacts (not due to resolution incompatibility) with games or DVD's? How about the infamous rainbow effect? I heard that the 3 chips in the 5078w helped to get rid of this effect. My last concern is with the black levels. How does your Sammy handle them? I don't think that LCoS has as big a problem as DLP does with the blacks. If you remember the thread when you and Tom Bong were arguing about contrast ratio, the XBR1 is saying it has a 10000:1 contrast. If I was hearing you right then the blacks should be more realistic, right? I am planning to test both of them before I buy by having the sales rep put on Pitch Black. If you haven't seen it, that movie is almost all black so I think it will be a good test.

I don't know about you being a TI fanboy but I do know that you have good info & opinions. I've never seen you biased toward one tech or the other. In the end everyone just wants the best of what they can afford. No matter what one person advises, people will still go make their own desecion. As far as price goes, I can get both of them for about the same price. Maybe about $200 difference between them. At a cool $2600, the difference really is not an issue. With the warranties, do you know if they cover bulbs on the DLP's?

Thanks for all your help and advise.

Post Number: 7
Update... I just read one of the other posts about gen 7 Sammy... That is exciting!!! Do you think maybe I should wait for that for the 1080p inputs? I don't plan on getting a PS3 since I have a 360. The only thing that could come in the future, very distant future, is a new DVD player to support the 1080p. What I'm thinking though is that these 2 sets I mentioned are going to just enough for me with the upconvert of 1080i to 1080p. What do you think?

Post Number: 8
Update... I just read one of the other posts about gen 7 Sammy... That is exciting!!! Do you think maybe I should wait for the 1080p inputs? I don't plan on getting a PS3 since I have a 360. The only thing that could come in the future, very distant future, is a new DVD player to support the 1080p. What I'm thinking though is that these 2 sets I mentioned are going to do just enough for me with the upconvert of 1080i to 1080p. What do you think?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 545
After my response last night I checked out the links on Casey's thread.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/188717.html

This changes everything! The wait will be worth it for the tremendous innovations in the next generation Samsungs. I'm not a big gamer, but it appears that Sammy has done it right this time.

There are not 3 chips in the 78's. It's still a single wobulated chip with a color wheel. You might be confusing the 78 with the next generation 87's. I have never seen rainbows, but the new S87's and S79's will eliminate any possibility of a rainbow triplet with their 3 chip prism design. This was only available in high end front projection units costing 10's of thousands until now. The wobulating chip has been replaced with a true 1080P chip, which brings it up to par with XBR1 for accurate resolution of the best signals.

There are no blurs or motion artifact in DLP displays. The refresh rate and mirror switching is plenty fast to eliminate any possibility of that. I can't speak to LCOS in that regard. I just don't know. You might take your game box to the store and check that out for yourself. They will most likely let you.

My black levels are inky black. My viewing room is never so lit with ambient light that I have to overdrive the brightness or use Dynamic Mode. If black gets blacker on the 10,000 to 1 sets it would be lost on me. The XBR1 is the first to catch up with the standard of black level that DLP's can achieve naturally. Sony uses an active iris shutter type system to squelch the available light in milliseconds for dark scenes. If that circuit ever fails it won't be fun. While "Pitch Black" might be a good test, it will only be a great test in the viewing room at your house. I personally don't think the test is needed to make a purchasing decision.

I still like the XBR1 if you have the bucks. However, this new generation of Samsungs are doing for DLP what Sony's XBR1's did for Qualia LCOS. They are bringing the best display technology to RPTV and finally making it affordable.

Hats off and CHEERS to both makers for that!!!

Post Number: 10
I have read several posts about DLP's having motion blur. Some have been using games & others have been watching action movies. Could that be caused by resolutions of material & TV not matching?

I am thinking that I will be getting the XBR1 though. I'm not sure I can wait another 4 mos ;-)

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 550

If you see any blur in DLP it's content related and certainly not a display deficiency. It was simply filmed that way. That goes for lots of other conditions too!

I've only seen posts related to blur or tracer artifact in association with the slow refresh rates of LCD displays.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Thanks again for the info FYI. I'll let you know what I get & how it works.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us