Akai PT50DL14 - Anyone?

Username: Mrguinness

Post Number: 1
Yes, it is the "new"Costco model, but a google search of it brings up ONLY one guys personal opinion and no detailed info at all anywhere, even on Akai's website.

Does anyone know anything about it? It looks EXACTLY like the Samsung HLR5067W, and in the store the quality looks good. Can anyone offer any suggestions? At $1699 WITH STAND, it is CONSIDERABLY less expensive than they Sammy or Sony's. Thanks!

Thanks!

Username: Mrguinness

Post Number: 2
FWIW..

I bought it. For all intents and purposes it is an EXACT copy of the Samsung HL-R5067W, right down to the buttons, I/O ports, design of the ENTIRE front and back, and all menu's.

Basically, I bought a 5067 WITH the stand for $1699 + tax, and so far, it looks great! Looking forward to grabbing the $80 costco HDMI DVD player and seeing how that looks as well.

Anonymous

I bought one from Costco too. It works well.
My old Toshiba CRT RPTV has a convergancy problem only after 4 1/2 years. If Costco offer it , I will got extended warranty for the PT50DL14 just to play it safe.

Basically, PT50DL14 is a "little" cheaper version of HLR5067 with less features. One can get a 5067 on-line w/o stand for $1599 + shipping.

Differences:
1. No Virtual Surround Sound.
2. No VGA port & 1 pair less audio in port.
3. No D-Net (IEEE 1394)
4. No Anynet (Mini Jack)
5. No G-Link (Mini Jack)
6. No TV guide.
7. Less PIP combinations.
8. etc...

Unregistered guest
my research shows that samsung makes akai products i bought this tv at costco and it awesome. the features its missing dont' amount to anything useful for me. In my area i couldn't find a 50" samsung for under $2200 plus stand so 1699 with stand is a great price. I buy alot of stuff on-line but not ready to buy a big (size) item like this pluse the shipping like 250

Username: Jaskim

Post Number: 4
I bought one too and love it. on SD the picture is so-so but on high def this thing is UNBELIEVABLE. I had a panasonic lcd for double the price and that did not match this one in highdef.

CHeckking out jay leno is just breath taking

jaskim

Post Number: 5
the challenge for me is to find if there is an equivalent samsung lamp. THe original akai labeled lamp sells for $320. However the Samsung HL-R5067W uses a lamp that is only $199.

If anyone figures out if any other lamp is compatible, please let us know

jaskim

jbarron
Unregistered guest
i bought the akai from costco (PT50DL14) with stand and the label on the right side of the TV says the replacement lamp code is BP96-01073A
which is the same as Samsungs.

Post Number: 9
Jbarron

That is interesting. I dont understand how the same tv can use different lamps??

jasguild

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Jbarron

Out of curiosity can you see the build date on your tv?? also look on the box and see the exact model number. There is a three letter extension thhat comes after the PT50DL14. It is on a white sticker on the box

Thanks

jaskim

Unregistered guest
hey guys, I just bought this TV as well. so far it seems too good to be true. but I cant find any information on this TV on Akai's website, or anyother website for that matter, anyone know whats up with that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
afajajkbakbaa

Look up the Samsung HLR5067W. With very few exception it is the same tv.

jaskim

jbarron
Unregistered guest
The date of manufacture is Nov. 2005. On the white sticker on the box it says PT50DL14STD. Underneath that is a SKU #, and above the model # is a barcode. I think the lamps for the Samsung and this AKAI are identical, maybe it is simply a marketing effort to try to get people who bought the AKAI models to spend more on the lamps, even when the cheaper Samsung lamp is identical, just with a different model #. I had a regular projection TV (SONY) before I bought this one, I used to open the back to clean the 3 glass lenses every 6 months or so with glass cleaner to improve the picture color. Is that necessary with these DLP's too? There appears to be the same lenses (one for red, green, and blue) inside the AKAI as well. Any suggestions?

jbarron
Unregistered guest
Follow up: I looked at the sticker on the back of the TV and it says the model # is PT50DL14X/SMS. Any idea why this would be different from the model # printed on the white sticker on the box?
It also says the TV is Made in Mexico. Very happy with picture quality so far!

jbarron
Unregistered guest
Follow up # 2: I took the circular piece of plastic off the side of the TV and discovered there is only one glass lens inside, not 3. Sorry for the error in my previous post...guess I need to learn more about DLP technology vs. regular projection TV! It appears there are no vents or openings through which dust could cloud this one lens, so hopefully one would not have to clean it unlike my Sony. =)

Unregistered guest
hello,
i purchased the pt50dl14 from costco. does it have a built in hd tuner or do I need set top box?
thanks,
Leonard

Username: Cdsrick

Coon Rapids, MN

I also bought the Akai PT50DL14 from Costco. The picture is incredible. It does have a built in HD tuner.
I would like to have a spare lamp on hand. The lamp listed on mine is BP96-01394A(0120W). Is this the same lamp as BP96-01073A? Also I am having a hard time finding information on either of these lamps...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
JBarron
I was about to post the manufacture date and exact model on mine but I couldnt find the manufacture date.

Please let me know where that is located.

thansk

jaskim

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Leonardgardnerville and RickM

Please look at the right side of your tv and tell us what is the exact model number that is listed. It will be PT50DL14/xxx or something like that. Also post the build date.

We are trying to get to the bottom of this lamp issue too. Samsungparts have BP96-01394A(0120W) for over $300 but the BP96-01073A for only $199

As Jbarron pointed out, his uses the latter where as yours and mine use the former (unfortunately).

One thing I did find out is that the BP96-01394A(0120W)is a new lamp so maybe the price will fall.

jaskim

JBarron
Unregistered guest
manufacture date is on a sticker at the back of the TV to the
right of where the lamp goes.
This sticker also lists the serial # of the tv.
thanks

Su
Unregistered guest
We are having problems setting up the PIP. Using Comcast Motorola box. Any suggestions?

Coon Rapids, MN

Post Number: 3
Mine has PT50DL14X/SMS as the full model code. Lamp code is BP96-01394A(0120W). The box it came in had PT50DL14STD listed on it. Still trying to find out what lamps will work in it. Sent an e-mail to Akai... no response yet.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Rick M

What is your build date?? I am on the road which is why I have not posted the specs off my one yet. Will do so this weekend

jaskim

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Ok I finally checked. Mine is also PT50DL14/SMS and my build date is October 05. My lamp code is BP96-01394A(0120W) and it is made in Mexico.

FYI, what do you make of this? Same exact model different lamps.

jaskim

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Well Jbarron

The good news for you is that you got the Akai version of this model that requires the cheaper lamp. The lamp for yours seems to be only $199 where as for the rest of us it is over $300.

The only question is how reliable the Phillips lamps (yours) are compared to the Osrams (ours)

IN addition, availability for yours seems to be better. PRobably because it is also used in the Samsung equivalents. Lets just hope that the price of ours decrease and availability increase for ours over time. :-(

If you guys find out anything else about the swappability (is this a word??) of these lamps or anything else please let us know.

jaskim

gvsus
Unregistered guest
Hi,
I am going to buy this TV in Costco, anyone suggest of buying extended warranty?

What about the Costco return/replace policy? How long does that cover?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
PROMISING NEWS!!!

I found a supplier out of China that is selling Osram lamps with out the housing for $99 on ebay. I wrote him asking him about the lamp needed for this Akai tv.

Go to ebay and look at auction #5860475080 or look for seller by the name of watyylxx

It is noteworthy that OSRAM lamps are made in China and Belgium so it is not surprising that someone has them to sell from china.

If you look at his sales records, he has sold 20 of these and have 20 happy customers so far.

Boy am I good!!!

jaskim

Username: Tonystewart

Yes, we are also interested if we should get the extended warranty from Costco.
This tv is on sale at Costco right now, but this is the first time we have seen it in the store. Does anyone know if this price lasts a while or is it due to go up. We didn't see any info at our store.
Also we haven't bought a television in years and are wondering why or if we should be concerned with this extra lamp. Do they go out often?
Reading your posts have cinched the deal for us as we were also looking at the Samsung.

gvsus
Unregistered guest
tony,
I just purchased this TV at costco today, its 1799-100 Instant rebate and 1/31/06 is the last day for this Instant rebate.

Costco does not sell any extended warranty, they told me if you are not satisfied with your TV you can return it anytime. They have seen people return TVs after 4-5 years too. Just keep all the papers and boxes.

Just Rick
Unregistered guest
Has anyone tried this model with a Media Center PC? I'm concerned about overscan issues from the DVI connection.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Just Rick

I have mine hooked up to a Geforce fx5200. via dvi with an hdmi converter.

the geforce driver allows for overscan adjustments which is great.

The only problem is that the Geforce driver, does not have H and V position adjustment for digital monitors and neither does the tv.

As such on mine I was not able to get it to fit PERFECTLY. However it is only off by about a .25 of an inch which I think is negligible.

I had a panasonic before this that allowed for h and v adjustment in the settings. Unfortunately this tv does not have this.

However as far as overscan issues, GEforce solves that problem. I am not sure about Ati's driver.

jaskim

Su
Unregistered guest
Is there no prince on this board, unobsessed by lamps, who can help this damsel-in-distress with hooking up PIP?????

tomnich
Unregistered guest
I just bought this TV yesterday. I am now having problems though. I turn it on, the picture displays for about 5 seconds and then the standby light and the lamp light (located on the front power circle) both blink at the same time and the picture shuts down. It has done this now about a dozen times and has not worked properly since. The quick guide says that this indicates that the lamp cover at the rear of the set is not properly shut. It ran great last night for over 2 hours straight and the picture looked great. Gonna call tech support this afternoon. Another question. Is HD quality input only available through the HDMI?

Thanks,
Tom

Username: Steve_in_md

Su
Your tv has 2 digital tuners. If you're getting a digital signal (cable or air) then there really isn't anything to "hook up" - just try using the PIP on your remote. The PIP is NOT available for analog signals.

For others:
I have my (Comcast) DVR connected with component vid cbls as my HDMI is running from an "upconverting dvd" (Toshiba) I bought with the tv (Costco). For those of you planning on buying an upconverting dvd - if you already have a good progressive scan dvd player then save your money - I can't tell a difference. I'll keep the Toshiba since my Sony dvd (progressive) is also an SACD player and with component video and a fiber optic connection to my Sony receiver to the SACD link allows me to use both units as a dvd player (dvds only) with 5.1 surround.

Overall I'm happy with the tv. Unfortunately about 85% or more of the programming available remains SD and as we all know an SD signal on a HD tv doesn't look that good but hopefully as time goes by more programming will be HD.

One other thing - a sales lady at Crutchfield suggested that for projection tv's you use an uninterruptible power supply (UPS)/line conditioner/surge protector (Triplite at Costco $99) to allow the bulb fan to continue running and cool the bulb in the event of a power outage otherwise.......new bulb. Speaking of a new bulb the following link takes you to a site (NY) where the bulb for this model is available for $247. They have a 30 day return policy so if you buy it as a spare, stash it and 6 months later need and install it only to find out it doesn't work - well according to them (and I specifically asked) - too bad, after 30 days you can't return it.

http://www.partstore.com/PartNumberSearchResults.aspx?PartNumber=BP96-01394A

Of course if you bought at Costco then just return the whole damn tv (with the dead bulb) and buy a newer, bigger and better model!!

For those of you wondering about an extended warranty at Costco -- stop wondering; just do like I did and tape your receipt to the bottom of the stand and if you have a problem later just load it up and return it (WITH ALL THE PARTS THAT CAME WITH IT, MANUALS, STAND, REMOTE, etc., the box is preferred but not required).

Su
Unregistered guest
Well, Steve, thanks for the reply. I have tried the PIP button over an over again. Keeps saying not available in the external input. We have a HDMI cable hooked to a comcast dvr. Also cable in on Ant 1, plus the five-finger cables into Component 1, still No PIP>

gvsus
Unregistered guest
I am wondering the same about PIP, how can you get this to work?

Another question, Why does my HD channels come as Wide screen format(with black on top and bottom)?
If I try to Zoom using the TV remote, the regular channels are cut off at the bottom.

Any help or knowledge sharing on this TV will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jay James
Unregistered guest
how bad is an analog signal on the tv (compared to a regular 4/3 tv)?

Username: Gvsus

Its not that bad, but when you have HDTV and expect great picture, it looks real bad.

Normal TV is fine, just those low light and high action screens look below par.

I have Comcast Cable, all digital channels above 100 are good, most of my analog channels are also available on digital except for 2-3 channels.

Jay James
Unregistered guest
It's been stated that this is the same as the samsung HL-R5067W (almost same). Does it have the DNIe technology? Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Jay James

Yes it does have DNIe technology but it is called DCE instead in the menu.

jaskim

Jay James
Unregistered guest
I'm really thinking about getting this. The only problem is the size. I've been using a Mitsubishs 50in 4:3 aspect ratio. Will a 50in 16:9 aspect ratio be ok or should move up. Any other reason I shouldn't get one. As you know there's not a lot of info out there on this model.
Thanks

Jay James
Unregistered guest
I'm also concerned about video lag. Not sure what it is. Some people have complained of this. If I'm using a cable card or just the tv's tuner, will this be a problem?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
I have mine hooked up to my receiver and have not seen any video lag. Also there are not much info out there about this tv but you can research the samsung HLR 5067W. With the exception of a few connectors, it is the same tv.

jaskim

Anonymous

With this model PIP works only if the main picture is a digital source and the inset is analog.... Works for me only if I'm watching an HD TV channel in the main window (haven't been able to try HDMI as another digital source; and just thought about trying an SD TV channel). Inset source can be just about anything else (analog TV channel, AV ins, etc.).

Hope this is helpful.

Another tip... with my basic Comcast analog cable service, I am able to tune in basic SD and HD channels (major networks - PBS, FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS) using the built-in tuner just fine -- no need for digital cable service if this is most of what you watch. Saves me $10 (plus equipment rental) per month!

seva
Unregistered guest
http://www.akaiusa.com/products_detail_features.aspx?cat=VISUAL%20ENTERTAINMENT& subcat=DLP%20TV/Monitor&productno=PT50DL14

There is all the info on the television from Akai USA, now I wish there were more user feedback on the web about it. I'm going to check it out at Costco this week as I got a tip that it looks great and the price sounds unbeatable

Anonymous

Has anyone compared this with the 50" DLP RCA Scenium model that's supposed to go for $1499 with passport coupon at Costco later this month?

dave_in_boston
Unregistered guest
i just bought one at costco - missed the 100 off so paid 1799 (in boston) and also bot the trip surge thing for another 100 (much cheaper for that thing at costco)...

so far this tv is amazing, comes on quickly, regular tv looks good - the pic size is easy to change, so without hd cable it's solid, though grainy when huge...however, got rcn's hd box coming shortly so i suspect only improved pictures.

i've got a home theater with progressive scan and the dvd quality is stunning even without those fancy component cables (might pick up some later)

...but the killer: i've been playing xbox360 high def games on this with my boys and they are in absolute awe - some of the games have a 1080i option (call of duty for example) and it is really amazing to see - games fit perfectly into 50 inches, super hi res and zero distortion.

i think the builtin sound is excellent, though i watch movies with the home theater and will likely switch games to run through that.

as far as price goes, it seems cheaper in the end because without an extended warranty (pure profit for circuit city et al), costco's liberal return policy will allow for me to take this back within the next circa 3 years if anything goes wrong, and it's light and easy to move...btw, that 1800 included the stand...

the color modes are great (movie mode dims colors and dynamic is super bright, which is perfect for games)...zero problems so far - and i brought it home on it's side, over some bumpy roads and everything...anxious to see how the hd cable channels look because the whites and blacks on this set are stunning, really seems better than many of the higher end sets (i was also looking at a sony 50inch lcd wega for 2400 but chose this initially based on price, then after a few weeks, based on quality after seeing them playing the same movie literally side by side)

imho, best bang for the buck, has all the requisite component and hdmi input options, cable card ready, features etc...and it is really huge in my living room, truly immersive...plus did i mention how amazin the 360 games are on this thing?!

Redd
Unregistered guest
I purchased this set about 3 weeks ago. The first set I bought had a couple of quarter sized dark spots on the screen. I loaded it back in the box, made a trip to Costco, they returned my money without a hassle. I then went back through the store and bought the same exact set.

I am very pleased at this point, although I do wonder (just like gvsus) why some HD channels have the bars at the top.

HD channels are great, SD is Ok. There are a lot of different modes you can use to adjust your picture.

The only thing I can see wrong is that my picture seems to be a little dark. I called Akai service and I am currently working with them, to try and get it adjusted. Akai service offered to send some one out if I cannot get it adjusted correctly. I will keep you posted on that issue.

Friends of mine have bought sets that cost hundreds of dollars more. In my opinion the picture on this set is as good if not better. Lets hope the quality is as good.

Forced to Buy ...
Unregistered guest
I stumbled upon this thread while doing some internet research after seeing the tv in Costco yesterday. I found it interesting that Samsung makes AKAI products (who knew?) and while I've not been a real fan of either companies products before, I AM interested in this tv. For the money & size, it seemed to blow away every other tv near it ... what are the drawbacks here?

(BTW - brand new to the flatscreen plasma/projection/LCD thing, and am afraid of getting screwed/screwing myself. The last time I bought a tv it was a Toshiba 36" tube (that still kicks butt) almost 10 years ago. As you can see, I'm not one to need the latest/greatest electronics on the block, and could care less who I impress. I just want a nice tv with a nice surround sound system/stereo. (Incidentally, is that other Costco item, the Sony STR-K9900P decent?)
A basement remodel w/media room job is complete and now everyone in the house is screaming for a HUGE tv and home theater set-up ...

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Coon Rapids, MN

Back to the lamp issue, my last post on this issue! Samsung parts now lists both Lamps BP96-01394A and BP96-01073A at the same Price: $261.54.

Well since my last post I've gotten around to trying the PIP again and now I'm not getting it to work either. (Initially I had Comcast install the cable card and it was working fine - it's just that the cable card decided to stop working about a half hour AFTER the tech left). The next day a different tech visited and suggested I forget the card and go with the HD dvr. Now I can use the dvr PIP but not the tv's - go figure.

Also I can't get 5.1 digital sound through my receiver with an HD broadcast. I've tried various connections, HDMI w/the 5 finger component video (and w/o), optical from tv to receiver, optical dvr to receiver - all to no avail. I get 5.1 when watching dvd's.

So I get a great HD picture but only Pro Logic sound which I guess is OK considering I'll still most likely watch a lot of dvd's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
RickM.

That is a good catch. It seems they lowered the price on the Osram lamp and increased the price on the Phillips. So they are both the same price now. I wonder why they made some with the Phillips and some with Osram and I wonder which one is most reliable.

I cant wait for LED's. These lamps are ridiculous. BTW, Akai is slated as one of only two companies to introduce LEDs in the next month or two. The other company is Samsung. This again leads me to think that Samsung is just pushing their products to a different market segment under the name Akai.

jaskim

Anonymous

W.r.t. 5.1 sound not working... make sure Dolby Digital option is enabled via the Audio menu

Su
Unregistered guest
Steve,
Are you using a Comcast DVR for PIP?

Redd,
I was able to fix the HD channels having black bars on top and bottom.

I was using component video before then I switched to DVI/HDMI and with 720p or 1080i I get all the channels in full screen.

Redd
Unregistered guest
Thanks gvs
I am currently with WOW and their HD DVR box does not support HDMI at this time. I would switch services but I cannot beat thier bundled internet & cable deal.

I am still working with Akai on the darkness issue. Once again they offered to send out a tech. I may need to take them up on that offer if I cannot get this corrected soon.

Su, Yes I am using the Comcast DVR for PIP function. It works easy enough but seems to default to channel 900something when first activited.

I knew about the DD setting in the menu and unfortunately that feature is grayed out and again as noted above with each type of connection (HDMI, component, etc.) I cound not access that particular menu setting (I tried for about 2+ hours on Sunday). Again, I was able to access it earlier either before the cable card or with the card (I can't remember). The card supplies digital access and HD content but no access to the extra pay services and after a couple of years Comcast (and others supposedly) continue to have trouble keeping them working (per the tech) - again you can't use the "pay" services, yet with the box and/or dvr there don't seem to be too many problems and you can "buy" all you want - hmmm, coincidence you think?????????

Anyway, I suppose I'll have to disconnect the dvr and connect directly to the cable and see if the built in digital tuner will then allow access to the menu item (and maybe use the PIP). If so I'll set to DD and re-connect the box. I'll post the result later.

BTW the dvr is a nice product I just don't care for the extra remote. I know it and my others are multi-component capable but I've yet to succeed in making those things work to my complete satisfaction. I've read where some former Tivo users complain that the Comcast dvr is less capable but I never used Tivo.

Coon Rapids, MN

jas kim

FYI - E-mail from TechSupport [techsupport@akaiusa.com]reguarding the BP96-01394A(0120W)lamp.
"The lamps are rated at 8,000 hours. We don't have any specific on other lamps that may be compatible. Thank you for your inquiry."

Su
Unregistered guest
Steve,
What model DVR do you have? Ours is Motorola DCT-6412

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Thanks Rick

Now that the lamps are the same price as the ones we suspected may be alternative replacements, it doesnt matter as much.

Let me know if you find anything else.

jaskim

Su,
Our Comcast dvr is Scientific Atlanta Exployer 8300HD. Per the tech it is a new model they have just started getting.

Redd
Unregistered guest
Follow up from previous post.

Seems my shadow box, and dark picture problems were due to my cable connection.
If you have WOW as you cable provider and have a Scientific Atlantic Explorer 8300 HD DVR you need to due the following.
Press Settings on your remote.
Scroll to set picture format
Press the right arrow button
Select upconvert 2
press A
Exit through setting button.
This should enable correct 16x9 HD format.
It worked for me.

I must say the picture is great in HD. It also has improved my SD picture as well
So far I am very happy with this set, as well as Akai tech support.

oleg from california
Unregistered guest
Hello everybody!
This forum has been useful for me (though I bought the AKAI even before finding this thread :-)). Thank you all.
Anyway. Question. I can see brightness change when I move horizontally. They say visible angle is 140 degrees. That seems to be true. But when I move to the side let's say 5 degrees I can see the picture changing in brightness. Not significantly, I'd say no more than 5%, but still it's visible. And if a move further (let's say 15% degrees to the side) the picture get a little brighter again. And also at certain (small) angel I see the screen to be uneven in brightness. Let me say that I test on the same still images, so this effect is not due to the picture. I tested in similar ways a dozen DLP models in stores. The effect seems to be present in all of them. Has anyone encountered this phenomenon? Am I being too much here? It looks like some optical thing. Any comment? I cannot say it's too bad, but it's kind of bugging me.
By the way the AKAI from Costco RULES! :-)
Best regards to you all.
Oleg.

oleg from california
Unregistered guest
Hello everybody!
This forum has been useful for me (though I bought the AKAI even before finding this thread :-)). Thank you all.
Anyway. Question. I can see brightness change when I move horizontally. They say visible angle is 140 degrees. That seems to be true. But when I move to the side let's say 5 degrees I can see the picture changing in brightness. Not significantly, I'd say no more than 5%, but still it's visible. And if a move further (let's say 15% degrees to the side) the picture get a little brighter again. And also at certain (small) angel I see the screen to be uneven in brightness. Let me say that I test on the same still images, so this effect is not due to the picture. I tested in similar ways a dozen DLP models in stores. The effect seems to be present in all of them. Has anyone encountered this phenomenon? Am I being too much here? It looks like some optical thing. Any comment? I cannot say it's too bad, but it's kind of bugging me.
By the way the AKAI from Costco RULES! :-)
Best regards to you all.
Oleg.

cookiemonster
Unregistered guest
Hello everyone!
I was just looking at the AKAI today and after reading all your messages I'm getting one for sure. 2 questions, does anybody have Direct TV service?, if so, how the tv works with the HD programing?

Thanks

Redd
Unregistered guest
Cookiemonster:

I do not have Direct TV but do have HD service through my cable company. Once I was able to get my cable connection configured correctly, the HD picture came in great. I am still not positive about the long term quality of this set but the features and the picture quality are very good.

I think this teamed with a stand and Costco's return policy, make this TV a very good buy.

I will post periodically to let others know how this set rates long term.

cookiemonster
Unregistered guest
Hello Redd!

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it, right now the TV is on backorder until 2/21 at the Costco close to my house, so I guess that I will have to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Again, thanks a lot!!!

Username: Xpldavid

Is there anyway to use the speakers in the PT50DL14 unit for a center speaker only??

Anonymous

Hi,

A couple of comments and questions. The pip combinations on this TV seems to be a bit ridiculous. Every other TV I had with pip, was not specific at all as to which inputs were pip'd or not. With that said, I am very satisfied with this TV.

Does anyone have any issues programming the remote for a Sony DVD player? I put in the codes, however, not all of the buttons work, and I still need to use the DVD remote.

thanks for the help

cookiemonster
Unregistered guest
Hello!

Can anyone tell me if playing video games on this tv is ok?

Thanks.

Anonymous

cookiemonster,

read the post from dave_in_boston Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 04:15 pm:

oleg from california
Unregistered guest
to cookiemonster:

even old XBOX (not 360) looks very good on this TV. i've been playing racing, shooters, strategies. very nice!

to anonymous:

yeah. pip kinda sucks. it only allows to use analog tuner as "in picture". and that tuner is bad with a regular antenna. so basically it's like there is no pip in this tv.

to all:

from my experience with this TV if you have a good component video DVD player there is no need for a HDMI upconverting one. the picture is as good as it gets with component input.

cookiemonster
Unregistered guest
To Anonymous and Oleg:

Thanks for the info it's really appreciated.
For those who are still looking to buy this TV from Costco, the price is $1799 with the stand, I went today and they are still waiting for the TV to arrive, they are also going to have a 50" RCA but I don't know the model, though after reading all this thread I'll buy the AKAI.

Again thanks to all!!!
I'll keep in contact.

E D
Unregistered guest
I bought the AKAI PT50DL14 (w/stand) from Costco for $1799. I am able to receive the local HD broadcasts (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, PBS) without an antenna. Is that normal? The HD picture is amazing. The colors are more vibrant than really life.
I'm new to the HD thing. I have analog cable and those channels do not have the greatest picture. For those channels, the picture is a little better running through my DVR. I'll probably need to upgrade my cable connection with better wires. Will the "monster cables" significantly improved the non-HD channels? Those wires are pretty expensive. I don't really want to upgrade my cable since I mostly watch network shows and don't want the added expense. So I just want to improve the analog cable channels. Any suggestions.

oleg from california
Unregistered guest
to cookiemonster:

don't buy RCA! i've seen it at local costco and read reviews. it is VERY bright. it's brighter than any other competitor on the market. BUT surprisingly it has bad contrast (despite high brightness). and colors... mmm... bad. but for me only the noise level is enough to dump this tv forever. it makes NOISE. a lot of it. try to get closer to the set. even in costco environment i was able to here it. imagine quite movie scenes at your home at night. bottom line is unless you going to use a tv in well lit and rather noisy environment RCA must stay in store.

cookiemonster
Unregistered guest
To Oleg:

Thanks for the advice. I made my mind, AKAI it is

Thanks

JEG123
Unregistered guest
I can't seem to find any retailer selling the BP96-01394A lamp on the web. I've seen earlier posts indicating people have found some info, but no specifics on who or where. Please help.

I bought the AKAI at Costco about a month ago and have been very pleased so far (except for the lack of PIP, which is not too big a deal for me).

Thanks.

Redd
Unregistered guest
Ed
If you do not want to spend the money to buy Monster Cables go to Wal Mart and buy the RCA Component Cables. I believe they were under $20.
Doing this improved my SD picture it should also improve your HD picture.

Anonymous

To "ED"
Don't bother with Monstar cables. They are no better than regular good quality cables. Over the air (OTA) analog TV is what it is. HD just shows it at its best. It was never great and now you can see it 5X larger than before.

JEG123
Here is the link I posted earlier for The Parts Store (in NY) that carries the replacment bulb. I notice that bulb is now listed at $277.40

http://www.partstore.com/PartNumberSearchResults.aspx?PartNumber=BP96-01394A

Their toll free # is 866 925 PART (7278)

Just keep in mind that these places like most others have a 30 day return policy and if you're planning on buying a spare bulb and storing it for later use then you won't be able to return it if necessary. Then again if the 2 bulbs are identical then I suppose they might not know the difference!

Username: Jmicaelk

SFUS

HI, have this TV from Costco and are planing to build a HTCP box for it. What is the best way to hook it up to the TV.
Also have problem with the PIC, can't seem to get it clear enough, not even in HD. Using Comcast and a HD/PVR box from Motorola.

Any inputs on this.

Micael

I am not sure about HTCP.

What kind of problem are you having with PIC? I use comcast HD DVR by Motorola too, it works fine for me. I used just the composite cable to connect and it worked fine too, now I am connected thru DVI-HDMI cable.
Only with DVI-HDMI cable you can have full screen HD channels without using Zoom function.

Username: Vitor78

To gvs
I just bought new Akai from Costco, and kind of disapointed, may be you can help me set it up correctly. I have a comcast digital cable with Motorola DCT6412. I connected the TV via composite input. Some of the HD channels are OK in 16:9 mode, some are letterboxed, and some are with vertical black stripes on the sides... PIP works only if I connect the coaxial to ANT1 input on HD and SD channels only.. were you able to get PIP working with DVI-HDMI cable? Is Closed Cap working with this cable? What kind of cable have you used?

Thank you!

I dont think PIP works with DVI-HDMI.

Didnt they give you a HDMI-DVI cable with the DCT6412? You need to use that to have HD channels comeup in proper mode(You will set the HDMI/DVI output to either 720p or 1080i in the cable box settings). Without the HDMI/DVI cable the setting is disabled.
You see the vertical black stripes on the sides of channel that are HD which are not broadcasting HD content. Most of the local HD channels(NBC,CBS,ABC) only telecast HD programs during prime time rest of the time they just telecast digital stuff.

Closed caption is another thing I hate in this TV, I was not able to get them when connected thru HDMI-DVI. I was able to turn them on in the cable box settings then they are on all the time, there is no option on the cable box remote to turn them on and off.

Username: Jmicaelk

SFUS

Hi, well the pic is like it has lots of shadows in it, and I don't know if this can be udjusted from the box or the TV, or if I just have to use HDMI instead of Component cables. But I do believe that I have the channels in full view all the time, no bars or anything like that even without HDMI cables. Anything other I can do, and any other inputs on HTPC for this, anyone using it with this TV.

Thanks Micael

Micael,
Forgive me my ignorance, but was is HTPC, how do you get it working on this TV?

gvs,
I will have to talk to comcast support, they gave me composite cables only, the irony is that I work for comcast :-)

Username: Oleg_tsa

FYI: guys, the AKAI price went down recently. i paid $1799 for my set, now it's $1699 after instant rebate. so i went to my local costco and got $100 back. i hope this might be usefull.

vito,
I went to comcast office today to exchange my DVR, for some reason there is a pause in sound once in a while.
The new Motorola DVR has HDMI instead of DVI output at the back, I got that so that I dont have to use seperate Audio cable for my HD.
They gave me the HDMI cable which has HDMI on both ends.(HDMI has video and audio together, DVI has video only)

I am still getting the sound pauses(breaks), but I will give a few minutes since the DVR is downloading the Guide and other stuff.

Username: Bmr

I just got the Akai from Costco. I have discovered that I do not need a cable card or a box to get HD. Comcast had told me that I would not be able to get any HD without the card or box and then proceeded to tell me that I wouldn't get the music channels or any HD station. I let the TV search for channels and all of a sudden I have over 200. Including all of the music on Comcast. I do not have HBO or Showtime or any of those. I do get On Demand previews, I don't know yet if I will get On Demand,(I have to search) but Comcast will be getting Generation 2 active cable cards soon and that will definitely enable, on demand.

Username: Brg606

Bruce, how do you like the picture? I am interested in this tv and plan to go to costco this weekend to check it out.

I think that the tv is great. The analog picture is fine, it just takes a few seconds for the set to warm up and the HD picture is excellent.

I have a question I hope someone can answer. When I press the info button, it says cable or DTV. when it states DTV (which I assume is digital) sometimes it says SD either English or Multi,(I assume means languages)which is full screen or HD which has thick lines on both sides. Does anyone know what they mean?? If HD is the only high definition, how do I get it full screen?
Thanks

Post Number: 6
BruceR,
HD channels will get thick lines on both sides when they are not transmitting HD signal. Read my post from above.

Like if you see Network channels during prime time, they have main program in HD but not the Ads, so they dont come up full screen.

Username: Redd

I have now had this Aakai TV for a few months and I must say it has been an excellent set so far. HD picture is Great, standard is fine. I have been checking the big box ads for comparable sets and have not seen any close to this price. Having the stand included, in my mind, makes this set a great buy. Especially if you can get the instant $100 Rebate at Costco.

Being new to the HD world there is a few things that I have discovered that might help some of you out.

Some HD channels will still tune in if you do not have a HD antenna or an HD enabled converter box. They just will not be in HD quality. They usually will come in a shadow box view. Also just because you have an HD channel tuned in does not mean that the program you are watching is broadcast in HD. I know that CSI and CSI New York are broadcast in HD if you want to run a test. The best way to tell if you are getting true HD is to see if you picture goes from full screen to shadow box during commercial

After talking to a few people I am discovering that most HD picture problems have to do with your cable or satellite connection. If you are having issues call them first. HDMI or component connections will bring you the best HD picture.

I paid under $30 for a set of component cables so you do not need to spend a lot of money in order to get great HD

Hope this helps.

Post Number: 7
I think HDMI would be better than component, even though I did not try component on this TV. Yesterday I saw a difference of HDMI vs component on other TV and it was very noticable.

comcast gave me the HDMI cable needed.

akai50" dlp owners, how's your reception for standard definition channels? i am thinking of buying this unit, but while researching samsung's hlr5067 (same thing from i've read), everyone is complaining about the sd picture. also there is a way to make the sd look much better by changing the index and gamma settings in the service menu, i assume it's the same as the service menu for this akai? thanks for your responses.

I think that the SD reception is great. I have no problem with this set at all. I have my DVD hooked up via HMDI and it is also very good. Buy it -- for $1699 you cannot beat it.

I agree with BruceR. I think the SD reception is very good. Better on digital channels than analog. I say with Costco's liberal return policy you go ahead and buy it. Wait to assemble the stand & try it out for a few days. The most you have to lose is a few hours of your time returning it.

Username: Klop01

$1,799.00 at Costco in San Diego (Poway) today.

Username: Reuben432

Just picked up the Akai 50 inch dlp at Costco in Sacramento for 1799. I love it!!! Amazing picture, and well worth getting the Toshiba Upconvert DVD Player for 80 bucks. I still don't understand why I would choose 720p or 10801 on the dvd player, is one setting better than others for specific DVD's??

Username: Jumbobody

Costco has this Akai 50 inch DLP now for $1599 with the stand, just got mine today.

Post Number: 8
How long does costco does the price match?

I contacted my local Costco today and they told me if it had been less than a couple of weeks, they would refund the difference. Bummer, I bought my set in January

Username: Cardaway

Hello. I found this forum via a Google search for this TV. Based on the good things I read here, and elsewhere, I purchased the TV on Sunday. Only $1599 at Costco!

I do have a question about the $80 Toshiba DVD player people have posted about? What model is this and what does "upconvert" mean? I didn't see a Toshiba model player for $80 at Costco on Sunday. They did have a model for much cheaper than that ($49 or so).

To Cardaway:
Up conversion means converting original DVD signal, which only has 480 horizontal lines to high definition formats with 720 or 1080 lines. Your AKAI does up conversion itself, so you don't need a new player if you already have a player that produces a decent picture. The other thing is HDMI connection. I've tested 3 different players with HDMI output and compared them against my Philips 642, which connected via component output. There is no difference with this TV (and I use good cables too). I have a calibration DVD and spent significant time fine-tuning players and the TV. I don't see any difference. May be there are sets out there that produce better picture with HDMI and players that do up convert better than AKAI, but this TV delivers everything most people will ever need.

To all:
Guys! I strongly recommend invest ~$20 in calibration DVD (there are several choices out there). If you already spent couple thou on a TV set spend $20 more to optimize your picture. It can make great difference! And don't forget about your signal source. Many players have picture controls. If they set up in a wrong way you won't be able to reach optimal performance from your TV. Inquire for more information if interested.

P.S. There are some issues with Philips 642 in progressive scan mode. If anyone is interested contact me.

To Redd:
I think you can return your set and buy a new one at the new price. I just returned my AKAI after using it for about 4 month (found a great local deal on Panasonic 56", which has same specs as AKAI but bigger and cheaper ($1299), no stand though). Had no issues returning the set. Took about 10 minutes. Didn't have to disassemble the stand.

Username: Jumbobody

Can anyone recommend what the best settings for this TV are? (i.e. contrast levels, etc.)

It looks pretty good right out of the box, but I heard that there are optimal settings for home use?

To Jumbo Body:
Read my previous post (Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 01:37 pm). Picture quality depends on signal source (DVD player, cable box, etc.), cables and TV itself. Unless one has equipment identical to yours it's hard to recommend exact settings. If you are not completely happy with your picture try to calibrate the TV. Professional calibration is way too expensive. You might want to start with purchasing a calibration DVD like "Digital Video Essentials: Optimize Your Home Entertainment System"

Oleg
I thought about doing that but I figured the time and effort it would take would not be worth the $100. Where did you find the Panasonic and what is the model number? Saving $400 plus a bigger set may be worth taking this one back.
Thanks Redd

I was able to set up the TV last night and now have a few questions about the screen.

1) There apears to be two circles near the top left of the screen that are only visible when there are dark images in that area. They appear to be on the back side of the screen.

2) In addition to the circles there are what looks like different colored streaks, once again, on the back side of the screen.

3) What do you guys clean the outside of the screen with? Since it's not glass I'm concerned about scratching the surface with whatever is used and what kind of cleaners should be used.

To Redd:
I bought the Panasonic at Fry's Electronics 5 days ago. But they were sold out in the closest to me stores (Sunnyvale, Palo Alto). I had to drive a little bit farther to Campbell and they had 2 left and the price was already $1499 (which is still low) but I had a rain check from the day before (the last day of promotion). I don't know what's going on right now. I've talked to a manager there and he told me that Panasonic decided to piss competitors off and cut the prices. Though other sets from the same model line were expensive: 52" - $1999, 61" - $3499. So this thing is only with 56" set. You can check with your local Fry's if there is any. For example they told me they had 11 set in Oregon.
Oh, yeah the model number is PT-56DLX25. Good luck. May there is still a chance to find a good deal on it. I've calibrated the set and it performs just great. I've got a feeling that this one a little bit better than AKAI, but with AKAI I did not calibrate the DVD player, which might be the reason of a slight difference I observe now.

To Cardaway:
On my screen I can see 2 rather dark spots about pixel size, which is most likely defect or the dust on TI chip itself. Also I found 3-4 much smaller black dots that must be dust on the backside of the screen. If a set was ever placed screen down the dust could stick to the screen (well that's what manufactures say). But anyway these spots and dust are not visible from viewing distance. In you case it seems that the screen or/and something in the light engine is defective or dirty. I would exchange the set if I were you.
For cleaning I would not recommend any cleaners. I have 2-year-old son and he makes the screen very dirty from time to time. To clean it up I just use micro fiber cloth and my breath :-). To avoid scratches blow away (or gently wipe out) all the dust that can probably be there before cleaning with cloth. Though the screen seems to be rather scratch resistant avoid applying too much pressure on it while cleaning. When something nasty is hanging there on the screen (like little pieces of food :-)) I use a little bit of water to get it off.

The the larger of the two circles I posted about is about 2 inches in diameter and the smaller is about 1 1/2 inches. My first thought was that it might just be a bright spot from the light source since it's not visible when the lamp in off. They kind of look like the lens flares you seen in movies when the camera points towards the sun.

The streaks I posted about also can't be seen when the lamp is off.

Post Number: 7
To Cardaway:
Yeah... That's not normal. I'd recommend exchanging the set. Though try may be to contact them first to see if they can exchange TV only. That way you'll not have to assemble stand again.
On the other side if these circles do not bother you when watching the video content you can leave things as they are now. It won't probably get any worse (but who knows).

To Oleg
Thanks for the info. There are not any Fry's in Michigan. I am not sure if I want to make a trip to Indiana. I am going to try and search other stores here for that specific model.

To Cardaway
I had the same problem with my set (see previous post date Feb 06) so I returned it.
Redd

Username: Goto

I just bought this tv and for most part I am happy with it. As of today I am using my old dish network reciver. I see an issue with the picture in the 16:9 mode. I see flickering right along the top row of pixels in the 16:9 mode. but when I swtich to the zoom mode I don't see it any more. I am wondering if this is a problem with the tv or just that I don't have the right source

Redd, your issue sounds different than mine. The circles are larger and they are lighter in color than the surrounding area.

oleg, thank you for letting us know about that helluva deal on that 56" panny dlp. i called the local fry's around here and only one store had one left. i went there last night and bought this 56" non wobulated dmd beauty for $1,499. thanks again and sorry for posting this on the akai dlp board.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
A question about HD TV signals.

Like others on this thread I have standard Comcast cable and have discovered that I can pick up the HD versions of the local channels, the digital music channels, and what appears to be repeats of other cable channels (TBS and the like) but in a different place with a higher channel number.

Questions.

1. I saw a post that these HD channels are not true HD without a cable box. Is that true? Sure looks like HD, with widescreen picture and 5.1 sound.

2. What are these other repeat cable channels? They are not HD and seem to have the same programming as the standard cable signal, yet they are repeated with a much higher channel number.

Username: Saiashok

Hi ,

I bought this TV from Costco. But I am not sure it is really good one or not. Can anyone please share if you find any problem?

Thank you
Sai

Sai
I have had my TV for about 6 months now and have not yet had any problems with it. Time will only tell how good of a set it is. So far It has been very reliable and I think the picture in HD is excellent. Just make sure that you have your cable or satellite configured correctly.
Redd

Thank you Redd For your reply.

Sai

Username: Smackdaddy

Greetings All: To the above posts regarding RCA - made the mistake of purchasing two CRT models - junk junk junk - stay away!
I too purchased the PT50DL and I'm amazed at the performance on SDTV and DVD (progressive scan using component jack) pic quality. However, like the earlier posts, my analog channels look like buzzard bait.

My 2-cents as for the post(s) regarding the viewing of standard analog channels: my cable company is Adelphia and I have only the basic package ($39.00/mo..for advertised TV - grumble grumble) and they are sending me a cable card for $1.75 extra a month which they say will ensure HDTV reception of channels who broadcast in the basic package: Discovery / Fox / some local etc...

You might want to inquire with your cable co. I will re-post to tell you if the card makes an improvement or not.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sai

Ok....the cable dude came by and installed the PCMCIA card which takes the place of a cable box. If on a limited budget, this could provide some value to your basic cable package.

Here is what I get for $1.75/month:
Channels 2 - 17 - which are my local - all switched now to SD - an improvement.
Channels 100-150 - I now get an added assortment of some more SD channels like: Hallmark, Discovery, Lifestyle, etc...
Channels 400-446 - I now get all the music channels....niiiccceeee!
900-914 Channels: CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, KCET (public channel) all in HD...worth the $1.75.

Downside: most if not all the free movie channels like: turner, TNT, USA, etc...are all still in analog.

However, I was also told that in about a month, for $9.95 a month, Adelphia will be adding 10 more channels.

Ok....the cable dude came by and installed the PCMCIA card which takes the place of a cable box. If on a limited budget, this could provide some value to your basic cable package.

Here is what I get for $1.75/month:
Channels 2 - 17 - which are my local - all switched now to SD - an improvement.
Channels 100-150 - I now get an added assortment of some more SD channels like: Hallmark, Discovery, Lifestyle, etc...
Channels 400-446 - I now get all the music channels....niiiccceeee!
900-914 Channels: CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, KCET (public channel) all in HD...worth the $1.75.

Downside: most if not all the free movie channels like: Turner, TNT, USA, etc...are all still in analog. Also - you can't use this configuration for pay-per-view either.

However, I was also told that in about a month, for $9.95 a month, Adelphia will be adding 10 more HD channels.

For peeps that have a Playstation2:

Just picked up a set of component cables from Bestbuy - $29.95.

Hooked up the HD cables - the picture is unbelievably pristine. Had to break out all my favorite games - especially Madden 06 and play - was up till 3:00am in the morning.

Also - make sure you switch the video config. in the PS2 setup before connecting the cables, otherwise, you won't get any picture. So before attempting to install cables....make sure you config the PS2 for YPbPr first.

There is a configuration you must setup when the PS2 is first turned on - go to setup config and look for video setting - change from RGB to YPbPr.

You can also purchase a more expensive (gold plated) set for $59.99 if you have money to burn.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us