DVD upgrade path???

Username: Duckhunter

Post Number: 1
The old dvd player just does not cut it anymore (el cheapo brand, non-progressive scan, RCA composite inputs) with our new HDTV.

I'm torn between the possible upgrade paths. On the one hand, I could purchase a top of the line DVD recorder/VCR combo with HD up conversion (Samsung 325). Comes equipped with an HDMI cable to connect the HDTV and combo unit. Easy to transfer old VHS tapes to DVD's with one button recording. Allows analog recording to DVD's from our cable DVR. Supposedly the HD up conversion results in higher picture quality when playing both DVD's and VHS tapes. Most reviews of this unit have been very positive.

Questions:

Is there really an advantage to using HDMI cable over component connections?

Is the HD up-conversion a marketing ploy or is it for real?

Most of our VHS tapes are old (newest one is like 4 yrs old). Was copyright protection in place back then (ie, will I be able to back them up on a DVD)?

Simply purchasing a DVD recorder is somewhat lower priced option. It would provide a very good picture from DVD's and again allow analog recording of saved programs to the cable DVR.

Any suggestions on a good DVD recorder? I doubt that I would burn more than 12 DVD's a year. IMO, there are few TV shows or movies that are worthy of multiple views.

Thanks!

Rick

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2076
You can't copy anything copy protected with a combo. Copy protection has been on most VHS tapes since the mid 80s. Nothing Samtrash is top of the line, poor quality junk is more like it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us