Archive through December 10, 2005

Username: Likegrouch

Post Number: 1
Use this thread to report problems with the extremely short bulb life for JVC D-ILA TVs.
I will copy and paste problems I scour in other threads for people who posted in various other threads

Post Number: 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I bought a JVC HD-52Z585 in June 05 and have the same problem as "grouch" above - the lamp died today.
My usage has been normal and no sudden power turn offs etc. The TV is not even used 4 hours a day and the lamp is dead.
Anyone else have this problem ?

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 09:59 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
likegrouch,

There appear to be a rash of lamp failures. The "rumor" is that there is a bad batch of lamps on the market. JVC will replace your lamp under warranty so call them to replace.

I have had a JVC DILA for a little over one year and have not lost a lamp yet. We have our TV on a minimum of 4 hours a day and I would say it averages more like 5 hours per day.

likegrouch
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 11:49 am:

Called JVC - they will FedEx a lamp to me - no technician to the house or anything. I sincerely hope it is a bad lamp and not a bad TV that "eats" lamps, becuase the next time around I will be at or over my warranty period. The rep told me (not surprisingly) that it was not a known problem - seems known enough to me from these posts.

WeAreNotAlone69
Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 239
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 01:28 pm:

Just so all these posts may be of "help" in getting mfg's to make better products... and more importantly maybe get them to EXTEND the lamp (and light engine) warranty beyond the "official" 1 year warranty...

How about EVERYONE that posts lamp burnout /or light engine problems post the:

Model
Mfg date
Serial number
Amount of run time on set /lamp (or "lamps")
How set is used each day.
If set is plugged into a UPS.

PLEASE NOTE the model number of the LAMP, and ANY markings on it /or box it came in such as batch number.

Please also note if the ballast was replaced, as that may be the cause of short lamp life instead of the lamp itself. If you've had the ballast replaced post the part number of the OLD and NEW ballast.

And finally post what you as a consumer expect so far as "lifespan".

To me having part (lamp in this case) rated at 6,000 hours for example, means 6,000 hours... that mfg's should provide replacements of that part -even if the set is beyond the 1 year warranty.

40 hours a week, x50 weeks =2,000 hours.
6,000 hours to me means 3 years at least... as most people aren't going to watch TV 8 hours a day.

likegrouch
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 02:20 pm:

Wearenotalone69 - Right on - I also expect the lamp to be warrantied for at least 6000 hours - they said it when I bought it - stand by it, else they are hollow and misleading words.
I will post the details asked once I collect them.

likegrouch
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 08:19 am:

Well, 24 hours after the picture dimmed, the lamp blew out with a soft pop noise - no TV for me now !
JVC will FedEx the bulb next week by god knows which method - means a week without TV for me at least.
I am really surprised by the sudden end of this lamp - one day it works great, next day picture is very dim and next day lamp is out !
Here are my details
JVC HD-52Z585
Mfg Date - January 2005
Serial num - 06083187 AA
Used - 4-5 hours every day since 6/15/2005
Lamp dead - 11/11/2005
Lamp life less approx 700 hours
Connected to a surge protector no UPS (only power outage we had was once when the TV was forcibly shutdown)
Will post lamp details when I get the new one.

Can I get more information on the "ballast" problem - how can I find out if that is the issue and not just a bad lamp?

WeAreNotAlone69
Silver Member

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 01:25 am:

likegrouch,

Thank you for posting in the above format. I would encourage everyone that reports "problems" to post such info.... So everyone on the Internet, JVC can see how end users are being affected ..AND HOW THE MANUFACTURER HANDLES "PROBLEMS". If say for example over the next year 1,000 people post saying they've went thru 3 lamps in a year, it would be hard for JVC, The mfg of the parts to deny there was a "problem".

What I mean is IF, we owners had to at some point file a class action suit for example if would be mighty "hard" for JVC to deny responsibility. Having the info in the above format would also help in case you had to go to small claims court? OR were fighting your local repair shop about getting your light engine replaced, etc.

likegrouch.. on the ballast... If the ballast was out of spec that would affect lamp life. Make sure to check to see if the fans are working as they should also. If you end up having a "tech" come out, try to see if you can befriend the "tech" BEFORE he comes out, see if you can sweet talk him into providing you (and us) with a copy of the training documentation, and TSB's so wee can better understand these sets, and better understand how to make these sets look there best, to make them last as long as possible thereby INCREASING SALES of JVC sets.

What I mean is a "happy" customer.. is the best salesman :-) Big deal if the training doc's get out....Most people aren't going to do anything with it anyways... but those that do get the info, and tweak their sets, and keep them running for years to come will be walking and talking billboards for JVC, will be a lifelong customer.

Sort of like having two companies making cars:

Company A: Proves training doc's, service info freely.... Techs can share info, discuss possible fixes. End result is you see lots of these cars 10 -20-30-40 years+ old on the road. Multiple purchases in the same family, the owners of such cars recommend them to everyone they meet.

Company B: Restricts info,, Service info hard to get, Techs do not share info, discuss possible fixes...... End result once cars get out of warranty people drop them like hot potatoes and they get a reputation as such... Techs don't like working on them, Expensive to fix..... This translates in very few being on the road after a few years. People junk them. Do not recommend them, nor purchase another.

Which car would you rather buy?

likegrouch
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 01:44 pm:

I agree - anyone that has had lamp problems please respond to this post with your information.
I am not getting a tech come over, instead they are fedExng a lamp to me which I have to install myself. I will also not be able to find out if it is the ballast or the lamp either !!
Seems like a great and convenient way for JVC to take me to the edge of the warranty period and then claiming the period is over and that they cannot do anything for a problem they knew all along !! - way to go

ken wells
Username: Kid89

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 07:15 pm:

I think JVC will resolve this problem, they have too much to lose....I'm looking forward to having a nice-new-state of the art JVC HD tv (with all the bugs worked out). I feel like I'M testing this tv(52z585)for jvc and not getting paid....yet!

dotcombust
Username: Dotcombust

Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 01:52 am:

Excellent point Wearenotalone with regards to a class action if it came to that

dotcombust
Username: Dotcombust

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 02:05 am:

also- was my post deleted here? it was under my prior username Jacob_d ... I'm the one who left a post regarding my light engine giving me problems

JVC HD-52Z585
serial #0808600x AA
March 2005 build
purchased from Ubid in March 2005
3-5 hrs per day 5 days/wk - under 1000 hrs
Problems began weekend of Nov 5th 2005
Set plugged into Monster Power Center HT700 surge

JVC is sending the repair shop a new light engine and they said they'll replace it when it arives.. My purchase invoice, serial# and date of manufacture was requested. They also gave me an update that they could replace the engine in house and wouldnt have to take it into shop after all. So I'll probably call them this week since they said the light engines are 2 weeks back ordered and they're waiting on 2 other customers.

Thanks Lynch and Wearenotalone!

globo
Bronze Member
Username: Glo_bo

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 12:04 am:

Mr Lynch,

As you seem to be the person to ask in this forum or if anyone else has insight. I have posted serveral questions regarding lamp life, thank you tvshopper for the reply saying it is not normal for the lamp to go our after 3 months.

I am on my 3rd lamp in 9 months. I have read this thread for over a year and it was instrumental in me choosing this set. But I am starting to be amazed there are no more reports on this because I am seeing it on other forums.

Maybe this is unique to certain sets I dont know I really like this set but it is really getting to me. I did not want to spend that kind of money for blown lamp every 3 months.

All I would like to know if anyone has insight on this, or is it just expected that everyone is stockpiling lamps and buying extended warranties.

When I try to talk to jvc they just say its the lamp and we will send you a new one. The next time tech came out and said yeah, they have bad lamps and dont know the problem.

This forum is the best and the place to go for info on this set.

I just want to know if anyone else is experinencing this.

Getting ready to take on JVC. If I find out anything I will post for the loyal contributers to this forum.

globo
Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 04:41 pm:

All, Regarding lamp blowouts.

I am on the phone with JVC as I am writing this. The customer care rep says that there is a known problem with the lamps.

If you check the AVS forums many people are having this problem.

JVC is telling me that because of this problem they will ship us new lamps regarless of the warranty.

They say it is the lamps and not the set. and that they will keep sending lamps until you get a good one even if your warranty is expired.

sheesh

RE: Lamps and warranty, I did asked if I could get it in writing that they would ship past warranty. Rep came back after awhile and said they dont do that.

Starting to sound fishy. I am going go higher up on my next call.

will let all know

ken wells
Username: Kid89

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 07:10 pm:

I've had my z585 for about 5 months, the bulb was replaced two days ago. The tech said he "truly" felt that it was a bulb issue and not a tv issue because of the mfd-01/05 and serial#06083227...I am very interested in learning/obtaining information in regards to the service menu/manual. I would love to try to make the awesome picture even more awesome. any one with tips addvice ect. please feel free to let me know....I'm considering the jvc 5 year 500$ extended warranty..I think I will buy a bulb to keep as a stash bulb so I will have minimal down time...

Chris G.
Bronze Member
Username: Motliek

IN
USA

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 07:44 pm:

Good Eve all,
Well my 2nd bulb in 10 months let go this morning. JVC will of course replace though they now have them on back order. Might get it Monday? Have a lovely Black/Silver paper weight at the moment. Any suggestions on how to decorate it?
Later

boilersw326
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 10:26 am:

I bought a HD52BP6 (Best Buy only model?) in the middle of August. Two days ago the picture dimmed significantly on all inputs and then yesterday the bulb sounded like it exploded and now nothing. Is it normal for a bulb to last less than 3 months? I have a warranty through Best Buy that covers replacement of the bulb but I have to wait a week for them to come out. Does JVC's warranty cover the bulb and if so would they be quicker?

Post Number: 4
For more information look at these links
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/69211.html

AND

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/160192.html

Post Number: 6
I got a new bulb and replaced the old one - the old one had absolutely no markings, the new one had the model number TS-CL110U and UPC 046838015748.
The lamp is extremely bright and reminded me of the TV when I first bought it. I guess the pictures was getting slightly dimmer progressively and I had not noticed it. Let us see how long this lamp will last.

onthetakekc
Unregistered guest
JVC HD-56G786
June 2005 build
Purchased August 2005
3-5 hrs per day 7 days/wk - under 400 hrs
Problems began week of Nov 13th 2005
Belkln Battery Back Up System

Picture has gotten darker and darker over the past week. Tonight the unit made a soft pop and the screen went blank. Lights were flashing on and off.

What has the turn around time been for getting your replacment light? Overnight possible?

likegrouch2
Unregistered guest
It took me a week end-to-end without my TV - they did FedEx but even FedEx delivered a day after they were supposed to

Silver Member

Post Number: 253
I received a replacement lamp the next day. TS-CL110U and UPC 046838015748.

Marked TS-CL110UAA on white sticker on box, TS-CL110U on box itself

onthetakekc
Unregistered guest
Well I guess it first would help to even get a call back from JVC. I called Monday morning and was told my called was escalated to their HD support engineers (they have 4?) and I was supposed to get a call back within 48 hours. I called again last night and was told the person my ticket was assigned to was not there yesterday. So I am supposed to get a call today. I assume if I don't get one today then I won't hear anything until Monday due to the holiday.

So at the very least I am now looking at not recieving the light kit until Monday which would be a full 7 days since I called the first time.

For $2700 I am not real impressed to say the least.

Unregistered guest
I also had the same problem, bought new in august 05, we have not used it more the 400 hours. Pictured dimmed day before, then soft pop with flashing lights. On a surge protector with line conditioner so I doubt it has to do with voltage problems. Called Rex and they said to call someone else for parts that it was not covered and that the replacement was over $200. So I got online and happened along this forum, sure glad, calling jvc to see about replacement. It would have to happen the day before Thanksgiving, guess will be watching the old set.
Model 52z585, pur. 8/05. avg use approx 5hrs per day, line conditioner/surge protection

pkozan1
Unregistered guest
I bought my 61" JVC HD-61Z886 two months ago and .....there You go...I need lamp replacement, it will take 5 business days and I have to do it myself. My friend bought the same TV three months ago and his JVC died this morning. The picture is truly amazing in HD and the price of $2,600 comparing to other brands is not bad, but lamp problem seems to be real and there must be some steps taken by JVC to improve quality of those lamps....or just sell new TV with extra 3 new lamps included in a box.

Patrick Mendenall
Unregistered guest
I can't see any reds on my set from any input. I have a JVC 52" 585 and it just started doing this after 10 1/2 happy months with the set. Has anyone else seen this or know what is happening?

Username: Excia

I purchased an HD52Z585 at HHGregg in September 2004 along with a 5-year service contract.

First bulb blew a couple days before Superbowl 2005. HHGregg wouldn't arrange for a bulb replacement in time for Superbowl. I complained bitterly to their head of service. They swapped out the old TV for a new one (manufacture Jan 2005), which basically covered the recall issue with early units.

Second bulb blew Wednesday, November 23rd after several days of dimming. Called HHGregg, who said they'd handed off service to GE. Called GE, got local rep, told them that the bulb had blown and that they shouldn't even call until they have the replacement bulb. Tech called today to say they don't have any bulbs but will order one.

Called JVC national customer support on Wednesday (1-800-858-6442). Explained issue, requested replacement bulb via overnight. Was told at 10am Eastern that a supervisor would call me back within a couple hours. I called back around 3pm Eastern after hearing from no one. Was told that they had my information, that the supervisors were in a meeting, and that someone would deal with my issue before they went home. Never heard from anyone.

Called HHGregg today (Friday, November 25th) to see if there is a bulb anywhere in town. No.

Called JVC back today at 9am Eastern. Got a rep who said she had my information but that supervisors weren't in yet. (Supervisors get in late? Really? What kind of boss is that?) She said I'd hear back within an hour. It's an hour, no calls.

I'll be calling back all day to find out what's up.

JVC's customer support is woefully deficient.

Username: Excia

Quick follow up:

TV's on about 3 hours a day, maybe 4.

Connected directly to a 1500VA UPS.

Username: Grayson

Atlanta, GA USA

Add one more to the mix. I bought my set in late September, and after 2 mos of 5 hrs day use it darkened slowly and then "pop"... it was dark.

My retailer (hh gregg) was terrible. They first tried an "I told you so" re: extended warranty. I pressed back and made them admit...

1) Their extended service agreement only would cover the LABOR to replace the lamp... something I could easily do myself (I had researched exactly that point when I bought the set).

2) The lamp in question, since my set was only 2 mos old, was already covered by the Mfr warranty.

3) They did know about the problem with the HD-ILA lamps.

4) hh gregg outsourced their service, so they didn't even have a spare lamp at the store. Not even a parts counter if you'd want to BUY one! On top of that, they couldn't even tell me WHO worked on the JVC's they sold, so I would have to contact the company.

5) They told me to expect a ~3 week turnaround (!!!) for a new lamp.

So I went home, got online, and called JVC with a potential chip on my shoulder. But I tell ya what - their Customer Service (even on a Sat. night) was fast, knowledgeble, and polite. They put my concerns to rest immediately processed my request and told me a new lamp was on it's way in about a week.

BONUS - I work near the JVC Service Center in Lawrenceville, GA. I went there and purchased my personal spare/buffer lamp for $200. My plan is to use it so when/if other lamps fail, I've always got a "buffer" spare on-hand. IMO, not a bad investment.

LESSON LEARNED - I'm not buying my A/V equipment from a big-box retailer again. There is a reason small specialty retail exists - SERVICE. Seeing how uninformed (and uninterested) hh gregg was regarding my satisfaction. That's worth the 10-20% premium to me.

It is no secret now after reading the numerous and uncannily similar problems with the JVC bulbs - THEY HAVE A PROBLEM - period.
They may be trying to send replacement bulbs while under warranty, but one year later how often do we plan to spend 200$ on a bulb every 3-5 months ?
I will find out how to petition JVC and if anyone has already done that or knows how to go about it - please post.
I want it to get the HIGHEST possible attention in JVC, so they warranty ALL bulbs for at least 6000 hours without ANY questions or exceptions. I think that is the ONLY resolution to these problems. One year warranty DOES NOT cut it.

If marketing promises 6000 hours before you buy the TV, let engineering/warranty stand by it after you buy the TV. Otherwise these are very clearly deceptive marketing practices and have great legal precedents of being in cutomers favor.
This seems very fair to me - what do you guys think ?
- Let democracy rule and let people awake the JVC giant !

Username: Chipvideo

I feel the same as you. I figure it is going to cost me $500 per year in bulbs when my warranty runs out. Before I bought the tv I looked at the 6000 hour lamp life and figured it would cost me roughly $150 per year to keep it running. I think JVC better do something and do it quick because legally they have too.

onthetakekc
Unregistered guest
I finally had a technician call my back Wednesday. He informed me that my Lamp Kit would be shipping FedEx 2nd Day on Friday the 25th. I wanted to check and make sure that it had shipped so I called back tonight and was told the part was backordered for at least a week. I asked the CSR why I was told it would ship today and she told me the technician must have not seen the part was backordered (yeah.. I am buying that). So now I am looking at around 2 weeks without my TV.

I am very close to calling the Dealer and seeing what I can do as far as an exchange for another type of TV. If not that then I am definitely planning on buying a spare Lamp kit so I don't have to go through this joke again.

Question for JVC.

Why are you not stocking a part that is obviously in high demand due to your crappy design of a TV and or Lamp?

Username: Bobandris

Set is JVC HD70G886 AA. Set was purchased on 08/10/05 and has been flawless for approx. 6 hours per day since then. Set went black 11/23/05. Called local JVC authorized service shop 11/25/05 (today, yesterday was Thanksgiving) and their tech came out to check and see whether it was a lamp problem or the set itself. The lamp was fried. He said it was probably due to a manufacturing defect. He took the lamp with him (said factory wants them back to do analysis). He will order a new one and said it should be here in about 5 days.

Anonymous

I have had similar experiences on the lamp problem.

The first lamp blew after about three months of average use. The second died after about 6 months of average use. While I have the extended warrantee through a big box store, it still takes about two weeks to have the TV up and running.

Clearly, JVC has a problem with this lamp. I have been unable to contact JVC directly with the problem, and I have been unable to order a replacement (spare) lamp from them.

Any ideas?

Anonymous

I have had similar experiences on the lamp problem.

The first lamp blew after about three months of average use. The second died after about 6 months of average use. While I have the extended warrantee through a big box store, it still takes about two weeks to have the TV up and running.

Clearly, JVC has a problem with this lamp. I have been unable to contact JVC directly with the problem, and I have been unable to order a replacement (spare) lamp from them.

Any ideas?

Silver Member

Post Number: 260
For parts to be back-ordered is not uncommon for whatever mfg you are talking about.

So far as "stocking" a part...

Let me tell you about 20 years ago when I used to work on Porsche NO-ONE stocked water pumps for the 944 series.... at the time the 944 was "new", and a water pump would last only about a year before it started leaking.

The had many revisions of that part... and until they got it right NO-ONE except the dealer would stock a pump.. and most of the time it had to be special ordered...

Fast forward to JVC and the D-ILa engine.... I read the other night that a "small" company by the name of Intel gave up on the D-Ila because of low yields... JVC has been the first mfg to even get the yield counts up enough to have enough for shipping product...

On the "LAMP".... From what I've read some "lamps" are better than others... On "stocking" lamps.... If they are currently actively going thru revisions they aren't going to be ordering too many at a time... Because they like the auto parts guys don't want to be sitting on top of inventory which has been superseded.

Not ordering a bunch I'm sure makes the LAMP manufacturers more receptive.... (Translation... No big orders from us... You LAMP manufacturers are making us look bad...)

For whatever reason waiting two weeks is nothing... It took me 9 MONTHS to get a working set.. many phones calls to ANOTHER mfg about 3 years ago. It took me 9 months to get a working set from another mfg, read some of the details here, allot of details left out... by the time everything was said and done I probably had 100 hours plus (or more!!!) "invested": https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=474384#POST474384

I look at it like this... If the light engine holds up... and I have to replace the lamp.... "I" can replace it.... No service call needed.. and the set is back to looking like new... the D-ILA light engine does NOT use "Organic" compounds... that DEGRADE over time like the DLP sets do...

That being said... Like I have posted before I think if the LAMP is rated for 6,000 hours... That means 6,000 hours...

The mfg of the LAMP should be made to honor any claims within that time frame... Or should I say that amount of "hours".... a 1 year warranty is a joke...

All I can say is for all you posting "problems"..

2: Serial number of your set
3: Date of mfg
4: date of purchase
5: Note symptoms
6: Note amount of run time, hour may hour each day
7: Note amount time set say on once it is powered up. (In other words your not turning OFF and back on every time a commercial comes on.)
5: Note if set in plugged into a UPS -to not only FILTER incoming power, but to PROTECT set from BROWN-OUT conditions (low voltage)

Post details like the above not only will "help" JVC address the problem... but it will make it ALLOT harder for them to "wiggle" out of any claims, and lawsuits that may come about if these issues are not fixed.

I like others do NOT like the idea of having to "buy" a lamp a year and two days from now... or 2 years.

The way I figure it the LAMP should last at LEAST 3 years in normal use.

6,000 hours / 2,000 hours per year (40 hours a week) x 50 weeks = 6,000 hours.

Since hardly NO-ONE watches TV 8 hours a day... in the real world IF the lamps are indeed rated for 6,000 the lamp should last about...Be warrantied for (GASP!!!!) 5 years..
(Yes I know some people watch TV 8 hours a day, say for their "job"... In that case.. that's called commercial use... and commercial use only carries a 90 day warranty...)

Bronze Member
Username: Kwallstorm

Post Number: 22
I read the JVC posts because my choice was between their set and a Toshiba DLP. For what it's worth, Toshiba seems to be having a problem with their bulbs also. Check AVS for instance.
You Are Not Alone

Post Number: 10
couttsperez
HD52Z575 52" HD-ILA Rear Projection TV (16:9, HDTV Compatible)
Strengths: High Quality Picture
Weaknesses: Lamp Unit Failures
Summary: JVC HD-ILA (HD52Z575) ... Great picture quality, even better if the HD cable channel is actually broadcasting an HD program (not all HD programs are equal ... especially annoying that the preview channel is the only one broadcasting the highest quality 24/7).

HOWEVER, in approximately 12 months of regular household use I have had two lamp components burn out /malfunction ! This is spite of being in a new house with properly grounded wall outlets, plenty of ventilation space around the unit, regular household TV usage and the automated JVC heat management system that is built-in (the project lamp operates at very high tempuratures).

I believe JVC has a lamp problem (circuitry or heat management), and since this is part of their "higher-end" TV line (i.e. the more expensive TVs), the cost of ownership could be prohibitive if you are replacing $400 lamp units every 6 to twelve months.

Also, it is even more annoying that the TV power ON/OFF is a time delayed situation (compounded by the fact that it does not achieve the results required, namely the long life of the lamp unit ... estimates ranging to 7,000 hours or 2 years).

NOTE: Operating the TV for 18 hours a day, 365 days a year would be 6,570 hours!

Again, the quality is excellent, the size is also excellent ... but carefully consider the consumable costs before you purchase (i.e. the lamp units), ... hopefully JVC will address this issue (but until that time you are well advised to purchase an extended warranty for the TV that includes lamp replacement).

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 458
To WeAreNotAlone69,

You said, "the D-ILA light engine does NOT use "Organic" compounds... that DEGRADE over time like the DLP sets do..."

Just so you know, organic compounds are found in LCD displays, not DLP. The D-ila is a liquid crystal on silicon (LCOS) technology. You can Google it and find that liquid crystals can be organic (containing protein) as well as synthetic material.

With DLP it's all done with light and mirrors.

I wish your idea of lamp longevity was a reality.
It's been my experience that a lamp is a light bulb and nothing more. A number of factors will greatly diminish it's life. Some of these are manufacturer defects, rough transportation, on/off cycles, poor heat dissipation, firing within 15 minutes of turning off, improper cool down from a power failure not allowing the fan to operate, bumping the set while on, dust build-up on the cooling fan, etc, etc.

It should be no mystery that UHP lamps can and will have failures. It's a real mystery that people who knowingly purchase a consumable lamp projector are not purchasing a spare lamp. They subject themselves to downtime waiting on warranty repairs or back ordered lamps for no good reason. Lamps are available for any projector model from a number of sources. I bought two spares on eBay for $60 each. I'm still under warranty, but I'll be damned if I'm going to go a day without my DLP.

Silver Member

Post Number: 263
FYI , aka DLPforMe!

The only way to get LAMP life, or should I say get the mfg's to honor the rated lamp life is by people posting detailed info.

That was the point I was trying to make. To get everyone who is having problems to post DETAILED info.

Having say 500 or 1,000 posts (or whatever) with detailed info, for EVERYONE to see on the "net" would pressure the mfg's to STAND behind the rated times.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Technical details aside, all we are trying to say - if you sell a lamp life of 6000 hours - deliver a product that gives you 6000 hours or close, not 400-600 hours.

onthetakekc
Unregistered guest
The simple fact that they are replacing these lamps for no charge tells me that they feel there is a problem.

No one is going to (or would have) bought a TV that needs to have a replacement lamp installed for every 3 months of normal use.

There are 2 solutions to this problem.

1. Design the lamps to last their advertised life span.

2. Start sending everyone that calls in 2 lamp kits so there is no downtime.

Silver Member

Post Number: 272
onthetakekc,

The only reason they are replacing the lamps is because the units ARE under warranty.

The fact they are doing so has nothing to do about if a problem exists.

You can be assured that once the sets of OUT of warranty we owners will be the ones footing the bill:-( :-( :-( .... Unless people start posting DETAILED info... for force them to extend the time period on the lamps.

That's why EVERYONE who is having problems should post DETAILED info... In case these issues do NOT go away...

PS:If anything the backorders on the lamps suggests they did NOT expect problems. That it is a case that the supplier or the lamp, or something in the ballast is screwed up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 273
Typo: Should read:

You can be assured that once the sets of OUT of warranty we owners will be the ones footing the bill!!! :-( :-( :-( .... Unless people start posting DETAILED info... to force them to extend the time period on the lamps. To me this means shipping replacement lamps even if the set itself is "offically" out of warranty... 6,000 hours is 6,000 hours.

If the lamp fails it should be replaced... The MFG of the LAMP eating the cost, not the end consumer.

While it can be said in some cases damage was caused by rough handling, etc as FYI has pointed out... Warranty is all a numbers game... You aren't going to have to ship out many lamps overall percentage wise if the basic design is good.. and the PARTS (lamps /ballasts) are made to a high standard.

Ditto if the problems are being caused by defective ballasts, etc. If short lamp life is being caused by a defective design and or parts, the mfg should step up and honor any claim regardless of the purchase date (GASP!) up to say about 3 years, instead of only (1)....

If there is truely nothing wrong with the design.. and they are getting quality parts JVC should seriously consider such a plan.

onthetakekc
Unregistered guest
I don't quite understand your logic. Isn't a lamp considered a consumable (and would not be under warranty under normal circumstances) just like a tire on a car? I guarantee if went to my dealership and told them to replace my worn tires because my car is still under warranty I would be laughed out of the place. Now if those lovely tires were firestones on a 98 ford explorer then they would replace them for no cost in a heartbeat.

My main point is if JVC doesn't think there is a problem they could easily tell me that I need to buy another lamp. They are replacing these lamps because they KNOW there is a problem. It does not take a rocket scientist to realize there is something wrong when the lamp is advertised to last 6000 hours but fails before 500 hours.

Replacing the lamp for free is not near enough and is nothing but a band-aid fix. I am not going to go without a TV for 2 weeks every 3 months because they cant engineer something to live up to what is on the marketing material.

I (and many other people) bought this TV being told by the Dealer and the Manufacture that the lamp would last around 6000 hours. If it is not then that would be false advertising, correct?

BOTTOM LINE
If I pay premium amount for a TV I expect a premium TV and premium support. As far as I am concerned JVC has definitely failed on the support end.

Atlanta, GA USA

- JVC HD-52G886

- (Sorry,not posting my S/N publicly, as it may encourage someone to submit a bogus warranty claim referencing it)

- June 2005

4: date of purchase
- Sept 22, 2005

4a: Place of purchase (added this on my own)
- hh gregg - Buford, GA

5: Note symptoms
- Premature lamp failure (see title of this thread ;))

6: Note amount of run time, hour may hour each day
- 5-6 hours/day

7: Note amount time set s(t)ay(s) on once it is powered up. (In other words your not turning OFF and back on every time a commercial comes on.)
- Contuinuous operation. No interim power cycles.

8: Note if set in plugged into a UPS -to not only FILTER incoming power, but to PROTECT set from BROWN-OUT conditions (low voltage).
- Direct AC outlet connection to a wall outlet (per #4 in "Warnings", page 7 of JVC's Users Guide.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Simple question to all who are debating the merits of warranty/consumables etc --
WOULD YOU BUY THE TV IF THEY ADVERTISED A BULB LIFE OF 600 HOURS?
I would NOT for anything more than 300$- would you for 2000$?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 463
Owner,

You may find this hard to believe, but perhaps 95 percent of all owners of your model are not experiencing early lamp failures. The subject of this thread of yours is the first I've seen involving this model.

The only egregious account of lamp failures by far has been the Pan...ic LCxx13 model, which continues today. My personal opinion of that situation is a design flaw causing restricted air flow resulting in a lack of proper lamp cooling.

Most lamp failures can be attributed to an approximate small percentage failure rate of lamps in general. I have mentioned several factors, which can contribute to failures. A few projection set owners are going to be unlucky when it comes to these UHP lamps. The lamp manufacturers are compensating set makers to an extent, which is why set makers will cover a lamp in the same time frame as the rest of the set's warranty. (typically a year) Normally, a lamp has a 90 day warranty, not an estimated 6000 hour warranty. There is no written guarantee of life hours in any set maker's manual for a reason. It's a light bulb!

I know you don't want to believe what I've written. I'll finish with a segment from another post.

"If lamps weren't so expensive folks wouldn't be freaking out. This idea of "proprietary design" for each brand and model has caused an artificial escalation of value on what should be a $10-$20 light bulb. The whole idea is in the process of backfiring on retailers and set makers. A flood of aftermarket lamps from China or somewhere would undoubtedly solve the cost problem. Maybe then, more people would consider buying a few spares.

Can they make them better? Maybe...someday. I'm sure their respective R & D departments are in high gear from the fallout. RP lamps are already better than FP lamps by 5 to 1. I've heard of two Phillips UHP lamps still up and running after 10,000 hours."

Best regards!

Silver Member

Post Number: 275
Kevin,
I understand people not wanting to post their FULL serial number....

Leave off the last few digits XXX'ing them out. The serial number range is just that.. a range...

The point I am trying to make is unless people do post as much info as possible... we owners will be holding the bag once the set is out of offical warranty. Each post carries alot more weight with detailed info...

For those that think they are "covered" because they have an Extended Warranty, and don't care... Those polices can be changed.... Most all insurance compaines if they are having too many claims will find a way to deny YOUR claim.

On point #8, plugging the set into a UPS filters the incoming power.. protects from spikes, and brownouts that damage electronics... and keep power to the cooling fan in power outages.

Just to clarify: Date of pruchase Sept 22, 2005, run time 5-6 hours/day ...

Lamp (as shipped with set) burned out November 27, 2005 ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 278
RE: "If lamps weren't so expensive folks wouldn't be freaking out. This idea of "proprietary design" for each brand and model has caused an artificial escalation of value on what should be a $10-$20 light bulb. The whole idea is in the process of backfiring on retailers and set makers. A flood of aftermarket lamps from China or somewhere would undoubtedly solve the cost problem. Maybe then, more people would consider buying a few spares.

Can they make them better? Maybe...someday. I'm sure their respective R & D departments are in high gear from the fallout. RP lamps are already better than FP lamps by 5 to 1. I've heard of two Phillips UHP lamps still up and running after 10,000 hours."

FYI,

We are in agreement largely.... Yep people wouldn't be "freaking" out about lamp costs if they were "cheaper".

If lamps were $30-$50... and gave somewhere near the rated time... No one would be complaining... It would be a case of just ordering a spare.

At $200+ to $600 per lamp.. then people do sort of freak out.... I've read alot of posts on people NOT being able to even buy a lamp... at any price. Lamps on eternal backorder.... Mfg's either not ordering enough... OR putting "new" shipments they receive into "shipping" product... and NOT holding enough back to cover consumers needs.

I've run accross this before with MANY products... mfg's NOT stocking replacement parts... and they feeding any shipment of parts they receive to their "factory"... All parts going to the assembly line primarly. With maybe a few token ones held back... Those selling out.. and no replacement parts being available, until the next shipment... The cycle repeating...

On the R&D making them better.... once the sets get out of warranty, the only reason to get after the mfgs of the lamps/ and or designers of the sets who spec'd out the lamps is to keep their name good. (The mfg of the set)

As long as people think it's "ok", that the lamp mfg's don't have to stand behind the lamps, there is really no reason for "them" (the lamp mfg's) to improve their products... (the only reason for them to improve would be the set mfg (JVC in this case) refusing to buy any more product from them.)

My JVC, has a TS-CL110Uaa lamp... I believe mfg by Toshiba.

Most people if the set fails aren't going to even know the lamp was made by Toshiba... They are going to blame JVC... Not Toshiba... Regardless if the lamp was at fault, the ballast, the cooling ducting, etc... They aren't going to blame Hon_Sing factory that made the ballast, etc, the shipping company, etc... All fingers will point to the mfg of the SET, not the component parts...

Most consumers... have NO idea the lamp IS a consumable.... No idea the lamp would be so expensive to replace... Or would fail far short of the rated time.

I will tell you who does "know" these lamps are consumables... The Extended warranty people... The EW sold thru Sam's /Wal-Mart (NEW) does NOT cover lamps.

Sort of tells you there is a "problem" with sets that use "lamps". (regardless of brand set)..

That they have looked at the rated time, vs the time people are actually getting, and have deceided covering such items would bleed them dry.

If the lamps were getting anywhere close to the rated run time they WOULD cover them.

Atlanta, GA USA

Here's a(nother) uncomfortable thought -
Indidually-shipped replacement lamps are definitely not an optimal way for JVC to handle these issues.

Projector lamps are notoriously sensitive to handling, temp, and moisture issues. You can control those when they're shipped on pallets and stored in climate-controlled warehouses... then installed by trained technicians

Send 1 lamp at a time to consumers for direct replacement? ALL the variables kick in. I guess I'm glad I can pick up future lamps at a Service Center (and I'm a EE). I imagine JVC has taken their supplier to the woodshed over this one!

Silver Member

Post Number: 283
I'd rather have the lamp shipped directly to me... So far as trained techs installing the lamp... JVC saves a bundle by making it replaceable by the end user.

While I agree with you on most of the issues you present... these things do come from overseas.. and I can bet you those shipping containers aren't climate controled, or pressurized....

Another aspect is if they were , or were not shipped in a climate controled container, once they get here they are shipped via UPS, Fed-EX, etc to the LOCAL repair shops... (I don't see many JVC trucks running around to the various LOCAL shops... I see Fed-Ex, UPS...)

On the mosture issues, once they get here they don't stay on the shelf long enough for that to matter much.

BTW: On those "Trained techs"... unless it's factory, factory "techs".... I don't want them anywhere near my set:

About three years ago I needed "service" on another mfg's set (NON-JVC) It took me 9 MONTHS to get a working set.. many, many, many phone calls.

Read some of the details here, allot of details left out... by the time everything was said and done I probably had 100 hours plus (or more!!!,) "invested": https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=474384#POST474384

BTW: The fact the lamp IS user replaceable was a BIG selling point with me. My experiance with supposedly authorized "factory trained" service centers was not fun.

Unregistered guest
We bought the JVC rear prjection TV in December.(model # HD52z675) In February we replaced the first lamp, August we replaced the second, November we replaced the third! Warranty will be up in 25 days. Got a 3 year extended Warranty, but the warranty will not cover the lamps. What can we do?

Unregistered guest
We bought the JVC rear prjection TV in December.(model # HD52z675) In February we replaced the first lamp, August we replaced the second, November we replaced the third! Warranty will be up in 25 days. Got a 3 year extended Warranty, but the warranty will not cover the lamps. What can we do?

Nick E Hurst
Unregistered guest
We bought the JVC HD 52z575 52" In Jan 2005.WE have watched TV apox. 4 hours a day for the last 330 days
Thats 1320 hours. The TV went black No dimming at all or getting darker , it just went black. THe front power led and lamp led are blinking continously, so i am guessing the lamp blew. I hope to god that JVC replaces the lamp and arrives shortly. I am not impressed with the very short life of this lamp. Looking at all these posts it is obvious that JVC has a serious problem.

Username: Dodiesel

Severn, MD

I bought the 52" DILA only 3 months ago. Sep3, 05. Already, my lamp is out. JVC said that the lamps are on at least 2 week back order. Well surprise surprise if everyone needs them! 3 month old TV, out for at least 2 weeks now!

dgsinclair
Unregistered guest
Interestingly, I love the picture on these sets, and went to my local GoodGuys, which is closing it's doors in a week. They have a few TVs left, and the ones that don't work, about ten of them, are in one area. Among them are two JVC HD-ILA sets, including a 52 inch and the 61 Inch HD61-IZ525 (I think). They are selling the 61 for $1800, but as you will not be surprised to find, the bulb is out (same with the 52). I doubt the one poster's claims that 95% of people aren't having this problem - I betcha that a larger percentage of people who've had this set over a year have outed bulbs.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 472
Maybe so!

At the time of my posting only a few had sounded off. There is an extensive JVC thread (3767 posts) that is not riddled with failed lamp posts.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 473
I ran across this post in the JVC thread!
Sounds like a bad run.

Are these Toshiba brand lamps?
Toshi had a bad lamp run in DLP last summer and Samsung replaced them with Phillips lamps.

globo
Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 04:41 pm:

All, Regarding lamp blowouts.

I am on the phone with JVC as I am writing this. The customer care rep says that there is a known problem with the lamps.

If you check the AVS forums many people are having this problem.

JVC is telling me that because of this problem they will ship us new lamps regarless of the warranty.

They say it is the lamps and not the set. and that they will keep sending lamps until you get a good one even if your warranty is expired.

sheesh

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
To help diagnose a bad bulb batch or manufacturer - here are the details about my old and new bulb.
The old one had absolutely no markings - no kidding except for the warnings - no numbers or letters - no markings at all, no bar codes nothing. - very strange, how will JVC diagnose problems !! - hope they have RFID in them !

The new bulb had the model number TS-CL110UAA and UPC 046838015748.
Some additional numbers on the white label on the box are
140R7102
LC32881 - 001A.
It is "Assembled in Mexico from Japanese components"
Distributed by JVC Americas Corp 1700 Valley Road, Wayne, NJ 07470

Please, can everyone write their information down here.

And were you asked to return the old bulb or not?

I hope it is bad bulb batch - I see a lot more people come out of the woodwork esp. with the new searchable title of the post that is No 1 in Google for "JVC lamp problems".

chris newcamp
Unregistered guest
Hi guys, newbie here. After viewing a jvc hd-ila [at sam's club] for the first time, I was realy impressed by the picture, as I have been leaning towards a dlp for awhile now. Price looked right, but I needed more info., So I went to best buy where the only usefull info. I got was the "older models" [ black top/ silver base] had "bulb" issues". After reading all the messages here, I'm very disappointed with jvc as I own a crt, and some stereo equipment that has run flawlessly. [ JVC] The picture IS impressive however. Do you recommend waiting for a newer model with the bulb issue worked out? BTW, I noticed on the spec sheet the sam's employee printed out that the lamp is Mercury, and if this is the same light source that you guys are talking about, Mercury bulbs burn brighter [ hence brighter picture] run hotter, and burn out quicker, especially if the bulb used is not rated correctly for the base. I learned this while dealing with an outside lighting application. Maybe this is the problem, I don't know. Thanks to the guy who posted Sam's EW does Not cover bulbs. Very helpfull. How hard is it to replace these bulbs? I'm not a tech, just
" a chick"
Model # hd55g466
Anyone know anything about this model?
Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 299
The LAMP issues "may" be from a batch of bad lamps instead of a design flaw. Time will time.

On the EW... Yep the NEW EW from SAM's does not cover LAMPS. If it had I would have gone for it... Since it did not I did not.

On replacing the LAMP.

It is VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY EASY.

Just make SURE to let the set sit for about an hour (OR MORE) to let it cool off... Otherwise you can burn yourself.

Make sure to UNPLUG the set when doing so. Preferably for an hour also to let any stored up energy in any capacitors, etc to bleed off. May not apply in this case, but it's good policy to do so, especailly if your going "inside" the set.

To replace the lmap on the G series, remove the access panel, then R+R the Lamp assm.

BTW: Don't get "down" on JVC just yet. It may have been a case of a bad batch of lamps. I received a replacement light the next day when I called then. Good, fast service.

Some have reported lamps being on backorder...

Well I have a newsflash... Backorders can and do "happen" to any company....

The fact they have been on backorder as or late as people post could mean that JVC is in some kind of "working" agreement with the lamp vendor... That they had told the lmap mfg to get their act straight.. that they will only accept non-flawed lamps, instead of "accepting" everything the lamp wants to ship them. (Only accepting first runs, A grade, instead of B grade or seconds)

Heck it took 9 months for finally get another mfg set "back" from "repair.. It was not until about the 4 or 5th month that I learned that the parts would NEVER come in.

About three years ago I needed "service" on another mfg's set (NON-JVC) It took me 9 MONTHS to get a working set.. many, many, many phone calls.

Read some of the details here, allot of details left out... by the time everything was said and done I probably had 100 hours plus (or more!!!,) "invested": https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=474384#POST474384

Anonymous

Bought a JVC DILA HD-52Z585 in Dec. 2004, replaced the first bulb in July, second one just died!!! At $500 each, this is going to be one expensive TV to own. Now to fight JVC - again. If its a set design problem - not enough cooling around the bulb, the only solution may be to get a new TV.

Username: Chipvideo

Post Number: 5
I wish jvc would get a different light source. Too bright for my eyes anyway. Have one that isn't as bright therefore less heat and longer life.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
$500 each!? Sorry Anon but your information is WAY, WAY off. The most expensive price I've seen on the lamp (from someone other than JVC BTW) is $289. From JVC the price is $199. So, I don't know where you're getting the $500 a piece. Unless of course you are purposely exagerating because you have an axe to grind.

Khedive
Unregistered guest
I purchased my JVC HD52Z575 (SN# 17984676 PA) in late January 2005. The lamp popped the other evening after what I estimate to be about 1500 hours of service or half the estimated life the Best Buy salesman talked about. Had I known the bulbs were going to blow this frequently I never would have purchased this set in the first place. I have called Best Buy and JVC and they tell me they cannot get me a replacement bulb for about 3 weeks. This is absolutely ridiculous and totaly unacceptable. I will never purchase another JVC product again and will also never waste my money on a service agreement again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 305
Khedive,

Backorders can and do "happen" to any company....

This "lamp" issue, seems to be affecting sets across the board from all mfg's... (I guess they as only a few lamp mfgs... and they like shipping rejects :-) :-)

You think a few week wait is bad (and it is, I'm with you, I feel your pain:-)

I've seen posts with people with RCA's for example the lamp costing $500 to $600... and the lamp being on backorder for 9 MONTHS.

NINE MONTHS... people saying their lamp had blown, and unable to get a lamp at all.

I really HOPE that the tv mfg's get together and standerize on (1) lamp design that could be used in ANY set.. When they fiqure out what lamps "last" and which ones don't.

(I not holding my breath though)....

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 482
"I will never purchase another JVC product again"

Khedive,

You purchased a consumable lamp projector. That's what "projection" means. It's not anything like your old CRT and you know it. You could have bought another CRT for a fraction of what you spent, but you chose projection.

Not everyone experiences a lamp failure in the first year or even two years, but some, like yourself, will. You should have thought about buying a spare lamp when you bought into the technology. Almost nobody does, though. That's when they come on here complaining as you have. While the uneducated are quick to blame set manufacturers others understand that rear projection UHP mercury lamps can last up to five times longer than hotter burning front projection lamps. I know of two still working after 10,000 hours. Those who do a little research know about the many factors that can shorten the life of a lamp and take precautions against premature failure. Some folks purchase a lamp warranty. Others find discounted lamps on eBay and purchase a few. Most do nothing and freak out like you.

JVC makes a fine RPTV as do other set makers. They do not make the lamps, nor do other set makers. Sometimes lamps fail for whatever reason. Eventually, they will become less expensive. All we can do is be prepared for the inevitable occurance or blame ourselves if we are not.

Here is an excellent article about these lamps.

http://www.cherrywood-av.co.uk/guides/Lamps.pdf

Silver Member

Post Number: 306
FYI, Just in case a JVC rep happens to read this thread...

Who is the mfg, and what is the part number for those LAMPS still going strong after 10,000 hours.

Addtionally, just so it may make the JVC reps job "easier", what set(s) are these "good" lamps installed in?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 486
You won't want to here it, but here goes.

The lamp manufacturer is Phillips.
They pioneered the first UHP lamp.
UHP 100w/120w
Made in Belgum

These are in all 44-61 inch Samsung DLP models in the US. Unfortunately, they are mounted in a dozen different proprietary housings. This was the result of two different light engine makers and 6 generations of light engines.

I'm not sure about the Canadian models.
I've heard of one Canadian model having an Osram.
The guy who posted here said it exploded.

I like your media room. Nice!

Silver Member

Post Number: 309
Maybe JVC needs to source their lamps from Phillips instead of Toshiba...

Hopefully SOMEONE at JVC is READING what people are posting here.

(If they're not, they should be, eh?)

If not JVC products are going to get a "reputation " for EATING lamps.... and I'm sure that is going to hurt sales... (and piss off a bunch of people who are unaware that their new set, IS a model that EATS LAMPS.)

To me, if a component is rated at for example 6,000 hours, and it falls short by a large degree, I'm not going to be "happy". Actually when I was making a "buying" decision lamp life DID figure highly into the purchase decision. I figure 6,000 hours to be roughly 3 years for my usage patterns OR more.

The unit I bought was a display... LAMP was burned out, I marking that up to improper shutdown at the end of each day... The more posts I read about premature lamp life, the more I get the feeling that there IS something defect in either the lamp itself, the cooling circuit, ducting, ballast, etc that is causing these premature failures.

While it can be said MOST customer will probably not have a "problem"... Just yesterday at SAM's I noticed (2) HD-61z575 sets in the mark down section. I think one of which was a return...

I can only hope someone with brain activity IS monitoring these threads to gain info on what "real-world" customers are experiencing... and to address "problems" that may make people "unhappy", or regret the purchase of a JVC product.

I for one am the type that if I'm happy with a product, I will HELP the sales of that product.

But on the other hand, if I'm "unhappy"... Well, lets just say you don't want to be in my unhappy side.

For EVERY dollar I feel a problem has cost me, I'll do everything I can to try make it cost the other guy a thousand dollars or more.

That's for EACH dollar the problem cost me...

I'll make sure to KILL as many sales of that product as possible.

chris N
Unregistered guest
To WANA69
Thanks for the reply, by your instructions, I assume access panel is in the rear, and when you say R&R the light assembly, is it a single bulb we're dealing with here? Do they [it?] have to be handled like a halogen? I've never been inside a rear projection, but I'm always game to learn repair. It must be in an obvious location, you make it sound fairly simple.
I need to say one thing here,[ In regard to FYI's post] YES, everyone should do their "homework" before buying a new tv, regardless of the technology involved, but speaking for myself, If I'm shelling out several thousand $ I expect it to WORK, and, if it doesn't, I also expect the manufacturer to resolve the issue in a timely fashion, especially if it is a re-occuring problem. Lemon Law anyone?
I'm NOT bashing you FYI, I just think the playing field should be even.
WANA69:
I read your link on the EW issue, you never mentioned brand. How about a hint?
Thanks again

Silver Member

Post Number: 311
chris N,

The lamp is easily replaceable via an access panel. On the G series I think it's on the left hand side of the set... and YES you handle it like a halogen. On the Z series you pull the left speaker grill, and an access door. Two screws on the lamp itself and it slides right out.

On the comment that you made about FYI.. and comments he has made saying "everyone should do their "homework" before buying a new tv"

Well.... I think the mfg's need to do their "homework" and be sure any product they release is tested throughly before being offered for sale.

They should also inform the potenial buyer of the COSTS of lamp replacements as most people have NO idea about these issues... if they are migrating from CRT based sets that have been in production for the past 50 years... and seem to last forever.

Most consumer expect the same life span... and if anything expect a "new" state of the art item using the latest in mfg'ing procedures and the knowledge gained from the past 50 years of making TV's, and the past 30 years of making semi-conductors to be more reliable than their "old" tv. (That being said I can see some issues on things such as light engines, since they have never been mfg'd before:-)

Like I said before, I knew the set I bought DID have a lamp... the cost to be around $200... $200 for 6,000 hours... 3 -5 years with my usage patterns.

On the set that took 9 months to get a working unit because of "backordered parts" .. the brand is really not important because all the mfg's are guilty (IMO) of gearing up making so many parts... with the assembly line getting the parts FIRST... and then whatever is left over being put back for stock, for warranty replacement.

If say for example they have a shipment of 5,000 lamps.. and their production is 4,999... I would think that they are not going to hold back 1,000 lamps to ship to the end user.. The assembly line gets first dibs...

Another thing they do is making so many replacement parts, fiquring so many are going to be defective per 1,000... and then being in a bind when the projected failure rate is more than projected. (I.E. not having any "spares"... and NO plans to gear up for another production run, not cost effective...)

PS: The brand was a Toshiba...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
My homework was very simple - TV maker said bulb lamp = 6000 hours. Homework says "6000 hours = 6000 hours and NOT 600 hours". Sounds simple to me !
I get your point FYI, but you seem to be blaming the poor buyers for believing a lying and deceptive TV maker like JVC.

IMHO No homework other than reading this thread will save you from a lying manufacturer.

I think most people who buy projection TVs buy them aware of the fact that lamps are consumables, but not every 3-5 months !

A simple analogy here will help - you buy a car - sticker/manufacturer/advertiser/dealer says you will get 20 miles/gallon - you take it out and it gives you 2 miles/gallon - will you be happy?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 488
In a perfect world, WANA69!
I like Chris's abbreviation.

The trouble with your idealistic expectations is that they are not reality. RPTV isn't the only cutting edge technology that uses the public as a test bed. Capitalism, marketing and free enterprize has put out many a lemon. Free choice has ultimately weeded out the bad inventers over time.

I think some fixed pixel RPTV makers have a great product. It's unfortunate that they happen to depend on a fragile UHP lamp to look as good as they do. I think their performance blows CRT out of the water. However, I would not have bought another CRT even if it looked good. CRT's were made to last, back in the 80s. The ones made in the last five years are not made the same. Corners have been cut. Mass production cost savings have cheapened the process. My 2002 Sony 36" picture tube failed in early 2004. The repairman said, "they don't make them like they used to...I see this all the time" he said. So, we move on! Maybe not into an era of integrity either, but we must move on.

I think the UHP lamps should be handled in a much different way. They shouldn't be shipped with the set. They should ship seperately in a bubble wrap and installed once the set is in place. They should come with specific instructions about prolonging their life. If a set placed in an enclosed area, like a cabinet, will block adequate air flow and kill the lamp over time they should state that. If dust will accumulate on the lamp's only cooling fan enough to diminish it's efficiency and kill the lamp then we should be made aware that periodic cleaning is needed to insure proper cooling. If lighting the lamp within 10 minutes of turning it off will damage the electrodes, a warning should be in the lamp instructions. If there is anything else we should know they could put it in writing. I think proper shipping and proper use could make a big difference. There may still be bad runs in production, but all lamps have a minimum 90 day warranty to catch those.

We have joined the ranks of our pricey front projection counterparts. They get less hours (2000 on average) and still, on occasion, have new ones pop right out of the box. Like I said before, a flood of aftermarket lamps from China will cause the price to plummet. Then, we won't care as much. I agree with you and Chris. I'm all for making the set manufacturer's bone up during the first year warranty period. They should be held accountable for design flaws too. They have their responsibility. I'm just not ready to condemn their name brand over a blown lamp.

Bronze Member
Username: Hallen1007

Charlotte, North Carolina USA

Post Number: 34
I agree that the bulbs are parts that break, but if they say 6000 hrs they should stand by at least half of that time. I am buying the Ew for my Hitachi 50v710, but this bulb stuff is crazy. I am wondering if there is an aftermarket bulb maker for all of these RPTV's, LCD and DLP included. If so, does anyone know? Also, does anyone have the SXRD tv's yet from SONY and if so are they having the same problem. FYI, stop blaming the customer for believing the claims of the tv companies. IF your car battery said it lasted for 4 years and went out in 6 months you would be right back to the parts store.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 490
Herman,

You misunderstand!
I don't blame the customer for believing any claims by anyone. Any gripe you perceive is because people come on here thinking they bought another CRT. They don't even realize they have a projector with a lamp. They didn't research it. They didn't buy a spare lamp. They whine about a large dead paper weight and a back order of lamps. Not everyone will get the "estimated" and by the way, non-actual 6000 hours from a light bulb. Others will get 10,000 actual hours or more. If you read my last post carefully you will see that I agree with others that the makers have a responsibility. However, customers should realize that they have a responsibility too.

There is no aftermarket at this time for these "proprietary designed" lamps and housings. There are less expensive ones from a number of sources.

SXRD's are a few months old. No history there.

You might want to look at the Cherrywood link in a previous post. Lamp life rating is not actual hours. Set makers didn't create the rating system or the non-actual number of hours. The lamp makers did.

Bronze Member
Username: Hallen1007

Charlotte, North Carolina USA

Post Number: 36
People should realize these are not CRT's, but I still wish there was some accurate life ratings on these. Light bulbs for my house do it, and Phillips has some super long lasting bulb now. I wonder if they make that one for TV's? Wishfull thinking I guess. If there was some company that would sell them for around 20-30 each, then I would not complain. Maybe over time they will come down. The price we pay to get the latest and greatest.

MJM
Unregistered guest
My first lamp lasted less than 2 months - its replacement is now starting to go after about 8 months. My HDILA TV is not used very much - I would estimate about 600 hours on the current lamp. Called JVC today, and after about 30 minutes on hold (it's Saturday, I can cut them slack there), the rep told me that a "specialist" could call in the next day or two to confirm that the lamp is going bad. However, the rep more or less acknowledged that there is a problem that they are trying to fix and that, as of today, they do have replacement lamps in stock.

Peronsally, if what another poster said is true about JVC providing free replacement lamps even after the warranty expires and that it is simply a lamp quality problem that they are actively trying to rectify, then I am not really all that upset. So far, my experience with their service reps has been great - heck, the first time they replaced the lamp I think I go the new lamp 3 days after I called them.

Personally, since JVC obviously intends to keep marketing the HDILA line and developing more products under it, I would be shocked if they did not find a way to keep everyone happy. Patience will hopefully pay off for everyone.

Silver Member

Post Number: 319
FYI,

RE: However, customers should realize that they have a responsibility too.

Ok, I do my research, and the lamp fails far short of the rated run time, over and over again as several people have posted here and on other boards. Just because you say the lamps from the lamp mfg only have a 90 day warranty, are we to let them off the "hook"... and just buy a new lamp every few months?

There is no aftermarket at this time for these "proprietary designed" lamps and housings.

Don't count on any aftermarket lamps to appear for a while due to "proprietary designed" lamps and housings", until there is a "market", OR there is some kind of standardization you are going to see many "cheap" lamps

There are less expensive ones from a number of sources.

Where? Tell me where I can get a TS-CL110U, or TS-CL110U for less than the price directly from JVC of $199?... None on Ebay BTW...

SXRD's are a few months old. No history there.

How is a consumer supposed to "do his research" if the set(s) they are researching have only been on the market for a short time?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 491
"are we to let them off the "hook"

I never said that!

"you are going to see many "cheap" lamps"

Maybe...maybe not. The patent limits will run out.

"Where? Tell me where..."

This guy can get it and sell it under list.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhodgepodge2000

"How is a consumer supposed to "do his research..."

Do what you can. Take a chance if you wish. Understand a little about the technology you are choosing. Don't trust the words of a salesman. Google is a wonderful thing.

MJM
Unregistered guest
Follow up to earlier post - the JVC "specialist" called me back about 2 hours after I called the 800 number. He told me that I will have a new lamp on Wednesday. He also, more or less, said that they had problems with the lamps and that they are working on/have fixed the problem. Who knows if they have figured it out, but he was pretty adament that the problem is the lamp and not the TV. In essence, he was not going to offer a lot of information, but he definitely indicated that it is a known problem that JVC is trying to deal with.

Silver Member

Post Number: 324
RE: "are we to let them off the "hook"

I never said that!
, ETC

FYI,

With all due respect at every turn you have been touting ,saying that the lamps only have a 90 day warranty, etc, etc, etc... Or something to that effect.... Basically at every turn defending the mfg's for a lack of a better word.

I understand more than anyone that not all of a "product" will reach it's rated lifetime... It all depends on how it's used, how it's cycled, the loading, etc.

I realize you're going to have product that does not reach the rated lifespan in ALL cases. I would say overall if you make a GOOD product using tight quality control with good design, and materials the percentage of lamps that would fail would be very low....

If the numbers are indeed "low"... a good mfg should HONOR the rated run time, replacing the product... If the numbers are high... a redesign , a revamp is in order... along with taking care of customers who have received sub-standard product. (a recall)

I will close with this since it's late, and frankly I'm tired about talking about "ratings", rated strengths, limits, and lifespan...

You better hope the next plane you get on has rivets rated at 10,000 psi @ 10,000 air hours...

Instead of rivets that WERE advertised and SOLD rated @ 10,000 psi, and 10,000 hours.... and really they were rivets that could only take 2,000 psi, and 2,000 hours before shearing off... Them shearing off taking the tail section of the plane off in mid-flight. :-)

I hope you can see the comparison... Ratings DO mean something...

PS: Thanks for the link.. will check it out. Those Samsung lamp sure are cheap... I can see why this is not an issue for you if your lamps only cost $60.

Best of luck to you on your next plane flight....

You better hope they didn't use the same "rating system" as for these "lamps" on ANYTHING on that plane that if it is needed to keep it up in the air!

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 492
Well...lamps aren't planes, but I've always seen your point.

The standard 90 day warranty on lamps is applicable if you buy your own.

My lamp is the BP96-01073A for $159, which he sells for $40 under list.

Samsung owners who are technically inclined can buy the $60 lamp, which has the same 120W bulb, remove it and solder it into their housing. That's how I do it.

It sounds like JVC is going to make it right for you guys one way or another. That's good!

Best regards!

Unregistered guest
Lamp failed less than 3 months.
Model: HD52G886
Ser:13087***
Mfg Date: Aug 05
Purchase Date: 9-05
Failure Date:12-3-05
Average usage: 4-5 hours per day
No power or brown-out problems, new home with the correct and latest wiring, proper grounding etc. System plugged directly into outlet per Warnings #4 page 7, in the user guide.
Noticed a darkening of the screen 2 days previous to failure. On 12-3-05 called JVC to report darkening of images, rep said case would be escalated to Supervisor, and they would call back within 24 hours, later that night, small pop sound, screen went black, and power and lamp cylce lights began flashing. The bulb blew out. Called back JVC this morning, 12-04-05, the rep said case is in system and should still hear from Supervisor, the rep also said very non-chalantly that I quote "Yeah with this we are going to be replacing the bulb". To me this sounds like a known problem, for a call center rep to say this, there is obviously a problem. Otherwise this rep would have said our technical dept or supervisor will work this out with you. At this time I am waiting for the call back, so I cannot respond to actions taken by JVC and a time taken yet. I will let you know. I am very nervous and disappointed with this purchase. I spent alot of hard earned money for my first big screen hd tv. Have owned many JVC products, (tv's, vcr's, surround system's), have always had good luck with their products. If this forum is any indication of what is happening with the D-ILA product, I am deeply disappointed.

Username: Mrmarr

Arlington, Texas USA

After reading this forum, I can only add to the Bulb issue. Model HD-52G786, Purchased 10/15/05, TV dead 12/04/05. Symtoms, Red Program LED and Blue Power LED flashing simultaneously 30 sec or so after power-up.

TV watched maybe 20 hours a week. I also have this on a Panamax Line conditioner, in a cabinet with a 60cfm quiet fan exausting to the attic.
I have emailed JVC this weekend and will call on Monday. I hope this is just the Bulb.

Username: Dleblanc

Gatineau, Quebec Canada

I own a JVC HD-61Z886 which I bought in August 2005. The bulb blew last week after the fan that cool's it stopped working at full capacity..

The technician ordered the parts and it should be fixed next week. I estimate the bulb got between 600 to 800 hours of use.

Username: Jderry78

When you get a new bulb fed-ex to you do they have to take the old bulb back? i took my bulb out waiting to order the replacement and my wife was nice enough to through it away while I was at work.

Silver Member

Post Number: 327
Got a question for you...

When you called, did they ask for a credit card number?

Addtionally, (Note not all sections may apply to you:-)

4: Date of purchase
5: Note symptoms in DETAIL
6: Note hours run each day,
6a:Note estimated TOTAL amount of run time.
7: Note amount time set say on once it is powered up. (In other words your not turning OFF and back on every time a commercial comes on.)
5: Note if set in plugged into a UPS -to not only FILTER incoming power, but to PROTECT set from BROWN-OUT conditions (low voltage)
6: Please note any differances between the old, and new lamp. D-ila lamps should be a Tosihba mfg'd TS-CL110U or TS-CL110Uaa.

Posting details like the above not only will "help" JVC address the problem... but it will make it ALLOT harder for them to "wiggle" out of any claims, lawsuits that may come about if these issues are not fixed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 328
Got a question for you...

When you called, did they ask for a credit card number?

Addtionally, (Note not all sections may apply to you:-)

6: Please note any differances between the old, and new lamp. D-ila lamps should be a Toshiba mfg'd TS-CL110U or TS-CL110Uaa.

Posting details like the above not only will "help" JVC address the problem... but it will make it ALLOT harder for them to "wiggle" out of any claims, lawsuits that may come about if these issues are not fixed.

haven't called yet since my wife through out the old lamp. I have 61Z886 purchase in August set is on about 5 hours a day. Total run time would be about 600 to 700 hours. It is plugged into a RCA surge protector. I will post serial number and date of mfg once I get home. The screen got darker during a movie on Friday, Saturday turned tV on it was running for about 10 minutes and I heard a slight pop and the power indicator and red light started flasing. Since I have been reading the posts pretty much knew it was the lamp so I pulled it out Saturday night.

Silver Member

Post Number: 330
Joseph,

When I called... I transfered (somehow) over the the PRO side of JVC, instead of the consumer divison... I told them I was trying to save them a service call, that the lamp had gone. The guy asked me how long I had the set (about 2 days) and shipped me a replacement direct.

So far (about 2 3- months) I have not gotten a request from them for the old lamp.

Unregistered guest
Chris Newcamp-I am also looking at the hd55g466 from Sam's Club. I called the JVC customer service number and asked them for the model numbers they are having issues with. The women gave me about three. I then asked her about "ours." She said there is only a couple of complaints and the bulbs are under warranty.

Unregistered guest
Chris Newcamp-I am also looking at the hd55g466 from Sam's Club. I called the JVC customer service number and asked them for the model numbers they are having issues with. The women gave me about three. I then asked her about "ours." She said there is only a couple of complaints and the bulbs are under warranty.

Username: Notageek

FYI, thanks for the heads up, it wasn't intentional! re; WANA69- will revise,not my intention to offend here!
W-69: Thanks for the insruction on R&R. It sounds like a single, not multiple bulb issue [ like front projection] I'm on a learning curve here, so thanks for your patience.
O.K. guys, Since I've last posted, the only productive thing I've read was the Ebay link to less expensive bulbs. Good deal for all who are saddled with this beast. We need more stuff like this. I don't think W-69, nor I, are wrong for expecting "normal" longevity for a high dollar item [ tv and bulb]and, FYI, most people spending this kind of money do Not expect to have to buy spare parts. I know I don't.[ Who would buy a new car with a spare, say, transmission?] But if I purchase this type of tv, I also know NOW that I will [not happily, I might add.] W69 helped w/info on repair. In an earlier post, You mentioned, I believe, the phillips light bulb in another brand tv which sounded like a nightmare to replace, certainly not for the average person. A spare bulb here would still need a service call. So we all realize A:{the bulbs [ many/most] do not last long. WELL< STOP ADVERTISING AVERAGES LIFE 6000 hrs. [ Where is "truth in advertising" here?] B: ACKNOLEDGE YOUR PROBLEM, JVC, and extend the bulb warranty to EVERYONE with hdila for the 6000hr/timespan, and thereafter a reasonable charge for the bulb when needed. Surely they don't expect us to believe that bulb ACTUALLY costs $199., do they? Which leads me back to my original post. After reading the above posts, I'm more convinced now that it is indeed a heat issue/and or/ incorrect watt to base issue. I was told by a lighting tech [again, this was an outside application , but it is also much cooler outdoors, which makes this tv problem even more worrysome, that Mercury bulbs [ which this IS according to the spec sheet] burn not only brighter but much hotter, and if you use a lower wattage bulb [ I tried 100watt] in a base that is rated higher[ mine's rated for a 150watt] The bulb burns slightly brighter, but also burns out fast[ mine lasted 2 weeks] Now, if kent had A FAN in his cabinet, and there is another fan in the set itself, how hard is this to figure out? To luvacop, if you read the above posts, according to W69, BULBS are NOT covered with the Extended warranty from Sam's, and considering the cost of the unit, and the problems you see here, I wouldn't buy anything now over 500$ without somekind of EW.
JVC bulb warranty currently at 90 days. That's only THREE months. Buy a spare if you are purchasing for sure. I haven't YET, but I certainly do love that picture when it's working properly! HEY, luvacop, how about sharing the three model numbers the JVC rep said they are having "issues" with? KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.

Chris N

To FYI:
As an afterthought, I tried your link, nothing currently for sale, so, since I already put in my 2 cents and said this was the productive part, How much is this person actually asking for these much talked about bulbs? Are we realy talking a reasonable way out here?
Also, is it type-specific? Meaning, are there any other brands other than what W69 mentioned that might cross reference?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 495
I just thought it was nicely abbreviated.
I'm a little slow. No offence intended, W69.

It's up to each person to contact the seller by e-mail or by asking him a question through one of his auctions. Don't wait for him to list your model.

I don't know about any cross references.

Here is another link for lamp info, lamp care, why they cost what they do, etc.

http://www.ercservice.com/lamps/philips/PhilipsUHPLamps.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 332
Chris,

I think you are getting the Lamp required for the JVC D-ILA Series sets (Z, G, and I suppose the new "Designer Pro" series with the 3-step IRIS to improve black levels) confused with a post by FYI in which a $60 lamp can be retrofited into another housing.. He was talking about Samsungs.

The D-ILA series uses the Toshiba mfg'd TS-CL110U or TS-CL110Uaa, $199 direct from JVC.

It's a 110 watts (and it really needs to be about 40 watts as it is WAYYYY to bright)

BTW: There has been "talk" of ballasts that are "adjustable" to use differant wattage lamps, but I think the JVC unit is totally transitorized, and is non-adjustable.

W69: The part about the Samsung was directed to FYI. Sorry, I should have worded it better. As I only saw the demo in-store, I didn't find it overly bright. Is there any way to adjust this with controls? I think I was most impressed with the clarity of the picture, as it was in line with a wega, and samsung dlp. Like I said before, I was leaning towards a dlp until I saw this unit, and now that FYI mentioned the complexity of a bulb R&R, I'm even less inclined to persue it. My original question in an earlier post was "should we wait until JVC resolves this issue before we purchase it?" I have not yet read other posts on this site regarding this unit, so do you know of any other major issues going on with this set? If it is only the lamps, It still may be worth persuing. Would either you, or FYI buy this set again, knowing the problems here?
FYI and W69: thanks for the info in above posts, again, constructive for us newbies!
One more thought , is it possible to forward this thread to JVC? [ Just a thought]
I believe the email is proinfo@jvc.com
Again, thanks guys!
chris n.
"notageek"

Post Number: 5
FYI:
Using your above link [ read all info, thanks] I emailed them to see if they in fact have a cross-reference bulb to the model# W69 provided. When/if I hear back from them, I will post this info.[ As an possible alternate]
I see why now, they are expensive. Hopefully the cost will come down as new technology advances.
chris n.

Silver Member

Post Number: 336
Chris,

There is NO complexity of a bulb R&R. The Lamp (bulb) is user replaceable. It's about a 2 two minute job (or less). Once again remove the access panel, remove two screws and the lamp comes right out. A five year old could do it. (really)

If you're trying to retrofit some other kind of lamp into the set (whatever set, whatever mfg) then yes it would be complicated.. The lamp has to be matched up with the ballast. On the Samsung lamp FYI mentioned it appears, I would assume that they are using the SAME lamp in different housings... and people are swapping the lamp from one housing to another to save some $$$$$.

Would I buy the JVC again? In my case I bought a display at a greatly reduced price. If it had not been reduced in price I would have NOT bought it for the simple fact I had a "perfect" CRT based set with LOW run time on it...

To tell you the truth at the time of purchase I really didn't know much on the internals of the set... I hadn't been keeping up with all that stuff. My line of thought was the CRT based set (Toshiba 57H81) was a 2001 model, the JVC being a 2005 model, mfg'd Jan, 05 so it had to be "better"... (Or should be "better".) I knew nothing about it being a "new" model, the first D-ILA set to market (JVC Z series)...

About the only thing I was aware of the fact the set used a "lamp' and the lamps were "user" replaceable... The fact it was user replaceable, and the fact the set weighs about a hundred pounds, instead of 250 lbs or more for a CRT based set is a "plus" over the CRT based set it replaced.

PS: In case you missed it FYI is not a D-ILA owner as of yet. He's a big DLP fan... Mostly Samsung products.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 496
"and now that FYI mentioned the complexity of a bulb R&R"

That wasn't me. Lamps are consumable items, more like tires than transmissions, and are designed to be replaced by us.

"Would either you or FYI buy this set again, knowing the problems here?"

I own a Samsung DLP. The 2004 model HL-P5063 I owned had a Toshiba lamp that failed in the third month. There was no known issue with lamps at the time. It was replaced with a Phillips lamp that hasn't had a problem since. (4760 hrs+) My HL-R5067 came with a Phillips lamp that hasn't had a problem. (1540 hrs+)

Mr. Lynch has owned his JVC for well over a year with no lamp issue beyond the replacing of a defective one during his third month. The lamp issues with JVC seem to be from a recent run. The JVC thread archives are not riddled with lamp issues. From one post above, it sounds like JVC will take care of their set owners beyond the warranty until the issue is resolved.

I wouldn't buy any set with a "known" lamp failure issue. An RCA thread has some posts about their W162 model being replaced due to the non-availability of the lamp it uses. That sounds unreal. The Pan...ic LCxx TY-LA1000 threads are just plain scary!

I have researched and I believe in the Phillips lamp technology. I'll hang with their UHP lamps until laser light sources become a reality in RPTV.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 943
I was one of the first around to purchase the JVC DiLA set (August 2004), and I would buy the exact same model (HD-52z585) again without hesitation. I did have some issues (bad lamp, new light engine) back in Nov/Dec 04, but those were quickly taken care of.

My current Lamp has been in use about 13 months and atleast 2500 hours, maybe even over 3,000 hours of use.

I do believe that ALL rear projection sets have had some issues with lamps, but it is a small minority. Since there are only a couple companies that manufacuter these lamps we all are at their mercy.

I've also notice that it seems to be the original lamp the TV shipped with that blows early. Could they be geting damage in transit?
Eamples:
my JVC- 1st lamp 3 months, 2nd lamp 13+
Buddies Sammy HLN437- 1st less than 5 month, 2nd lamp 18+ months old now.
Aunt's Hitachi 60v500- 1st 6 months, 2nd has over 4,000 hours and nearly 2 years of use.

Unregistered guest
I have a ballast QAL0676-001 for the JVC TV HD61Z786. I need to know what is the input voltages that goes into CN101 connector.

Anonymous

MODEL HD56G786
MANUFACTOR JUNE 05
PURCHASED AUG. 05
The lamp crap out on me a week ago. Still waiting for replacement from JVC Said they would ship 2nd day air but I am still waiting. Tv usage 5-7 hours a day. After reading all of this I sorry I purchased this thing.

Called JVC on tuesday about my lamp was informed a supervisour would call me back in 48 hours. Once 48 hours was up and no one contacted me I called back and was informed a new lamp was sent out thursday regular mail and should recieve it by the 12th.

Username: Yogibo50

I have just had my second lamp replacement. The set is only 12 months old and was just out of the manufacturers warranty when the lamp blew for the second time. First lamp failed after 8 months (500 hour) second lamp only lasted 4 months (250 hours). I discovered that my Best Buy extended warranty did not cover teh lamp, even though it was only 4 months old. The policy does not cover 'consumables'. My take on that is that a bulb that fails due to malfunction (of the bulb or the set) should be covered and these suckers sure are malfunctioning. Anyway, with luck, my repair tech. contacted JVC and they agreed to cover the cost of a new bulb and his time, but I now worry about the future, am I destined to have a replacement bulb every 4 months at a horrendous cost of $580 (Canadian). I wrote off to JVC Canada to see what they had to say about the issue but they have not as yet responded. I will post any reply I get here for everyone to see.

Steve01
Unregistered guest
I have the JVC HD-52Z575 and my bulb burnt out in just over 400 hours. Called the number on the back of my Performance Plan and had someone out to verify it indeed did blow out (they always have to see for themselves, no biggy) and they are ordering a replacment and should be here within 5-7 business days.
Yeah it sucks being without my "D-illa" for a week.
Xbox 360 looks great on it BTW!
Best Buy's Service plan covers bulbs for the 4 years the plan lasts. This was updated to their service during the summer months, not sure when exactly (Verified through Best Buy Tech and non-Best Buy tech that came out to replace the bulb).If you bought the plan before that you should still be covered and should not have to worry......no, I am not a employee trying to sell you somethin. If you didn't buy the service plan they will always let you buy it within the Return/Exchange Policy of that product.

I bought my "D-illa" on 6/15/05. Its not in a enclosed unit and it also sits about 12" from the wall. I noticed the picture starting to dim a bit for about a week before it finally blew. It is plugged into a power filtering surge protector.

Good luck all who are having troubles. I can't wait to be up and running again....maybe I can have the repair company stock some extras for me if I need them....but that would be too easy.

PS. Yup I named my TV the "D-illa" cause its the HDILA and I think it sounds better and its easier to say and...um...yeah just forget I said anything.

Post Number: 6
W69, Thanks for the input.
FYI, re: complexity of bulb R&R PLEASE refer to post#486, dated dec 1. concerning "mounting in a dozen different proprietary housings" and "soldering them in" sounded a little more tricky than W69's R&R on the jvc. Maybe I just mis-understood.
I too was a sammy fan right up to the time I saw one next to a HDILA. There was no mistaking the clarity between the two. The WEGA was a little closer, but hdila-hands down. This is only MY opinion, as I'm sure there are also sony fans out there that would disagree. Different strokes, and everyone is entitled. Too bad the bulb in question is not a phillips!

W69
What does "rainbows" and "artifacs look like on a screen? I've read about this many times, but I can't seem to find a true description as to what you are actually seeing when these two problems are present. Apparently some people don't even see them when they are in fact present.
Just wondering.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 497
chris,

The "rainbow effect" is a DLP anomalie seen by very few people. It is actually a color triplet (red, blue, green) usually seen on older first through third generation light engines. It takes the right scene with the right ambient lighting and rapid eye movement to detect. For some this is evidently easy. For most it's impossible.

Artifacts are anything seen that doesn't belong. Digital artifacts can be anything from line flashes to macro-blocking. Digital compression (mpeg2) artifacts can distort the image. It's less apparent in close up scenes and more apparent in scenes at certain distances. SD sat signal suffers from digital compression.

ffo dessip
Unregistered guest
bought my JVC in sept this is the 3rd set in as many months, 1st one crapped out in 2 days 2nd one was installed by my wife & idiots from the store while I was at work, and they fried ALL the inputs on the back panel,now on the 3rd set and the 6000 hr bulb goes out, with no warning?
the book that comes with says there will be a warning displayed to replace the bulb.......you go JVC!bulb on the supposedly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 337
ffo dessip,

1: How did the wife and the idiots from the store FRY all the inputs on the back panel?

2: The lamp life warning message depends on the amount of run time.. It's a "timer", nothing more. If the lamp "goes-out" suddenly you won't get a message.

3: POST DETAILED INFO ON YOUR SET(s)...

NOTE: Without serial numbers,/ and or serial number range, etc... Without"detailed info" your info is UNVERIFIABLE and is meaningless. SEE below:

(Note not all sections may apply to you:-)

8: Note if set in plugged into a UPS -to not only FILTER incoming power, but to PROTECT set from BROWN-OUT conditions (low voltage)
9: Please note any differences between the old, and new lamp. D-ila lamps should be a Toshiba mfg'd TS-CL110U or TS-CL110Uaa.
10: Note part numbers of replaced parts.

Posting details like the above not only will "help" JVC address the problem(s)... but it will make it ALLOT harder for them to "wiggle" out of ANY claims, and/or lawsuits that may come about if these issues are NOT fixed. It will also "help" in cases in which someone is officially beyond the 1 year warranty, and repairs are needed.. To prove that there is some kind of design flaw that would warrant a recall OR replacement of the set with a updated model.

Detailed info will go a long ways towards getting JVC, the vendors of the parts to HONOR the RATED run time of the components /parts.

Silver Member

Post Number: 338
RE: bought my JVC in sept this is the 3rd set in as many months, 1st one crapped out in 2 days 2nd one was installed by my wife & idiots from the store while I was at work, and they fried ALL the inputs on the back panel,now on the 3rd set and the 6000 hr bulb goes out, with no warning?

BTW, How did the first set crap out?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us