HD61LPW165 - Screen glare or bright??

Grrnmo
Unregistered guest
It is tough to do much TRUE research on new models, as few examples of reviews exist. So, I am using reviews of previous units and trying to extrapolate...

I have a HD61LPW165 on the way to my house...it was an overstock for a company that I have done website work for and I got an INSANE discount...so, beggars can't really be choosers - however:

I read one review of a 50 inch 151 models (from 2003) that stated that the Scenium televisions were VERY bright and good in rooms with ambient light BUT they had a very refelective screen surface. Now, in my thinking these are mutually exclusive - if a television screen is good for a room with a lot of light (windows, lamps, etc) then having a reflective screen surface totally negates that!!!

The spec sheet I have downloaded for the 61" 165 model states that it has the Cinemascreen (like the one reviewed above) but lists an "anti-reflective" screen...so, which is it?

Also, this is going in a 20' x 20' fanily room - good size?

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Grrnmo, good news. The highly reflective screen that we put on our first generation DLPs was removed after the W151 and W42 models. Your W165 will not have the reflective screen, but the newer anti-glare screen.

I think a 61" would be a great set for your family room. Prepare to be blown away. The W165 is very nice model.

Grrnmo
Unregistered guest
Thank God...I thought I had done all the research I could and then AFTER choosing this set I read about the glare issue...good to hear the new screens are anti-glare. The room it will be in has 3 windows and then french doors leading to a sunroom with 12 windows!!

Hmmm...other things I have read about, considered:
1) Fan noise - I have a Sanyo PLV-Z2 in my home theater room (the DLP tv will be in the family room) and I LOVE it (waiting for the Z4 to get below $1500 before I replace it and hook the Z2 up for my kids Xbox360) and fan noise is just something you get used to. I have to imagine that the fan noise in a DLP tv "tucked into" and entertainment center will be less than the fan noise from a ceiling-mounted projector system!?

2) I have a 52" non-HD RCA rear projection unit that the W165 will replace...The W165 specs list the height as being virtually identical, and sitting in our chairs the middle of the screen for the old 52" is EXACTLY at eye level - should I still need to raise the W165 to get the proper vertical viewing angle?

3) The new "free" Directv brand HDTV satellite receiver is worth every penny...YUCK!!!!

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Regarding #2, For the best picture, you should plan on positioning your W165 so that the middle of the screen is at eye level in your chairs. I don't recommend putting the set directly on carpet, because some carpet is tall enough that it begins to restrict airflow from the bottom of the cabinet. I have a short stand that's about 10" tall for my 50" set, which works out perfect because I can still put a DirecTV receiver, DVD player, and home theatre amp under it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us