HD Plasma or LCD Brand Preferences

Username: In4itall

Gardner, MA USA

Post Number: 1
Alright... i am new here and i have a question as far as purchasing a new Large screen tv. I have read several articles on the differences between plasma & LCD tv's (Very good information contained in these forums.

The question i am posting to you is ... Which brand names are best for both Plasma TV's and LCD TV's? what are the Pro's and Con's to each?

Any information will help me greatly on what i will purchase and will be appreciated!!!
thanx

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 279
Display technology choices are largely falling out around sizes;

1. Anything less than 37 inches = LCD Flat Screen
2. 37-55 = Plasma
3. >55-70 = LCos technology, such as the new Sony SXRD line.
4. Big Screen effect = Front Projectors.

Of course this isn't an absolute in that there are 45 inch LCDs and 65 Inch plasmas. But when cost and quality are factored together, the above is the true landscape as of today.

AS far as Plasma brand names; Hitachi, Panasonic, Fujitsu, Pioneer are solid names. I can go into more detail wehn you have a specific brand in question as well as model number.

LCD flat screens have Sharp, Samsung and quite a few others. Again, specific questions can be answered with a specific brand and model number of interest.

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 171
Lets make some adjustments to Marc Shermans errors.
1.40inch and less = LCD's
2.37"and 42 up = plasmas
3.50-70 in LCoS sets

Username: Sj123

Looking for 50" (approx) plasma; just saw Panasonic (50") and the new Hitachi 55" HDS52 (Cineform). The panny was beautiful but the Hitachi looked amazingly better and won us over. I did note that the Hitachi (at Circuit City) was running a loop that may have been some kind of DVD feed and the panny was playing something else, so maybe the comparison was unfair. The reason I question it is that I came home & looked up reviews and Consumers Reports gave a relatively poor review to the Hitachi's 42" model (but same technology) and rated the panny 42" number 1 in picture quality. Yet other site reviews showed many people very happy with, and raving about, each of them. Did our eyes deceive us? Were we fooled by what was playing on each? I would really appreciate hearing what Marc or anyone else who has seen these two thinks about this?
Many thanks.
Steve

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 342
Sure.

1. I got to see the Hitachi 55 and 42 next to each other at CES 2006 in Vegas in January and was questioning the Hitachi rep...on why the 42 inch looked so much better than the 55 inch- as they were both getting the same feed ( a hard drive loop BTW). The 42 inch uses a different pixel/electron technology called " ALIS" it looked great to me.

The loop at Circuit City may have been a hard drive loop- I learned at CES , where they use these things, that that is the best way to get true HD resolution into a display, at least for now.

But heck- you should buy what you want. Hitachi makes a good product!

Panasonic has 58 inch ( a new size) and the great 65 inch 1080P display coming out this year at decent pricing, especially for the industrial models. BAsed on Panasonic pricing and quality- it looks like 65 inch plasmas will be the standard in a few yeasr as 50 inchers are today. The 1080P reolsution allows you to sit pretty close and not see the screen door effect.

The 58 inch panasonic--just announced a few days ago- may enter the market at about 5000, but I am not sure.

Username: Detroitconsumer

Grand forks, North dakota Usa

Post Number: 2
Fellas have u heard anything about the dell 26'' lcd tv? w2606c? it says it has a 16ms pixel response time 16:9 image aspect ratio 800:1 image contrast ratio (not dynamic) what are the differences between those contrast ratios? and a brightness of 500 also has a v chip??? are these specs good. all im really looking to do is play the x box 360 and get a crisp picture like the samsung 23'' lcd x box used to show off the 360 at stores and sometimes watch sports and stuff. thank u guys hopefully u can help me. only thing im not sure of is it only has 1 rear dvi hookup no hdmi hookups should this discourage me from buying this tv. and the price is 899.99 including tax its brand new and has a 1 year warranty is this a good deal?

Post Number: 3
sorry guys to keep asking questions its just alot of loot these days for an lcd tv plus not being rich doesent help. anyway about resolution what is the best resoultion would u want a 1920x1200 or the 1366x768 im assuming the 1920x1200 is far more superior would i be wrong? plus 1000:1 contrast ratio is obvisoully better than 800:1 right. will the 1920x1200 resolution still let me use 1080i and or 720p? THANK U VERY MUCH

Post Number: 4
well thanks for the help u fu$@s u dirty old fa$gots i appreciate it. why dont all u fu%%ing dic% licks go fu$# each other in the butt u rat bas@@rds

Username: Count_gothic

As I read through all these comments as to which is best Plasma or LCD. It occurs to me that LCD is better for general purpose ie regular TV programmes, gaming, watching DVD's. Whereas it seems Plasma is best served as for watching just DVD's. Mainly because of the "screen burn" issue LCD's would be better for just everything. But the home cinema fan would opt for Plasma.. have I hit the nail on the head?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us