Cable Card or HDTV DVR?

Username: Figjam

Post Number: 5
My cable company (cable one) offers both cable card and HDTV receiver, which is also a DVR. I just purchased a new DLP HDTV, and am wondering which I should use. The DVR only supports the use of component cables. Would I even benefit from using the DVR Receiver for HDTV programming? I know that I can record programs, but if I cant connect with DVI or HDMI through the HDTV DVR Receiver, should I still plan on getting it. Or would the cable card be suitable?

Please Help!!

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 565
K.
It all depends on what you plan on doing with the equipment. The DVR features are nice, which is pro for it and a con for the cable card. The cable card gives better reception then the DVR but lacks features...so ask yourself what is more important the quality of pictures or the whistles and bells?

Username: Tiggermac

Post Number: 2
Just bought a new Samsung DLP myself, they sold me on the cable card technology. It has been a nightmare, have to continue to reset card, reset channels, go days when I can't get any digital tier. Just switched over to HIDEF DVR 160 GB drive, paying $15 more. Cable card technology is ahead of the hardware being developed by TV mfgs. Some TV's are better than others. Also with cablecard you don't have anything but component video out if you want to record to external DVR. JUst my 2 cents
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us