The Super Bowl and cable

Username: Footballguy

Post Number: 1
I live in St. Louis, and apparently our local cable provider (Charter) and the local ABC network do not have an HD carriage agreement. As a result, I need to buy an antenna to get the Super Bowl in HD this year. I am guessing there are probably a lot of guys who got an HD set for Christmas and are looking forward to the Super Bowl, but have no idea this is the case.

I was just curious as to how many of you are dealing with this same issue right now, and what city you are in?

Aunt Enna
Unregistered guest
im to cheap to subscribe to cable hd so i have used the antenna for two years. cable goes out all the time so antenna helps in those situations to get my local channels

Anonymous

See Saturday's Post Dispatch article by Dan Ceasar on this subject:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/dancaesar/story/A953661CF AC34087862570FD001A1D71?OpenDocument

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 640
Sinclair Broadcasting (mentioned in the StL paper) owns our local ABC and Fox stations. The two cable companies in this area, Wow! Internet and Cable and Time Warner, have been holding out on paying ransom money to Sinclair.

Just as I was seriously considering buying an ATSC tuner (I've a HD ready TV) and paying for antenna installation (my HT is in the basement), WOW! announces they've come to an agreement with Sinclair. For once I made the right decision on a service provider. For two months now (at long last), I've been watching ABC and Fox in HD! There'll be a Superbowl party this year! :-)

WOW! has already warned its customers rates are going up. :-(

Meanwhile, Time Warner is still holding out. And for the second year in a row, its customers will be watching the Superbowl in SD.

eric-eric
Unregistered guest
I'm also in St. Louis and am highly disappointed in having no HD game this year. Charter doesn't even have an antenna port on the back of their tuners to allow you to pick up these additional local channels. Both my HDTVs are HD-ready, so I'm out of luck unless I buy a tuner just to get these extra channels. The best resolution I can find is to run the cable into the TV without using the HD box. The HD box seems to distort the non-HD channels. Does anyone have any recommendations for a better picture (running coaxial directly to the TV, S-video cable, etc..)?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us