Comcast Dig Cable, DVD Recorder, VCR Hookup

Mysoul
Unregistered guest
My brain is fried!!! I have read this forum and can't find step by step instructions anywhere...LOL.

I have comcast digital cable, a VCR, and a brand new Cyberhome DVD Recorder that I am trying to hook up. I have been doing this for hours and cant get it up and running. I beg of you...lol...please help me because I am obviously remedial with this!!!!

I do not have any S-video cables, just coax's, and lots of AV cables....everything but S cables, please help!!!!

Username: Mleaning

Post Number: 1
I recently set up a similar configuration...
comcast digital cable, VCR and panasonic DVD recorder.
I have tried two setups:
cable from the wall to the cable box cable in, cable box coax to DVD RF in, DVD RF out to VCR ant in, VCR out to TV VHF/UHF, DVD component video to TV video in, DVD audio out to TV audio in. With this setup, the DVD recorder channel setup only recognized channel 4 and 16, but I could record any cable channel if the cable box was tuned to the right channel and left on.

So then I tried a splitter to split the cable from the wall to the cable box cable in and the DVD RF in. Instead of the cable box coax out, I used the cable box audio/video out to the DVD audio/video in. Now, the DVD channel setup recognized cable channels up to 121 but no higher.

I would still like to record higher channels, so let me know if you find anything out!

Silver Member
Username: Tonytiger

PA US

Post Number: 119
Since the Comcast box has to decode the digital signals above channel 100 the only usable signal is the RF out. This can be run to an input on the recorder provided the appropriate channels are set on the recorder and cable box. Depending on your model of Comcast box, there may also be RCA phono (composite) out and/or S-Video out. But note the only output will be analog not digital.

Now if you invest in a HD Digital recorder that has component input then you "may" be able to record HD Digital signals as they pass through to your TV. I say "may" because this is where the Digital Rights Management (DRM) and Broadcast flag arguments come in. Who knows where it will end up.

Unregistered guest
need help connecting comcast cable box to ilo dvd player/recorder I have an in and out antenna then in another box I have titled input number 1. I have video and s-video. Right and left audio. Next box named audio output. It contains coaxial, right and left audio. Next box video output contains video, s-video, y, Pb-cb, PR-CR.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us