Progressive scan won't work

Username: Leykis987654321

Post Number: 1
? I have a Hitachi ultrascan HD ready TV with a progressive scan DVD player. when I first turn on my DVD player in PROGRESSIVE mode and play a movie it will play for 3 sec and then go black for 3 secs and so on and so on. Then when I mess around with the settings from interlace to progressive scan it seems to work...but I don't know if it is truley in displaying in progressive mode. I am using componet cables and the componet hookup is selected on my DVD player. can anyone help?

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 570
Brian,
During those fleeting seconds that you do see a picture (or after you get the player to work properly), you should hit the "INFO" button on your remote. The screen display should say "480p", thus confirming that the TV is seeing an incoming progressive signal.

I would recheck the component connection integrity. Then, assuming the TV works all right on regular (cable/sat/ant) TV signals, we can conclude you either have a bad DVD player, or a bad operator.

Recheck the owners manual for the player on initial setup procedure.

Post Number: 4
Thank you for the response. Couple of things, I know for sure that it is not the DVD player since this also happened with a panasonic that I use to have. So, like you said it is probably the TV or the cables....

One other thing, I tried to hit INFO on my hitachi remote but nothing comes up (there is not a INFO on my DVD remote). menu and all of the other buttons work so I guess that this is not a useable option for DVD. Is it safe to say that my 5 year old TV has 480P capibilty?

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 575
Brian, are you sure that TV is a digital HDTV? Five years ago there were lots of TVs with component hookups, but that didn't necessarily mean they were able to handle a progressive scan signal. So no, your TV may not have 480p capability.

Post Number: 5
According to the specs yes but I just read something online where someone else had the same exact problem. They said that they called Hitachi and they are sending someone out but they did not say what the outcome was. I am going to call today and post the outcome....hoefully it is something good.

Post Number: 6
Here is the outcome, according to Hitachi my processor in my tv is conflicting with the one in my dvd player. He knew right away exactly what I was talking about so this must be common. But some good news, he said that playing the moive in interlace will have the same picture quality becuase Hitachi's upconverter will display it in the best picture possbile. Don't know if that is true or not but there is nothing else that I can do.

Thanks again for your help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us