Need help picking out a tv

Username: Andrew266

Medford, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1
Hello, Im new here and I have been saving some money over the holidays for a new tv, i was wondering whether to get a 32 inch lcd or a 42 dlp. I have been very happy with Samsung products and I want to stick with them. Im looking for something thats going to last me a while cause I am a college student and have little funds. And i want some good hd quality. Here are my two choices and the setup of my room.

42 inch DLP HL-R4266W
32 inch LCD LN-R328W

5 foot viewing distance
Samsung DVD-P348 DVD PLAYER (ALL REGION)
iO Digital Cable

Yamaha 6.1 Surround Sound
HTR-5750 Reciver
NS-AP9500 Speakers

Little Bird
Unregistered guest
I'd go with the 4266, you definitely want as large a picture as you can get. Although if you can make the stetch you should be able to get the 5067 for around 2250 this week at either CC or BB.

Bronze Member
Username: Jumpback

Post Number: 31
Recently I purchased a 32"LCD HD Samsung. Not sure if it is the same one you are mentioning. This one was $1799 at Conn's and Samsung has a promotion and they will send you a DVD player as a bonus.

If you are only five feet away the 32" will do you just fine. The Samsung is extremely bright and the HD picture is about as fine a picture as you will find. We really like the performance.

Medford, Ny Usa

Post Number: 2
I am worried about dead pixels with the lcd and then i heard with the dlp the rainbow effect and he hinges have to be replaced after 80000 hours thats only about a year im conffused. I want to go with the 42 but i dont want to move my head to see the whole picture.

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 140
It's 80,000 hours of USE, not 80,000 actual hours. Plus there are no "hinges" per se that could even be replaced. They are freaking microscopic, easier to just replace the whole DMD chip. 5 feet is kind of close though so I'd likely recommend the 32 LCD, it is a gorgeous picture.

Medford, Ny Usa

Post Number: 3
yea im thinking of that too but im really woried about dead pixles, i hear burn in is not an issue with them but im not sure, and the 12ms response worries me a bit i play alot of fastpaced games

Annoyed with you
Unregistered guest
My advice is to not buy an HD TV. You're so focused on the downsides of the various technologies that you'll never be able to fully enjoy them. You'll just be waiting for something to go wrong. You're kind of a pain in the butt.

Username: Hayhamm

Post Number: 8
Dear Annoyed With You--

You show up, unregistered, in a forum just to flame somebody who is asking legitimate questions?!

Maybe you have money to burn, but an HDTV is a major expense for most people and they want to be sure to make the right decision.

IMHO, the same kind of decency and politeness you would offer someone in a face-toface encounter should be extended to the cyber world as well.

If you don't have something constructive to add to a discussion thread, find another one. There are thousands.

Heff Jammond
Unregistered guest
Dear Jeff-

You show up here a new member just to flame someone who is offering legitimate opinions?!

Maybe you have time to burn, but writing a dismissive flame post and acheiving the proper level of pithiness is a major expense in time. In this case I really do think it's good advice, I'm not telling the guy "Just pick one and roll" I'm telling him NOT to make a major purchase that he seems determined to regret for one reason or another.

IMHO (TRANSLATION: not humble at all but arrogant and self assured) I'd offer the same opinion in person if I had the chance. Some people should NOT buy HDTVs.

I'd also like to add this is not an actual "cyber world", those only exist in science fiction movies. The internet is actually just a communication device and it works great for communicating disgust or impatience.

If all you have to add to the discussion is preaching try one of the various religious forums. There are thousands.

Username: Hayhamm

Post Number: 9
You'll notice that I've posted 8 times, and you continue to flame away while not having the courage to register.

BTW, calling someone a "pain in the butt" in your post hardly counts as "a legitimate opinion."

Ignoring you now
Unregistered guest
Sure it does, you just chose to see an insult and ignore the legitimate opinion it came with, namely don't buy an HDTV.
You continue on your high horse there guy. I'm sure that some day your courage (that's funny) for registering an anonymous screen name on this forum will be recognised, possibly by the president of the "cyber world".
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us