35" RCA F35731MB S-Video won't work?

Username: Enfilade

Summerside, PEI Canada

Post Number: 2
Hi, I currently own a 35 inch RCA F35731MB Television, manufactured in 1994. Given by a relative of mine.

Anyway, my problem is, I can't get the S-Video to work. I tried plugging all kinds of different devices into the S-Video input, using different S-Video cords, couple are high-quality gold plated, one is just regular, but I still recieve nothing on my television. Regular Composite works fine, but whenever I plug the Regular Composite, it shows up on both channel 90 and 91 (90 being s-video channel, 91 is input 1), obviously this is not correct. Anyone resolve this problem? Can it be fixed easily?

Help would be appreciated, thank you very much.

Feel free to PM, or E-Mail (enfilademAThotmailDOTcom) me on this problem, and once again, thank you.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
I'm not certain if this set has automatic input switching or not. Try looking in the menus to see if there is a video input switch that you must change from composite to s-video to use the s-video input. Don't have the composite plugged up at the same time as s-video, maybe it is overriding the signal.

Summerside, PEI Canada

Post Number: 3
Okay, I looked closer in the menu, but I've found nothing special

What I've found in the menus are:

Captioning: Off
Sleep timer: 0:00
Set Alarm
Chan Label
Parental Ctrl: Off
Chan Ctrl: Normal (maybe this is something?)
AutoProgram
Chan Mem: Stored
Cable/Air: Cable (what is this?)
VCR 1 Chan: 92
VCR 2 Chan: 90
Cable Chan: 91
Clock Set -hr +min

Went through the other menus, but they're all just the picture control (tint, color, sharpness, etc), and audio controls, nothing important.

Also, I tried it with ONLY the S-Video plugged in, nothing else. Still nothing.

What's weird to me is, well, when the regular composite (the yellow video input with the red and white audio inputs) shares the S-Video and the Input 1 when something, for example, a DVD player is plugged in. Input 2 (the second regular composite yellow plugin), is just seperate from them both.

Would appreciate some help if possible. Thanks once again.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
I don't see anything that you are doing wrong and you don't have a video switch in the menu. My best guess is that the s-video jack may be bad. I'm sorry I couldn't help more.

By the way, sharing the composite and s-video input is sometimes done by tv designers, so I don't think that is too unusual. They assume that you will use one or the other and not both, because you have just one set of audio inputs to go with them on that input.

Summerside, PEI Canada

Post Number: 4
Yeah, I figured it might just be a bad input afterall. I mean, it should just work if something's plugged into it. Aw well.

One more question though, is something like this difficult or expensive to get replaced? I guess it could be something internal too, not too sure... Maybe I'll take the back off (I'm aware I should never touch anything, I could hurt myself very badly if the tube is holding a charge...)

Anyone can reply to this, thanks alot once again!

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Just a guess on my part, but if it's the jack, it shouldn't be much to fix. However, it could be something deeper into the chassis that would take more time to troubleshoot (and cost more). The biggest hassle of a 35" set is just moving it. By the way, you have looked carefully at the s-video cable and verified that all 4 small gold pins are present on both ends, right?

Summerside, PEI Canada

Post Number: 5
Yeah, checked all the pins, used different S-Video cables, and pretty much anything else you can think of. I'll just have to deal with what I've got until further down the road when I have a little extra cash on me to get someone to take a look at it...that's if I can move it back downstairs (enough hassle taking it up for crying out loud!) :-)

Anyway, thanks for the help, and of course, if anyone still has any other ideas, please do share them.

Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us