HD Locals-suggestions on what to do?

DebF
Unregistered guest
Just bought a Samsung 42" HDTV and I currently have Dish Network. After hooking everything up I wasn't real happy with the picture (dvds are beautiful so I know its not the tv)so I sprung $800+ for the Dish HD 942 receiver and am forced to take the hi def package which are a few channels I really will never watch. I was really disappointed to find out the local channels that advertise hi def do not come in without a seperate antenna. I went to Radio Shack and bought their best hi def antenna (terk something)
I hooked that up and the picture from that was horrible like the old rabbit ears of the 60's! even though i'm supposedly less than 15 miles from the station transmitters. I called Dish for help and they said the antenna was probably too strong and picking up more than it should (?) soo I returned the antenna and Radio Shack said basically Dish was crazy.
Now i'm seeing that Comcast has an HDTV package with the local channels in HD. Thing is I despise Comcast from a situation that happened 4 years ago when they went digital (long story short- they gave me a bad digital box and wouldnt come swap it for 3 1/2 weeks)I've been with Dish ever since and love them and their customer service (well except for the antenna thing lol)
anyway to make a long story longer I called Dish to tell them i'm thinking of switching because of the local HD thing and they told me that tentatively in March 2006 they are going to have locals broadcast in HD (in the top 25 markets). If this is true I can wait--but I have 30 days (from 12/7 to 1/7) to return my 942 if I want to switch to comcast.
from what I've read here the comcast non-HD channels are disappointing and we do watch alot of non locals too.
So do I put up with the grainy picture for a few months or switch to cable? Or try another antenna?
I hate hate change and vowed never to go back to Comcast but after spending over 4 grand on all this stuff i'm really frustrated.
one other possiblity if it can be done someone tell me: I have Comcast internet which comes with basic cable (it was cheaper to get the basic + internet!)that we dont use, it is hooked up in a spare room. Could I buy their HD local package and run the cable into the 942 as if it was an outside antenna until dish goes HD local?
I want HD locals in time for Lost, 24 etc!
I'm almost at the point of going back to 19" B&W (do they still have B&W's? lol)with rabbit ears
anyone who read all this -thanks I fell better just for venting
Deb

Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 6
Deb,
does your Samsung have a ATSC (digital HD) tuner ? To receive over-the-air HD broadcast signals you need an ATSC tuner and many sets sold today are "HD-ready" which means you need to buy a tuner separately. Your Dish HD 942 is supposed to have the off-air tuner built in, so check the manual for where to connect the UHF antenna to the box and try again.

debf
Unregistered guest
yes, the Samsung does have the hidef tuner built in, according to dish network the only way to get the locals in hidef is with a seperate antenna, until they come out with hidef locals in the next few months (in Atlanta) but -wait for it- I will need a new! receiver. the 622 supposedly will be necessary even though I just bought the 942 for $800 (and no they will not take it back or trade up)

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 19
all you will need then is an external antenna, probably on a rotor motor, and the HD you receive over the air will be "better" than the compressed HD that is re-broadcast by Dish. Plus, after the initial cost of the antenna and coax, it's free from that point on, so the pay back is pretty quick.

check out

http://www.hdbeat.com/2006/01/30/ota-hd-demystified/

it explains the mysteries of antennas and gives some excellent sources.

debf
Unregistered guest
but the big thing is I want to run it through my (Dish)DVR. I want to be able to record and pause.
I'd sacrifice a small amount of quality for that feature.
The HD I do get from Dish (Voom and the few channels in their HD package)is beautiful

Username: Scherrman

Post Number: 8
You need a HDTV with a ATSC tuner built in. The tuner will allow you to receive off-air channels in digital and HD with an antenna. You need to realize that not everything on tv is being broacasted in HD. Your locals won't always be in HD when you get this equipment, they have to broadcast the show in HD. Like local news wont be in HD abc but the big Basketball game might be. You may just have to do some more studying to understand how it all works.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us